Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Video Thread v.2...Switching Codecs Again

Down With It
    so, 2, 2, 1.
    I take this to mean you prefer these in the order that they were posted. I'm inclined to agree with you here. I could post some Divx videos but you wouldn't be able to compare them to the .mpg files so there's really not much point there...

You may ask why I'm doing all this. My mission is to find a codec that can keep as much of the original quality of the imported DV-AVI file as possible. Since DV-AVI takes up 1GB of space for every five minutes, it's definitely out of the question as an archive format. So I have to compress the videos so that a freeskate is not 1.4GB in size but more like around 100-200MB. And which codec can compress it to that level and maintain more quality? That's the mission here.

Down With It
    Divx simply SHINES when it comes to HD footage, though. I just got finished with encoding a source .mpg HD 1280x720 video (that I downloaded from somewhere else) and the Divx codec can maintain much of the original sharpness and quality of the video while compressing it by surprisingly large amounts.

I just wish I had a source (MPEG2) skating .mpg video to work with...(Anyone here happen to have anything? )...Standard definition video always tends to turn into "internet video" once compressed but HD video can remain vivid and sharp at bitrates of 4-6 Mbps (even 3Mbps isn't too bad but at that rate you definitely start to see visible artifacts in the image. It's still a nice, vibrant picture though.) And this is while keeping the 720p dimensions intact (1280x720).

I'm surprised that more people are not using Divx to post vids in HD. I think it's amazing. And you don't even need a dual-core processor unit to play DivX HD video (unlike many other formats such as H.264). Slower computers should be able to play DivX HD assuming they have enough Video RAM.
    Last edited by R.D.; 09-08-2006 at 10:05 PM.

Down With It
    Can I have your feedback on this video? (same video I've been describing). This video was encoded with the XviD codec (often used to post HQ/HD video on the net) but at a lower bitrate- 1024Kbps. This is not widescreen- it's regular NTSC format This might be a candidate to encode certain parts of the Grand Prix events.

The video was also deinterlaced (to prevent those annoying scan lines during motion) but sharpened as the de-interlace filter tended to make the video look "soft" (blurry).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CGS3KXDN

For that size of file it was amazing quality, I had pixel issues and play "hung up a bit," but that might just be what I have and had running.

I must say I am extremely fond of that outfit of Sarah's (acutely a "drool" emotiocon would be better) even more then the yellow dress - which is a harder color to look good in and my favorite color. I would like to see her wear her hair the same as in the yellow dress though. Anyhoo

I understand why you are doing this, great qual in a small package I must ask though, if it is for your own personal achieving, then why the tests? Why not use whatever looks good to you - if it is just for you? IDK, JAT.

Down With It
    The tests are to see which codec offers the best quality in the smallest filesize (see my above post where I explain basically the meaning of this thread).

Could you expand on the "pixel issues" and "hung up a bit"? I think at lower bitrates (I notice it especially below 1500Kbps) Xvid tends to "break up" the picture into the parts that are moving and the parts that are stationary. I think this causes that "shifting" artifact phenomenon that I think is present in the video I posted above. Windows Media does the same thing I notice as well.

I tested Xvid at several different bitrates. Step all the way up to 3800Kbps and you get very close to the original, but NO codec that I've found can reproduce the quality and clarity of the original DV video, that is, at any reasonable bitrate (I'm looking at < 4 Mbps). De-interlaced Xvid seems to come the closest, closely followed by H.264 (however H264 introduces the least amount of artifacts into the picture of all tested codecs). Then DivX video comes in. I find DivX better suited for HD video (it doesn't do so well with standard-definition (DV) video).

For the low end (sharing) I find MPEG-4 AVC (Apple H.264) to be the best by far, followed by regular MP4. I personally can't stand WMV, though, because of its aspect ratio and its lack of color depth. Unfortunately for me it continues to be a very popular format (Micro$oft anyone??)
    Last edited by R.D.; 09-11-2006 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    The tests are to see which codec offers the best quality in the smallest filesize (see my above post where I explain basically the meaning of this thread).
    I was wondering because the end user is intended to be you, right? So what ever is best for you and your results. I was wondering why you would need feedback. Just thought you could do the "testing" on your computer because that is where the file reside, and what ever you like best (size / quality) would be what you would want to keep. I guess a little feedback never hurt though eh? But if it was "just for me" I would see what looked best and forget about anyone else
    Could you expand on the "pixel issues" and "hung up a bit"? I think at lower bitrates (I notice it especially below 1500Kbps) Xvid tends to "break up" the picture into the parts that are moving and the parts that are stationary. I think this causes that "shifting" artifact phenomenon that I think is present in the video I posted above. Windows Media does the same thing I notice as well.
    You explained it perfectly.

Down With It
    I only posted that one video because if I do share videos that's the type of format I'll use. As for the ones I plan to keep only to myself (the high-bitrate files), you bet I'm the only one who's gonna see those so I don't post those here.

As for the ones I plan to keep only to myself (the high-bitrate files), you bet I'm the only one who's gonna see those so I don't post those here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3