Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Interesting to see Slutskaya's scores at Olympic vs Arakawa.

Down With It
    I think it was that Suguri didn't have the advanced "tricks" that the top 3 did so even a clean/relatively clean performance from her wasn't enough to make up much ground (I think there was a 4 or 5 point difference after the short?)

It's always disappointing to me to see such flawed performances win Olympic medals, but hey, it's all about who's the best on that particular occasion...and at least the gold medalist was clean...
    Last edited by R.D.; 09-03-2006 at 03:09 PM.

Banned
    I am finding breaking down these scores alot of fun though. Watching Mathman do it is kind of interesting so I am trying to get the hang of it.

Under the old 6.0 system maybe Suguri would have gained a better fate in the end? Probably since there was more emphasis on skating clean, or close to clean then.

Down With It
    She would have gotten a medal. Most likely bronze...and push either Irina or Sasha (more likely Sasha, since she had two falls to Irina's one) off the podium. That's actually probably the way the outcome should have been, or at least switch Cohen and Slutskaya. Arakawa was the clear winner though, no matter how you score it.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill508 View Post
    I watched it on TV but not being real "smart" on the technical stuff (Im slowly learning on GS), I thought Fumie was going to get the bronze if not the silver. I thought her performance was better then Irina & Sasha.
    I'm not either and thanks to Goldenskate I'm finally starting to . . . however, I've studied Fumie and I've noticed her arms and facial expression, there's just no grace there. Her facial expression is that of "I just want to get this over with". I think her time was over and she should chalk up her contribution as that of an inspiration to the ones coming up, but unfortunately, in her time she was overshadowed by the Baiul/Kwan/Cohen frenzy.

But yes, she's a cutie and she was a trailblazer in Japanese figure skating, without a doubt, but medal, no way.

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    That's actually probably the way the outcome should have been, or at least switch Cohen and Slutskaya.
    Why? They both landed the same number of triples, and the 3T was the only clean triple Slutskaya landed.

Down With It
    Irina and Arakawa or Cohen?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan228 View Post
    Why? They both landed the same number of triples, and the 3T was the only clean triple Slutskaya landed.
    Cohen's jumps are baby jumps, none of them should receive any +GOE.

Irina and Arakawa or Cohen?
    Irina and Sasha. They each landed four triple jumps.

But Sasha beat Irina in all other phases of scoring. In spins and step sequences, Sasha got 21.55 points to Irina's 19.30, while in program component scores it was 62.41 to 61.87 in favor of Sasha.

We just have to get used to the idea that in the New Judging System you get points for everything you do, and these points can add up even if you fall on other elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Slutskayafa
    Cohen's jumps are baby jumps, none of them should receive any +GOE
    The judges agreed. Sasha did not receive any positive GOEs for any of her jumps except a 0.57 for her final triple Salchow.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Irina and Sasha. They each landed four triple jumps.

But Sasha beat Irina in all other phases of scoring. In spins and step sequences, Sasha got 21.55 points to Irina's 19.30, while in program component scores it was 62.41 to 61.87 in favor of Sasha.

We just have to get used to the idea that in the New Judging System you get points for everything you do, and these points can add up even if you fall on other elements.

The judges agreed. Sasha did not receive any positive GOEs for any of her jumps except a 0.57 for her final triple Salchow.
    It's pretty obvious though that Irina's jumps, though still higher-scored than Sasha's, were much worse than she has done in other competitions, which really brought her down more than anything else.

The crux of the issue is is that Irina lost to Cohen this time because she didn't do her usual array of jumps and not for any of the other reason.

Down With It
    I thought Cohen landed five jumps. Didn't she attempt seven and fail on two attempts?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Well she should not have had that then.

Sasha's final step sequence gettting all almost all +2 GOEs from the judges was also outrageous, it was good but nothing out of this World to get that.

Anyway I did not start this thread to be about Sasha "overscore" Cohen so I will stop before I get too far into her.
    Last edited by slutskayafan21; 09-04-2006 at 09:14 AM.

I thought Cohen landed five jumps. Didn't she attempt seven and fail on two attempts?
    Oh, yes, so she did. I guess I wasn't giving her full credit (as the NJS does not) for both jumps in her 3T/3S sequence.

So she outjumped Slutskaya and landed the same number of triples as Arakawa. No wonder they gave her second place.

I am having a hard time switching over to the CoP mindset. In the olden days a program with 2 falls would be judged harshly against a clean program. But in the new judging system you can strike out in the first inning, yet still homer in the ninth and have a good shot at winning. I guess that makes figure skating "more of a sport."

Custom Title
    Sasha also got dinged for 2 footing the salchow in her sequence, so technically speaking, Sasha landed 4 clean triples at the Olympics (although she was credited with 7 fully rotated triples.)

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21 View Post
    Cohen's jumps are baby jumps, none of them should receive any +GOE.
    She also approaches and lands them with perfect posture and often nice run-out, and she has terrific rhythm in the air.

Slutskaya's have power and height, but her posture is poor and she often lands them on a stop or a tilt.

It's a trade-off.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan228 View Post
    She also approaches and lands them with perfect posture and often nice run-out, and she has terrific rhythm in the air.

Slutskaya's have power and height, but her posture is poor and she often lands them on a stop or a tilt.

It's a trade-off.
    I dont find that at all. Cohen flutzes, she leans in the air, and only on some of her jumps does she have nice run out, alot she lands stiff and with no flow too. The only jumps Irina lands with no flow on a good day is her triple lutz, the rest have good flow out, and her form in the air and rythym is better then Cohen's as well, and she actualy takes off with proper edges unlike Cohen.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast