Michelle's Announcement | Golden Skate

Michelle's Announcement

kittyjake5

On the Ice
Michelle has announced her plans for this season. Unfortuantely I do not know how to link, but you can go to www. usfsa.org and read the article.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=35383&type=news

Here's the link... Good for her... She's a role model, a champion, and a shining example of all the good competitive sports are for children, teens and adults. I have nothing but the utmost respect for her and all that she's given to this sport.

Skaters come and go and skating goes on, but I think the skating world will miss her the most...

Michelle Kwan, The Greatest of All Time

Last edited:
It's wonderful news! Michelle has already had the rumored surgery and a full recovery is expected. She's going to school full time and seems for the first time to have a real direction for her studies (political science and international relations).

(No mention of her Denver-based boyfriend, but that's our Michelle :love: -- keep 'em guessing!)

MM :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
about time we heard something from the camp. Seems like everything is going well for her. I think she's likely finished with competitive skating.

But many of the rumours/speculations were right on!!

Unfortuantely I do not know how to link, but you can go to www. usfsa.org and read the article.
Thanks for the head's up, Kittyjakes.

To post a link, just go to the page that you want to link to, copy the URL from your address bar, and then paste it into the Golden Skate dialogue box.

The vBulletinboard software will do the rest automatically.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
(No mention of her Denver-based boyfriend, but that's our Michelle :love: -- keep 'em guessing!)

Her billionaire boyfriend... gotta love her... when the sheer awesomness fairy was passing it out ~ Ms. Kwan got in line twice... Woohoo!!! On to the next phase of a spectacular life...

R.D.

Record Breaker
If she has a boyfriend better to keep that on the down low. I know I'd personally hate to be exposed like that.

But speculation can sometimes be worse than fact. At least she's not Lindsay Lohan.

BF is a public figure in his own right, so I don't think he cares.

I know if it were me....if it were me...if it...i...

(oops, I kind if lost my train of thought there) :)

waxel

Final Flight
I wonder if she plans to do any training in the Denver area?

Guess I'm out of the loop. Anyone want to share who the boyfriend is speculated to be??

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker

Guess I'm out of the loop. Anyone want to share who the boyfriend is speculated to be??

Michelle's boyfriend is Christian Anschutz, son of a prominate Denver real estate developer who is worth billions... his dad is also the president of an ultra conservative group who is famous for leading the charge to ban gay marriage.

I do not know where Christian's politics stack up, what his beliefs are, and his voting record. I just know he's Michelle's billionaire boyfriend.

R.D.

Record Breaker
ah, so that would explain it. But I take it this is pure speculation. Unless anyone here has seen the two of them get intimate, we can't know this for sure.

R.D.

Record Breaker

I'd venture she'd need to recover from her surgery first. She seems like she's beginning to get serious about college, though, and I think she'll find that once she gets deep into her studies she may lose interest in competitive skating...she may do some shows or skate recreationally, though...

I was at the Denver airport the other day and saw two of the big posters that Phil Anschutz' public service foundation put up as part of it's "Pass It On" campaign. (I think Anschutz owns the land that the airport in built on.)

The two I saw were Christopher Reeve and Benjamin Franklin. So quite natually I dashed all over the airport to see if his Michelle poster in the same series was there.

I didn't find it (I think it was up at Times Square for a while, though).... Missed my connection... Oh well, when you're a Michelle fan, what can you do?

waxel

Final Flight
Thanks KW. Let's hope the son doesn't share the politics of the father. Guess we really don't know too much about Michelle's politics either... but one would think she'd lean toward being more liberal than her possible future father-in-law!

I hope she will continue to train some while in Denver ... just in case.

R.D.

Record Breaker
oh well, who cares about political leanings or whether MK is liberal or conservative?

Besides, anything MK's done to suggest she's more liberal? I wouldn't assume one leans a certain way unless they've done something that would suggest so. (and I don't think hanging out with Bush would suggest she's conservative, either...)

Unless anyone here has seen the two of them get intimate, we can't know this for sure.
I thought I saw her whispering in his ear at the White House reception for President Hu of China a couple of months ago. Or was that George Bush? :p

floskate

On the Ice
ah, so that would explain it. But I take it this is pure speculation. Unless anyone here has seen the two of them get intimate, we can't know this for sure.

Can't remember for sure but there was Denver media speculation about MK attending University there and linking her to this guy. This was waaaaaay before her surgery during a break on COI when she was spotted there. 2 out of 3 have been proved right (surgery and Uni) so why not the third? :laugh:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I was glad to read about Michelle's plans and I hope she has a full recovery.
I will miss her but at least I know she won't be competing unlike last season
when everything with her was up and down and then the disappointment
at the Olympics. I wish her well.

Also I read on another board that the reason she decided to
go to school in Denver was to be near her boyfriend. I do not
have any facts but I think it is more than speculation.

Last edited:
Boy, did this thread fill up in a few hours!!!

Thanks kittyjake.

One has to be patient with news from the Kwan camp. It has to be correct otherwise it would not appear on USFS site. But still no news of the boyfriend.

Some Christian Conservatives are biased or at least indifferent towards others not of their ilk. Let's hope the son is more than just an attendee at a fund raiser.

Arthroscopic surgery works but will it be enough to get the Great One back into competitive skating? Time will tell.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
I'm just happy she has already had the surgery, and that the initial reports seem very positive. I have zero medical expertise, but this does seem less extensive than what some of us had anticipated, doesn't it? Don't count her out ... while she may never make it to another Olympics, maybe just one more season is not an impossibility.

In any case, she seems to have a good plan for this upcoming year, and I certainly wish her all the best!!! :clap: