Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ISU concerned with Celebrity TV Skating Shows

Custom Title

ISU concerned with Celebrity TV Skating Shows

Not exactly sure what they're getting at, but here's the ISU missive:

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/...-0-file,00.pdf

Down With It
    I think they want celebrity skating shows that have "judges" and where the teams "compete" to be ISU-sanctioned events. They see them as "competitions" rather than "shows".

I should be studying!
    I think perhaps an eligible skater was asked to join a celebrity show, the skater's federation asked the ISU and this is the response. I don't think the ISU is trying to horn in on these shows, but is trying to make it clear that these are for non-eligibles.

Custom Title
    Or, could someone be thinking of inviting pros to something along the lines of "Skating Idol"?

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    I think it's just another case of $peedy trying to control everything that happens on an ice rink.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop View Post
    I think it's just another case of $peedy trying to control everything that happens on an ice rink.
    As long as a skater remains eligible, ISU has that right. These days certain skaters seem to wish to eat their cake and to save it in the same time, so to speak, LOL.

have to agree with ISU in this matter. As far as I have understood, those events are sort of competitions which are being judged. Well, if an eligible skater is eager to participate, she/he can turn pro in that case.
    Last edited by Jaana; 09-03-2006 at 02:36 AM.

Custom Title
    This statement indicates that eligible AND ineligible skaters are discouraged/prohibited from these events. I agree with JonnyCoop, more arrogance on the part of the ISU and Speedy

POWER POWER POWER

Joe

Sounds like you are all correct. It is most likely a little bit of everything. But mainly controlling imo.

eta - they must not understand the residual effect of increasing popularity. It might bother them that they didn't think of it. It was kinda a no brainer with all of the types of show following that format. - wasn't it Nancy K who put the first one together?
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 09-02-2006 at 11:47 AM.

Custom Title
    Since Speedy and the ISU don't get a cut of the monies out of these shows, I can understand why there are suddenly rules discouraging eligible skaters from participating in these shows. (Not that I agree with his thinking, LOL) Speedy's just a greedy dude. If it doesn't benefit him and the ISU financially he doesn't want skaters to benefit either.

On the other hand, if the ISU were to allow eligible skaters to participate those skaters might be able to make money to help pay for the costs of their very expensive sport.

Tripping on the Podium
    All your base are belong to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Lining View Post
    You should give a link for those who may not have seen that yet, really funny

ETA- http://allyourbase.planettribes.game...eo1_view.shtml
    OK I will. Most I am sure have but thank for reminding me of that. Haven't thought about it for a couple of years.
    Last edited by Mathman; 09-03-2006 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Sean, I put your deleted post back up, OK? I had never heard of that and your link was hilarious.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Lining View Post
    That sums it up very nicely. I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop View Post
    Indeed - the next communication will probably say that the shows have to pay a bunch of money to the ISU in order to broadcast...knowing what a greedy man $peedy is he'll probably even try to control the careers/take a sum for future earning from the Celebs who take part

Ant

Actually, though, I can see Speedy's point. Besides the control thing, he wants to be firm on the point that figure skating is a legitimate athletic enterprise, not a clown show.

On the other hand, if this type of entertainment becomes popular, Speedy might be biting the hand that feeds him. Maybe it would stir up some much needed publicity for the sport if they had, say, Sasha Cohen teaching Brad Pitt to skate -- and then afterward she ended up pregnant and broke up Brad's marriage to Angela Jolie. ... Nah, that's too far-fetched.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast