Interesting to see Slutskaya's scores at Olympic vs Arakawa. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Interesting to see Slutskaya's scores at Olympic vs Arakawa.

Irina and Arakawa or Cohen?
Irina and Sasha. They each landed four triple jumps.

But Sasha beat Irina in all other phases of scoring. In spins and step sequences, Sasha got 21.55 points to Irina's 19.30, while in program component scores it was 62.41 to 61.87 in favor of Sasha.

We just have to get used to the idea that in the New Judging System you get points for everything you do, and these points can add up even if you fall on other elements.

Slutskayafa said:
Cohen's jumps are baby jumps, none of them should receive any +GOE
The judges agreed. Sasha did not receive any positive GOEs for any of her jumps except a 0.57 for her final triple Salchow.

krenseby

Final Flight
Irina and Sasha. They each landed four triple jumps.

But Sasha beat Irina in all other phases of scoring. In spins and step sequences, Sasha got 21.55 points to Irina's 19.30, while in program component scores it was 62.41 to 61.87 in favor of Sasha.

We just have to get used to the idea that in the New Judging System you get points for everything you do, and these points can add up even if you fall on other elements.

The judges agreed. Sasha did not receive any positive GOEs for any of her jumps except a 0.57 for her final triple Salchow.

It's pretty obvious though that Irina's jumps, though still higher-scored than Sasha's, were much worse than she has done in other competitions, which really brought her down more than anything else.

The crux of the issue is is that Irina lost to Cohen this time because she didn't do her usual array of jumps and not for any of the other reason.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I thought Cohen landed five jumps. Didn't she attempt seven and fail on two attempts?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty

Well she should not have had that then. :biggrin:

Sasha's final step sequence gettting all almost all +2 GOEs from the judges was also outrageous, it was good but nothing out of this World to get that.

Anyway I did not start this thread to be about Sasha "overscore" Cohen so I will stop before I get too far into her.

Last edited:
I thought Cohen landed five jumps. Didn't she attempt seven and fail on two attempts?
Oh, yes, so she did. I guess I wasn't giving her full credit (as the NJS does not) for both jumps in her 3T/3S sequence.

So she outjumped Slutskaya and landed the same number of triples as Arakawa. No wonder they gave her second place.

I am having a hard time switching over to the CoP mindset. In the olden days a program with 2 falls would be judged harshly against a clean program. But in the new judging system you can strike out in the first inning, yet still homer in the ninth and have a good shot at winning. I guess that makes figure skating "more of a sport."

MKFSfan

Medalist
Sasha also got dinged for 2 footing the salchow in her sequence, so technically speaking, Sasha landed 4 clean triples at the Olympics (although she was credited with 7 fully rotated triples.)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Cohen's jumps are baby jumps, none of them should receive any +GOE.
She also approaches and lands them with perfect posture and often nice run-out, and she has terrific rhythm in the air.

Slutskaya's have power and height, but her posture is poor and she often lands them on a stop or a tilt.

It's a trade-off.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
She also approaches and lands them with perfect posture and often nice run-out, and she has terrific rhythm in the air.

Slutskaya's have power and height, but her posture is poor and she often lands them on a stop or a tilt.

It's a trade-off.

I dont find that at all. Cohen flutzes, she leans in the air, and only on some of her jumps does she have nice run out, alot she lands stiff and with no flow too. The only jumps Irina lands with no flow on a good day is her triple lutz, the rest have good flow out, and her form in the air and rythym is better then Cohen's as well, and she actualy takes off with proper edges unlike Cohen.

Fossi

Final Flight
In discussion of the SP: Didn't Sasha 2 foot one of the jumps? So, not exactly a "clean skate?" If so, I can't understand putting someone that makes an obvious error in the SP (technical portion) the edge over a clean skate.
I would've preferred to see Fumie ahead of both Sasha and Irina for the silver. Sasha and Irina were a mess and didn't deserve what they got.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
In discussion of the SP: Didn't Sasha 2 foot one of the jumps? So, not exactly a "clean skate?" If so, I can't understand putting someone that makes an obvious error in the SP (technical portion) the edge over a clean skate.
I would've preferred to see Fumie ahead of both Sasha and Irina for the silver. Sasha and Irina were a mess and didn't deserve what they got.

I am an Irina fan and I thought both Sasha and Irina were overscored compared to Fumie in the long program, big time.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wonder if she would have indeed gotten silver under the 6.0/ordinal scoring.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I dont find that at all. Cohen flutzes, she leans in the air, and only on some of her jumps does she have nice run out, alot she lands stiff and with no flow too. The only jumps Irina lands with no flow on a good day is her triple lutz, the rest have good flow out, and her form in the air and rythym is better then Cohen's as well, and she actualy takes off with proper edges unlike Cohen.
Slutskaya had a flutz which she pretty much corrected to at worst a flatz, while Cohen's flutz is awful. Cohen takes off properly for all other jumps. However, Slutskaya rarely has any flowout at the end of her combinations, and I've seen her (live) stop dead at the end of many of her combos, particularly the 3Lz/2T and 3Lz/2Lo. If you watch her posture and form in her turning 3's into 3Lo, she's bent at the waist in her entry and her foot position is open and rather sloppy; the trade-off is that she lofts them (usually). Compare that to Kostner, who doesn't have the same height in the turning 3's into 3Lo, but who has exemplary posture and tight free leg position in the entry.

As far as jump counts, it was 6 for Rochette, 5 for Arakawa, 4+ for Cohen, due to the .8 factor for performing two in sequence, and 4 for Slutskaya.

As far as jump counts, it was 6 for Rochette, 5 for Arakawa, 4+ for Cohen, due to the .8 factor for performing two in sequence, and 4 for Slutskaya.
Intersting, to put it that way. Also five for Suguri and Meissner.

In fact, if you just go by jumps, here are the total points for the top six on the 7 jumping passes, including GOE:

Arakawa: 40.41 (gold)
Rochette: 39.51 (silver)
Suguri: 36.45 (bronze)
Meissner: 35.72 (pewter, and a street named after her in her home town)
Slutskaya: 34.56
Cohen: 33.67

R.D.

Record Breaker
That's more like it. But I'm surprised to see Rochette up so high. I forgot her jump content and how she did overall at the games...

That's more like it. But I'm surprised to see Rochette up so high. I forgot her jump content and how she did overall at the games...
3F, 3Lz+2T, 3Lo, 3S, 2lz, 3T+2T+2Lo, 2A+3S (sequence).

Fifth in the free and overall, but she was too far back (ninth) in the SP to have a chance to medal.

However, she's going to :rock: at Skate Canada. (Defending champ Alissa C. :love: is dead meat :rofl: )

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Mathman, if you are going to go just by jumps to give out the medals and final placings you should also add on the short program jumping totals, and then the combined jumping totals from both short and long, no? :biggrin: