Left-handed ballet question | Golden Skate

Left-handed ballet question

E

eliza88

Left-handed ballet question

My 5-year old daughter is taking ballet right now...she is getting ready for her first performance! I mentioned to her ballet teacher early on that she was left-handed, her teacher said that ballet tends to strenghten both sides. When watching her class rehearse she does everything opposite (example-everyone else circles their ribbons with their right hand counter clock wise, and she circles with her left clockwise). At this stage of the game ballet is all for fun, my questions is how much of a problem is it for lefty's as they get more advanced? I am guessing group performances would be more difficult...

eliza88

J

Joesitz

Re: Left-handed ballet question

Eliz - Everyone favors a way to rotate whether it's pirouetting; spinning, tours en l'air or jumps. Most favor turning to right in ballet and to the left in skating but there are those who differ.

Unlike skating, ballet does stress both sides at all times from the very first lesson. A dancer will always feel more comfortable to one side but the dancer will become strong enough at the other side too.

I would not worry about your daughter if she has competent teachers.

Joe

L

Ladskater

eliza88:

I am a "southpaw" figure skater and much prefer to do everything to the left. I had no problems with skating. I am no expert on ballet, but I would imagine it is much the same. Karen Magnussen learned to do all her moves both ways and took ballet as well. I am sure your daughter will adapt and things will work out. Being left handed sometimes things take adjusting, but we lefties have a way of adapting in a right handed world! Be patient.

Ladskater

N

Norlite1

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><strong>I am a "southpaw" figure skater and much prefer to do everything to the left. I had no problems with skating.</strong>[/quote]

If you preferred to do everything to the left (counter-clockwise) the reason you had no problems in skating was probably because you were in the majority. Most skaters spin, jump etc. counter-clockwise. And it really has nothing to do with being right, or left handed. My daughter jumps clockwise, as does two of her training buddies, and they are all right handed. I, on the other hand :)lol: pun intended) am left handed, and if still skating, would prefer to jump counter-clockwise.

R

rgirl181

Eliz,
Everything Joe said about ballet is absolutely right. In fact, ballet is one place where it truly doesn't matter if you're a lefty.
Rgirl

L

Ladskater

Norlite1:

Oh really? My natural instincts are to the left, but I can adapt and do a lot of functions to the right. So no need for the sarcasm. I don't agree, not every skater does everything to the left some prefer the right (I don't). I was merely trying to encourage eliza not to think her daughter is impeded by being a lefty. There are still people out there who think being left handed is a "handicap." In fact, most artistic people are left handed. There are many famous left handed people. Leonardo Da Vinci was left handed.

Ladskater

N

Norlite1

There was no sarcasm in my post, I'm amazed you saw any, quite frankly. You mentioned that, even as your natural inclination in skating is to the left, you had no problems skating. I merely pointed out that "the left" is the norm in skating, so why would there be any thought of a problem in the first place. Estimates are 90% of skaters jump counter-clockwise. Of course that is not "every skater". There is still that 10% of which I pointed out my daughter is one. As I said in my previous post, it has nothing to do with being right, or left handed.

BTW, I am left handed myself, and in my 49 years, never once have I thought of myself as "handicapped". Equating a slight inconvenienced with a handicap is somewhat over the top, not to mention offensive to those who live their lives daily with a true handicap.

E

eliza88

Thanks all for your input...good to know should she want to keep doing ballet that being a lefty won't get in her way! I would guess that as she improves/ages the teacher would also pay more attention to group numbers being in unison. It's pretty hilarious to watch a group of 4/5 year-olds performing--let's just say that her being a lefty won't be the stand alone factor in unison breaks!

eliza88