Jaw surgery | Golden Skate

Jaw surgery

Lanie

On the Ice
I'm scheduled to get jaw surgery on Sept 20 at 8:30am.:cry: I'm getting my upper jaw removed from my face, heh, and moved forward a bit, screwed with titanium plates. The lower jaw, I'm getting bone removed from the back of each part of the jaw and it's getting moved back. Plates, screws, and I am wired shut with my braces. AAAH. A month - they told me rubberbanded for two weeks but now it's wired shut a month. Liquid diet for a month. Now most people owuld be thrilled to lose 10-20lbs like I will be, but I'm only 4'11" and like 95lbs!!!!! I'm so scared about the AFTERMATH of the surgery, how I'll deal with it all, and so on... my dad and stepmom are not very comforting, and my mom is coming down from Northern CA t be with me but only for a week or two. My boyfriend works full time but is taking some time off to be with me, but...aaarg. I wasn't scared about it until we finally got all this moving...now it's terrifying...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
EEsh, sounds rough. I remember a girl in high school that had that done and the results were great. She looked really good. Kinda had that Pat Benatar look at first. So I would say you are going to be happy as well your teeth and digestion of better chewed food should give good benefit, I would imagine.

Sorry to hear that M&D aren't being all that supportive, but it might just be how it appears - sounds like you have a good boyfriend though. It is hard for some to understand, so much of life is relative. I have had a high pain tolerance because of experiences when I was young, like a piece of sheet metal going through my cheek when I was 7, so my "pain and recovery relativity" is different then a person who has not been injured until they were older. But that doesn't mean that their pain small, it is great to them and I respect that whether it is less of an injury. I hope you understand what I mean. Like a 3 yaer old who skinned their knee, doesn't sound like that big of deal to you or I maybe, but to that kid it could be the worst thing ever and that should not be mocked in any way.

You are about to undergo something major and you M&D probably do care more than it might seem, but they have no way to show it in a way that conveys the right message - they could have never experienced something that dramatic or something far worse. But for what ever the reason they don't show it, I bet they care but just can't relate. Maybe they have went through it and it turned out great and now they only remember the result.

Anyhoo, I feel for you and hope all goes well and a speedy recovery. Good wishes and positive feelings sent you way. If it is a big deal to you, it is a big deal:agree:

Good luck!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Good luck Lainie be sure to keep your nutrition up.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Wow that sounds rough!!! Makes my ordeal not quite as bad. Take care of yourself and make sure you drink plenty of meal replacement supplements like Boost for example. I was drinking Boost while my ulcer was healing as I was not terribly hungry. It's not that bad. Keep us posted. I wish you the best.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
well. I sure would be thinking about milk shakes. :rofl:
Anyway, sure sounds like a long ordeal. I've discovered that after a couple of days, surgery pains are a whole lot less. You have my prayers and hopes for the ordeal to be much easier and less painful than you think it will be. Have all kinds of books, needlework, etc. ready. If it were me, I would start trying to edit all those skating tapes I have. (In the hundreds) Also, I hope you have lots of friends that come to visit. I would have more time to play with my plants more. Best of luck and I hope that it isn't nearly as bad as you think it might be.
:love: :love: :love: :love:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow! That sounds like a real ordeal. I truly wish you all the best with the surgery.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
((((((((((((((((((((HUGS LANIE))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Lanie, as Piel said keep up with your nutrition. My mom has been sick for the past couple of years and lost tons of weight but in some way could afford to lose. Now she is getting kinda bony and her appetite is almost nil. One of the things that we give her and it stopped the weight loss was a product call Boost. It has lots of good stuff in it. Just a suggestion.

Dee (((((((((((((((HUGS AGAIN!!!)))))))))))))))))

millie

Medalist
Hey Lanie, best of luck with your surgery. Like Dee4707 said in her previous post. Boost is a very nutritional drink with with all your daily vitimans and nutrients that your body needs. It will prevent your from losing weight and keep you healthy.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
That is quite a procedure you are having done. Good luck Lanie and a speedy healthy recovery.

Alsace

On the Ice
I had my lower jaw moved back the summer between my junior/senior year in high school. Even in hindsight, I'd do it again. I was wired shut for six weeks. I enjoyed ice cream five times a day. Have lots of snacks (I ate six times a day); try to get all your water supply from ice cream and meals, instead of a water bottle.

I never requested pain medication in or out of the hospital. Just stay home for about a week, without doing much.

Bring paper and pen to the hospital. The only thing the doctors did not prepare me for was that I was unable to speak (when you wire the jaw shut and then the mouth swells because of surgery, the articulators don't work as well) for about a week.

You may get sick of soup. I was never a soup person, and I didn't eat soup for probably three years afterward. To this day, I will not eat tomato soup.

I think, like Seanibu said, you will be pleased with your appearance afterwards. I know I am. No visible incisions is a nice plus, too!

((((hugs and prayers)))))