Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Interesting to see Slutskaya's scores at Olympic vs Arakawa.

Down With It
    and do you think that's why Cohen may have trouble on the jumps?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    and do you think that's why Cohen may have trouble on the jumps?

Yes her edging is insecure on both takeoff and landing of her jumps, that is where alot of her inconsistency comes from. Her suspect jump technique.

Custom Title
    In discussion of the SP: Didn't Sasha 2 foot one of the jumps? So, not exactly a "clean skate?" If so, I can't understand putting someone that makes an obvious error in the SP (technical portion) the edge over a clean skate.
    I would've preferred to see Fumie ahead of both Sasha and Irina for the silver. Sasha and Irina were a mess and didn't deserve what they got.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fossi View Post
    In discussion of the SP: Didn't Sasha 2 foot one of the jumps? So, not exactly a "clean skate?" If so, I can't understand putting someone that makes an obvious error in the SP (technical portion) the edge over a clean skate.
    I would've preferred to see Fumie ahead of both Sasha and Irina for the silver. Sasha and Irina were a mess and didn't deserve what they got.
    I am an Irina fan and I thought both Sasha and Irina were overscored compared to Fumie in the long program, big time.

Down With It
    I wonder if she would have indeed gotten silver under the 6.0/ordinal scoring.

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21 View Post
    I dont find that at all. Cohen flutzes, she leans in the air, and only on some of her jumps does she have nice run out, alot she lands stiff and with no flow too. The only jumps Irina lands with no flow on a good day is her triple lutz, the rest have good flow out, and her form in the air and rythym is better then Cohen's as well, and she actualy takes off with proper edges unlike Cohen.
    Slutskaya had a flutz which she pretty much corrected to at worst a flatz, while Cohen's flutz is awful. Cohen takes off properly for all other jumps. However, Slutskaya rarely has any flowout at the end of her combinations, and I've seen her (live) stop dead at the end of many of her combos, particularly the 3Lz/2T and 3Lz/2Lo. If you watch her posture and form in her turning 3's into 3Lo, she's bent at the waist in her entry and her foot position is open and rather sloppy; the trade-off is that she lofts them (usually). Compare that to Kostner, who doesn't have the same height in the turning 3's into 3Lo, but who has exemplary posture and tight free leg position in the entry.

As far as jump counts, it was 6 for Rochette, 5 for Arakawa, 4+ for Cohen, due to the .8 factor for performing two in sequence, and 4 for Slutskaya.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan228 View Post
    As far as jump counts, it was 6 for Rochette, 5 for Arakawa, 4+ for Cohen, due to the .8 factor for performing two in sequence, and 4 for Slutskaya.
    Intersting, to put it that way. Also five for Suguri and Meissner.

In fact, if you just go by jumps, here are the total points for the top six on the 7 jumping passes, including GOE:

Arakawa: 40.41 (gold)
    Rochette: 39.51 (silver)
    Suguri: 36.45 (bronze)
    Meissner: 35.72 (pewter, and a street named after her in her home town)
    Slutskaya: 34.56
    Cohen: 33.67

Down With It
    That's more like it. But I'm surprised to see Rochette up so high. I forgot her jump content and how she did overall at the games...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    That's more like it. But I'm surprised to see Rochette up so high. I forgot her jump content and how she did overall at the games...
    3F, 3Lz+2T, 3Lo, 3S, 2lz, 3T+2T+2Lo, 2A+3S (sequence).

Fifth in the free and overall, but she was too far back (ninth) in the SP to have a chance to medal.

However, she's going to at Skate Canada. (Defending champ Alissa C. is dead meat )
    Last edited by Mathman; 09-04-2006 at 09:56 PM.

Banned
    Mathman, if you are going to go just by jumps to give out the medals and final placings you should also add on the short program jumping totals, and then the combined jumping totals from both short and long, no?

Banned
    This is how I recall Tracy Wilson broke down the scoring and the results between Slutskaya and Cohen, when she broke down the scores into different areas:

"So while Irina Slutskaya allowed the major mistakes on her jumps to affect her other elements(spins and steps) and overall performance level as well; Sasha was able to put the mistakes on the jumps aside, and deliver the rest of her performance and that was the difference for the silver medal."

The one part I dont agree with on that is that I dont feel Irina's quality of spins, steps, and PC suffered noticeably more after the two jump errors, I feel they were already below her usual standard from the very start. I did not get a good feeling from the start of her program, although if she had landed all her jumps she still would have probably won, I was worried about her performance from the start and how she looked even before the big jump errors. I dont know what it was, extreme pressure, her performance lacked any of its usual spark, and her elements all looked ragged and shaky from the start. I remember thinking to myself in horror from the start, "omigod if she ever tight, either that or too tired."

Granted she seemed to rush through the final straightline footwork, you could almost tell she was already very upset since she knew she was not going to win after the second major jump error, and she both lost value since it was valued only a level 2, when it could have been valued at a level 4 done properly, as well as GOE scores, which might have been enough to eke out the silver if it was really well done. Irina was pretty much set on the gold in her mind from the start though, once she realized that was gone I am not sure if she really cared that much.

Down With It
    Well Irina already has an Olympic Silver, so she doesn't really need another one I guess she figured.

Cohen didn't have an OM so she needed to fight the rest of the way as hard as she could to even have a chance at one. She really lucked out, kind of like Sarah did to win in 02. (Who was the "lucky" one in 98...and don't tell me Lipinski )

However, she's going to [rock] at Skate Canada. (Defending champ Alissa C. is dead meat )
    Bold of you. The GP series has never been predictable in the years I've been here...skaters that are supposed to rock the house tank, and virtually unknown skaters get the opportunity to experience a podium finish.

Custom Title
    Sadly, Slutskaya peaked in her first two competitions of the season and never regained that spark. Her programs in Turino were just sloppy and lacking in energy.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21 View Post
    Well it was her short program scoring that surprised me. It was her lowest scored short program all year I believe, and I thought she would get a higher score in the short program and win the short. So that surprised me.
    I too was surprised on her SP scoring. Figure skating judging being what it is, LOL, I wondered whether her loss to Mao Asada (a junior skater!!!) in GPF SP and FS caused that SP scoring in the Olympics.
    Last edited by Jaana; 09-05-2006 at 04:25 AM.

Down With It
    Sadly, Slutskaya peaked in her first two competitions of the season and never regained that spark. Her programs in Turino were just sloppy and lacking in energy.
    Maybe Slutskaya should have followed the example of her friend and skipped the Grand Prix. Then maybe she would have won.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast