Michelle's Announcement | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Michelle's Announcement

CDMM1991

Medalist
"edge jumps like the loop"

What's an edge jump? :unsure:

A jump in which you take off the ice without the help of a toe pick. The edge jumps are axel, salchow, and loop, and the toe jumps are the aptly named TOE loop, and flip and lutz.

R.D.

Record Breaker
OH, ok. that helps a lot. I replayed a couple videos and noticed this phenomenon too. Thanks. of course I still wouldn't be able to tell the different EDGE jumps (except for Axel) and the different TOE jumps apart but this is a start.

OH, ok. that helps a lot. I replayed a couple videos and noticed this phenomenon too. Thanks. of course I still wouldn't be able to tell the different EDGE jumps (except for Axel) and the different TOE jumps apart but this is a start.
RD. If you do not see a toe-off, it is an edge jump. The three most used edge jumps are Axel, loop, and salchow. The Wally and Inside Axel are not seen much these days and they get no credit in competition.

The loop jump and the salchow both strain the hip on the skating leg. The loop jump on the outside of the hip and the salchow on the inside of the hip. Constant practices of these jumps (like Tara) lead to hip problems and some with groin problems (think salchow and Gardner) unless skaters take care of sore muscles in strange places.

Toe pick jumps alleviate the strain of loops and salchows.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
aha, I see now. Makes a lot of sense when I think about it, too, because in order to do an edge jump you have to push down on that hip to get in the air, right? (not a skater so I could be wrong)

From what I've gathered, this type of injury is more commonly seen among dancers. I'm sure Joeitz can enlighten us more (he seems to have inside knowledge! I apologize if I'm wrong.) I was chatting with my friend's husband-an orthropedic Dr. this AM. He said it's common when doing moves that require extreme flexibilty and turn out of the hip joint, more so than what the person is naturally capable of, which is why you see dancers with this injury. But it probably is becoming more common amongst skaters now that it's practically required to yank your foot up to your head in spirals and spins, doing beillmanns, catch-foots, etc. which apply so much torsion to the hip joint, and causing the bone to grind against labrum.
Your doctor is correct. dancers live in pain most of the time. hips and knees get it mostly but toes, feet and backs are not exempt. Then there is the arthritus that follows after retirement.

Linebackers in football get arthritus beginning at 50 and badly and their's is caused by bone and muscle injuries. Many just live in wheel chairs.

But that's the way it is in sports - contact or not.

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well, know one can compete forever. Whatever road Michelle takes, I am sure she will always be connected to figure skating in someway. Thanks for the update.

sk8addict

On the Ice

I take it DU is a large campus? right? If it has more than 6,000 students I'd say forget it...it's gonna be pretty tough to find her unless they find themselves taking the same classes as she is...(or the best bet might be the school library)

6,000 students is nothing when you are looking for someone. UTexas has over 50,000 students. We have high schools with 6,000 students.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
that's actually what I mean. Where I'm at, there's about 5,000 students and I'm running into acquaintances (sp- I think I butchered that word) all the time. I'm just saying that if it's a massive university- with 15,000 or 20,000 students- it's gonna be much harder.

Here's the write-up about Michelle on the official University of Denver web page.

http://www.du.edu/today/stories/2006-09-07-kwan.html

"'The University of Denver welcomes Ms. Kwan as we would any other student,' says Jim Berscheidt, the assistant vice chancellor of news and public affairs. 'We also respect her right to privacy and will respect her wishes in this regard.'"

R.D.

Record Breaker
^ not a very shocking or surprising statement...reminds me of what police officers say when celebrities are arrested..."they will be treated like any other convict..."

In her junior year Michelle can apply for study abroad as a "Cherrington Scholar." U of Denver has reciprocal and study abroad programs in many countries, but one of their most prestigious is in Beijing China, held in co-operation with the University's Institute for the International Education of Students and the Beijing Foreign Studies University.

http://www.du.edu/intl/abroad/programs/china.html

So two years from now -- let's see -- Michelle would be in Beijing right on time to be a television commentator for the 2008 Summer Olympic Games, while at the same time she could open a Disney World and introduce a new line of high fashion under the Vera Wang/Michelle Kwan label.

All of this in preparation for her appointment as Ambassador to China. ;)

Eeyora

Final Flight
I wish Michelle the best! I hope she is recovering nicely without too much pain. I think the key to recovery will be staying off the ice and avoiding strenuous activity. Hopefully her backpack doesn't weigh that much.

Hopefully her backpack doesn't weigh that much.
:laugh: :laugh:

And here's a quote from Michelle's agent, Shep Goldberg:

"She's very interested in international studies," Goldberg said. "The Christian Anschutz thing, I can't comment on that. One reason she's attending there is because of their excellent school of international studies."

http://www.denverpost.com/olympics/ci_4297372

So there you have it. Brain, yes. Heart -- no comment. :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hmm, dodging the subject, huh? The speculators COULD be onto something after all...(still not going to believe it 100% though until confirmed by reliable source)

(eta): could easily have said that he knows nothing of MK's private affairs; he is only her agent. That would have put everyone in their place. :yes:

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
:laugh: :laugh:

And here's a quote from Michelle's agent, Shep Goldberg:

"She's very interested in international studies," Goldberg said. "The Christian Anschutz thing, I can't comment on that. One reason she's attending there is because of their excellent school of international studies."

http://www.denverpost.com/olympics/ci_4297372

So there you have it. Brain, yes. Heart -- no comment. :laugh:

Maybe, Michelle wanted to study international relations, but picked Denver to give the relationship some time -- with what sounds like a good sized school to (a) get lost in or (b) find someone else in if things with Christian go sour. After all, Michelle was dating that hockey player (Ferrence, or something like that) for a long time, and they broke up.

Brad Ference seemed like a nice guy (even though he was an "enforcer" type on the ice, LOL), and as far as I know he and Michelle parted amicably. He was as shy as Michelle about never saying anything in public about their relationship.

If I remember my Michelle gossip correctly ;), just before the break-up (or anyway, just before it was publically announced in the Phoenix newspapers), Michelle spent a week or so with Brad putting on a skating camp in association with the Phoenix coyotes hockey team.

That was a bad week for Ference. He not only lost his girlfriend but also his starting role on the hocky team, and since then has been bouncing around trying to get his career back on track. (I don't know if he has a new girl friend yet, LOL.)

ladybug

On the Ice
My guess is that Michelle's first consideration was the doctor and rehab she would need for her surgery. Her second consideration would be the education available to her while she was in rehab and Denver had both things she was looking for. The boyfriend was icing on the cake and reinforced her decisions.

She is going to be pretty busy. Studying for school, going to rehab and doctor appointments plus doing exhibitions down the road and being a spokesperson. Somewhere she is going to have to do some skating to prepare for the exhibitions and to get some of her flexability back.

Her boyfriend is also busy with his own property developments so I doubt that she will have a lot of time to spend with Christian. Maybe she wants to take this opportunity to get to know him better and be certain that he is all she thinks he is and if she wants to continue this relationship.

I for one would love to see her come back and win one more National title but her health and happiness are more important.

I vote for Michelle Kwan for president. Who knows - maybe someday.

Ladybug