Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Results

Yay for Canada's Kevin Reynolds!! That's quite a respectable score. Looks like Mroz must have had a rough night.

Rinkside

Custom Title
    Caroline Zhang won the SP with a whopping score of 58.93.

Just to put that into perspective, here's what the two recent JGP superstars scored in THEIR first JGP event (at the same age as Caroline):

Mao Asada (JGP USA 2004): 50.14
    Yu-Na Kim (JGP HUN 2004): 47.23

Last season, her second in the JGP, Kim scored 58.63 in the season opener.
    Last edited by euterpe; 09-14-2006 at 10:33 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Caroline Zhang won the SP with a whopping score of 58.93.

Just to put that into perspective, here's what the two recent JGP superstars scored in THEIR first JGP event (at the same age as Caroline):

Mao Asada (JGP USA 2004): 50.14
    Yu-Na Kim (JGP HUN 2004): 47.23

Last season, her second in the JGP, Kim scored 58.63 in the season opener.
    Unfortuntely, Flatt had to withdraw due to the back injury, and it must have been something that happened in the last few days because her last event at the Cup of Colorado, two weeks or so ago, she scored a 59.63 with 3Ltz/3toe combo in the SP with two level 4 elements and two level 3 elements. (and a 104.23 in the LP with 3ltz/3toe as well and all level 3 and 4 elements as well) So, still not easy to compare scores across events. But, Flatt certainly would have been in the running at Mexico. We can only hope that she heals quickly, and that USFSA finds it in their hearts to give her a chance at one more JGP this season....maybe two???? She has had a great season to date, winning all her senior lady events....Broadmoor and Liberty....so let's hope she heals quickly.

Good luck to Piper and Tim, Emily and Evan, Dice, Brandon and Caroline.

Custom Title
    USFS article on the event with a really nice picture of C. Zhang's layout in the Biellman position...

http://www.usfsa.org/event_story.asp?id=35474

Good heavens, what a position. I wonder if she can rotate that back up to a Biellmann?

"The 4'9” Zhang, who turned 13 on May 20, gave one of those thrilling showings that force spectators to their feet shouting with glee and clapping so hard their hands redden. It was an occasion to remember!"

So, will we get to see it on TV? Maybe on a fluff piece for U.S. nationals?

Dice has a quad?!!!!!!!!

"Daisuke Murakami was over the moon to be second since the 15-year-old is skating in pain. He recently “got” his quad Salchow.

“'I was so pleased, I kept doing it (over 30 times with his coach not around) and injured my foot,' he said. “I was off the ice for two weeks and it still hurts.'"

OK, next time just do 20 and call it a day.

Custom Title
    From the pictures on the USFS website (Rachael with the team in Mexico), it seems Rachael went to Mexico with the team and hurt her back while practicing there. Now I understand why the USFS didn't send a replacement.

That 'over-the-top' layback picture. Is she doing it as a spiral or spin? that tops Shizuka's ina bauer, imo.

Joe

The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar
    She was doing that as a spin, Joe! OMG! That is one incredible position for a layback....is this a new combination of elements....doing the layback in a beilman position? Can it be named after her...i.e. The Zhang Layback? lolol

Hey visaliakid - I wish we could watch the LP. Hopefully someone puts it on youtube. If she remains injury free, she will be a very talked about skater when she hits seniors.

Does she have another junior JPG to do? What happens to rachel now that she withdrew. does she have another junior J:PG?

When do they meet up again, if at all?

Joe

Custom Title
    Rachael and Caroline were both tentatively scheduled for the 7th event, in Taipei, based on finishing 4th or better in their first event. I don't know if Rachael will get to keep the event, but I certainly hope she can if she is healthy enough to go.

Custom Title
    Men's final: Brandon Mroz wins the FS with 110 points and zooms from 11th to 2nd. Kevin Reynolds wins gold, Brandon silver, and "Dice" Murakami takes the bronze.

Good for Reynolds for holding on to the gold.

Amazing for Mroz who jumped 11 places to find silver.

Joe

Custom Title
    It's incredible that Spain won a medal in the ladies competition! She has problems with various elements but it is a good achievening for a non skating country as Spain is.

And the United States is certainly the leading nation in figure skating! They have plenty of very good athlets.
    Last edited by gio; 09-16-2006 at 06:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast