Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ISU concerned with Celebrity TV Skating Shows

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by La Rhumba View Post
    If I might say so Attyfan, I find that view a little patronizing, and as far as the UK is concerned, not accurate.

The after effects of the first series of Dancing on Ice have been two fold:

1) An incredible upsurge in interest in Skating, both at the rinks, where they were packed out for public sessions, queues were literally around the block, and many have continued Skating themselves, or taken their children for lessons.

2) T&D's career has totally taken off again, with a whole swathe of new fans, too young to remember them first time round, and the new fans' interest in them has led to a general interest in the sport, and other skaters, including eligible, as DOI UK coincided with the Torino Olympics.
    I apologize if I offended anyone by sounding patronizing -- and I am glad that DOI did better for skating in the UK than Skating with Celebrities did for skating in
    the US.

Quote Originally Posted by La Rhumba View Post
    If I might say so Attyfan, I find that view a little patronizing, and as far as the UK is concerned, not accurate.

The after effects of the first series of Dancing on Ice have been two fold:

1) An incredible upsurge in interest in Skating, both at the rinks, where they were packed out for public sessions, queues were literally around the block, and many have continued Skating themselves, or taken their children for lessons.

2) T&D's career has totally taken off again, with a whole swathe of new fans, too young to remember them first time round, and the new fans' interest in them has led to a general interest in the sport, and other skaters, including eligible, as DOI UK coincided with the Torino Olympics.

You just have to look at the massively increased numbers registered on the FSVids Forum, which came around the time of DOI UK series 1, with people wanting to catch up and learn all about the sport.

Exactly! These shows are a lucrative business, infact the UK show was just about the only big success that ITV had all year, with over 11 million viewers [for a population of 60 million, that's very high.]
    It was very professionally created, with high production values, not in any way tacky, and the daily update show DOI Extra featured children skating often at the end of the programme, or other Touring Companies, like the Russian Ice Stars or Holiday on Ice.
    We would never see any of these performers usually, as Skating had become a 'Cinderella Sport' in the UK, with very little terrestrial TV coverage, and no coverage of the British Championships since 1999, when the BBC dropped the contract.

Ofcourse once people become interested, it's up to our governing body NISA to look after and cherish that interest [which they haven't always been successful in doing] but there's no denying that interest and an upturn in the whole aspect of Skating, be it Competitive or Show Skating, has definitely been created as a result of the Dancing On Ice TV Show - accepted a large part of that was Torvill & Dean's involvement.

What would help IMO is if the ISU lowered their contract price so that Eurosport could regain the rights to broadcast the GPs. Wouldn't that do more to spread the word about competitive skating instead of getting into a huff about light hearted entertainment TV shows?
    Did it ever increase the popularity of the sport in the UK. While DOI was on the air the thursday tea time adult group lessons who used to have about a quarter of the rink coned off for them for an hour with about 6 adults learning then went on to take over two thirds to three qaurters of the rink with something silly like 60 people (though after that first blunder, management realised that numbers shoul dbe limited!) now nearly a year later the adult tea time group class on a thursday still takes up two thirds of the rink, sometimes there's about 30 of them on the ice and a lot of them are in tehir own skates and really making progress and there are many more adults to talk to and get to know in the public session that follows it - all good stuff as far as i'm concerned!

Ant

Custom Title
    I don't know what all the hoopla is about == it is a skating show for ENTERTAINMENT = half the people who watch don't even know who the skaters are = they know who the stars are and I think it is watched to see how they skate = can't the ISU stay out of it and let us just enjoy a show

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Did it ever increase the popularity of the sport in the UK. While DOI was on the air the thursday tea time adult group lessons who used to have about a quarter of the rink coned off for them for an hour with about 6 adults learning then went on to take over two thirds to three qaurters of the rink with something silly like 60 people (though after that first blunder, management realised that numbers shoul dbe limited!) now nearly a year later the adult tea time group class on a thursday still takes up two thirds of the rink, sometimes there's about 30 of them on the ice and a lot of them are in tehir own skates and really making progress and there are many more adults to talk to and get to know in the public session that follows it - all good stuff as far as i'm concerned!

Ant
    That's really fantastic to hear!
    Great that the enthusiasm has continued almost a year later, and it wasn't a flash in the pan. Even Bonnie Langford, who came 3rd in the show, continued skating, with her husband and daughter taking it up aswell, and is now actually a much better skater than she was in the show. She skated a performance of "Bolero" with her Pro partner [hunky] Matt Evers at a private function for ITV Execs recently.

I have heard and read that the upsurge in interest is all over the country too, so let's hope it continues, NISA and the rinks nurture it well, and GB will have many more future champions in ISU events!

Quote Originally Posted by CB1AB2 View Post
    I don't know what all the hoopla is about == it is a skating show for ENTERTAINMENT = half the people who watch don't even know who the skaters are = they know who the stars are and I think it is watched to see how they skate = can't the ISU stay out of it and let us just enjoy a show

ITA! It's only the die-hard skating fanatics that recognize the skaters, it's not a competitive event, it's a show, like the old variety, family entertainment.

Rinkside
    Maybe I'm just cynical, but maybe Speedy is TRYING to get back to the good ol' days of no television coverage = no hassle over bad judging?

Custom Title
    If they were eligible skaters, I can understand the ISU being concerned. I see this as just another effort by the ISU to control everything, and hurt all aspects of FS. They already destroyed the pro competitions, something that I miss even today. Now they seem to be after anybody that is skating and making money (it's not like the top eligibles don't make money).

Is it me, or does the ISU seem to be "acting" a little fascist? Do they have the best interest of the sport in mind or their own pockets?

Custom Title
    I only watched the first episode. Never saw it again, didn't like it that much.

In Spotlight on Skating, in an editorial otherwise complimentary of the ISU, Lisa Herdman makes fun of Cinquanta's bizarre decree with these words:

"So, nine judges, an event referee and a three-person technical panel have to evaluate B-list actors, retired sports figures and soap opera stars just learning to do crossovers? Celebrities have to pour over the ISU "Code of Points" and worry about "transition" moves before lacing up their skates? C'mon, lighten up.

"If the ISU is looking for a consulting fee or gratuity from network programmers, they should find out how they can earn one honestly and get involved in a poritive way..."
    Last edited by Mathman; 10-22-2006 at 06:30 PM.

Well said Lisa, thanks for the report.

Lightbulb UK DOI Update!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...490057,00.html

Tour-ville and Dean hit the road [includes lovely pic]
    October 23, 2006

DANCING On Ice will go on the road next year with skating mentors Torvill and Dean.

It will be the first joint tour for Olympic champs Jayne, 49, and Chris, 48, in more than a decade.

ITV plan to take the show around the country in the same way X Factor goes on tour after the series ends.

An insider said: “We hope it will be huge.”

Celebs being lined up to skate include Ulrika Jonsson.

BTW X Factor is the Simon Cowell talent show that has replaced Pop Idol here.

Custom Title
    I see nothing wrong with programs like that = there is "dancing with the stars"
    "Duets = singing with stars = why not skating with the stars too

The ISU tolerates the Marshall's Phone In Competition which is basically only for entertainment.

Joe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast