Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin Dies | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin Dies

backspin

On the Ice
I also never realized that rays could be so dangerous. I petted some at the London Aquarium, and I don't remember any warnings about possible injuries.

I bet at those exhibits (I've seen them in various places), they've removed the barbs.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Who knew the stings were deadly? If they did why didn't they have a medic around?

Joe

unfortunately it happend in a blink of an eye... the medics didn't have time to even know what happened before he was gone...

Discovery is running a 'in memory' ad on their network... it's popped up a couple of times today...

heyang

Record Breaker
One article speculates that it was the photographer who was filming above and in front of the ray that might have spooked it.

Kasey

Medalist
One article speculates that it was the photographer who was filming above and in front of the ray that might have spooked it.

This is kind of sad to me. Speculation of this sort at this point can only hurt the surviving members of the documentary team, including the photographer, who must feel shock and grief and perhaps some guilt already. A young, healthy, and larger-than-life man is killed in an instant in their party, and it is impossible to save him. There is going to be people having feelings of "Well, if we just did this...." or "what if ...." already. I hope that no one, like the photographer, will have added pressure or guilt placed on them for what was just an unfortunate, one in a million freak accident. :(

Zanzibar

Final Flight
This is kind of sad to me. Speculation of this sort at this point can only hurt the surviving members of the documentary team, including the photographer, who must feel shock and grief and perhaps some guilt already. A young, healthy, and larger-than-life man is killed in an instant in their party, and it is impossible to save him. There is going to be people having feelings of "Well, if we just did this...." or "what if ...." already. I hope that no one, like the photographer, will have added pressure or guilt placed on them for what was just an unfortunate, one in a million freak accident. :(

I completely agree. These animals, while 'friendly' when in packs, are pretty skittish when solo. The first time I dove with them years ago we had a videographer and we purposely approached one that was buried under the sand - you could spot it by two black discs (eyes) just above the sand. The point in 'approaching' it was that it does startle - and then quite magestically and instantaneously rises out of the sand, shakes itself off, and swims away. This has probably been done a zillion times by videographers as it is beautiful to behold, and the stingrays don't get aggressive. I think being in such shallow water Irwin was just in the wrong place at the wrong time - a bit deeper and there may have been enough distance between himself and the spooked ray.

I'll shortly be putting up the scuba diving photos from my trip with Alexander Abt on the IFS website and on my own site - in the ones on my site there will be a couple with stingrays and you can easily see that at least these stingrays were very friendly and engaging in human contact - sometimes definitely closer than we were comfortable with - but not in an aggressive way, just in a 'looking for food' way.

Last edited:
The first time I dove with them years ago ...

I'll shortly be putting up the scuba diving photos from my trip with Alexander Abt on the IFS website and on my own site - in the ones on my site there will be a couple with stingrays and you can easily see that at least these stingrays were very friendly and engaging in human contact -...
A little bit OT, Z, but...is there ANYTHING that you haven't done? :rock:

Zanzibar

Final Flight
A little bit OT, Z, but...is there ANYTHING that you haven't done? :rock:

Well MM, you've got to keep these skaters entertained!

But really, on a serious note, I'm a wimp. That's why I so admired Irwin - such a fearless guy - or maybe that's the wrong word....such a courageous guy. He just seemed like the kind of person who could have gotten through anything - like if there was a nuclear holocaust/natural disaster/war....he'd be the guy to have by your side to try and survive.

As a very successful man once said in to me in a 2004 interview, "It's the golden bullet you don't see coming that get's you." That was tragically so true in Steve Irwin's death. Who would imagine a stingray....would strike a blow....right to the heart.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Well MM, you've got to keep these skaters entertained!

But really, on a serious note, I'm a wimp. That's why I so admired Irwin - such a fearless guy - or maybe that's the wrong word....such a courageous guy. He just seemed like the kind of person who could have gotten through anything - like if there was a nuclear holocaust/natural disaster/war....he'd be the guy to have by your side to try and survive.

As a very successful man once said in to me in a 2004 interview, "It's the golden bullet you don't see coming that get's you." That was tragically so true in Steve Irwin's death. Who would imagine a stingray....would strike a blow....right to the heart.

Yes, he would have been the guy to have in a foxhole with you. I'd feel alot safer. It's still a shock, it hasn't sunk in completely, yet.