Thread: The Kimmie Article

Hybrid View

The Kimmie Article

on GS's Home Page.

She does workout both on and OFF the ice. It's not just old ballet. It's weights and aerobics. And full time High School.

With this program is she headed for Gold? at Campbells? at Skate America?
    at TEB? and US Nats?

What about Sasha? Mao? Ya Nu? Rochette?

Expectations are high for this teenager. Maybe too high.

Joe

Down With It
    Are you referring to the article that takes you to the US Olympic team page? I've seen that one before (and posted it), it was in the Baltimore Sun earlier.

Sometimes you kind of cruise along and then strike it big. Kimmie strikes me as one of those who wants to win more badly than anyone but either can't or won't show it. I think the next couple of seasons will be the real test for her. Of course expectations are high- she's proven herself at Worlds and set the bar high for herself and everyone else. People are going to expect her to do really well since she has now shown that she can "do it".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    on GS's Home Page.

With this program is she headed for Gold? at Campbells? at Skate America?
    at TEB? and US Nats?

What about Sasha? Mao? Ya Nu? Rochette?

Joe
    Off the top of my head I don't remember who Kimmie will be competing against at any of those competitions. I'd say she has the potential to medal at any and/or all of them. Sasha, if she does show up at Nationals I think she will flop like always. She's wasting her time with acting and then thinks she can waltz into Nats and win it? I don't think so. I think Kimmie has the heart, the mentality, the drive, the determination, and the ability to win. I'm sure she knows that she won on technical merit at Worlds, and because the pre-determined favorites didn't bring their best, and that she will need to improve on the presentation aspect of her skating. I think she can do it. She also has the pressure of going in as world champ, who knows how she'll respond to that? She doesn't seem the type to be overly affected by it but time will tell for sure. Mao, who knows. She looks to have grown since last year and I don't know how that will affect her. Also, there is a lot of pressure on her I'm sure, it will be interesting to see how she handles it. I could see her medaling at worlds, and gold is certainly possible. Yu Na, I can't comment on because I haven't seen enough of her to know. I think she, too is under a lot of pressure. I think we could be possibly looking at a disasterous year if all these young ones come in laden down with pressure, we could see meltdown after meltdown. Or we could see each one step up to the task and show us their very best. I'm very interested to see how it all plays out.

Down With It
    Last year the young ones were the ones to step up to the plate. They were all in a no-pressure situation.

This year the young ones are the best remaining in a veteran-empty field. Suddenly for many of these folks it becomes a high-pressure situation. I don't think we'll see the same carefree attitude from many of them, Mao included.

As for Cohen I don't remember her saying she would show up at nats at all. I'd be surprised if she did. But as always I think she'll underestimate her competition (like she did at Worlds) and find herself clinging to the podium behind a surprise finisher or so.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    As for Cohen I don't remember her saying she would show up at nats at all. I'd be surprised if she did. But as always I think she'll underestimate her competition (like she did at Worlds) and find herself clinging to the podium behind a surprise finisher or so.
    USFS website has an article up stating that Cohen has registered for Nationals. She has not come right out and said that she will definitely be there, but she is keeping the possibility open. I'm not leaning one way or another in terms of whether of not I think she'll show up, but Campbell's might give us a better idea. If she skates poorly there she may decide to take the rest of the year off. If she skates brilliantly (not likely, but who knows?), perhaps that will motivate her to get back to serious training for Nationals. If she does show up to Nats, I think she'll come in with the attitude that it will be a cake walk, assume that she has no real competition, and wind up disappointed yet again.

Down With It
    ok, so I guess she's at least considering going to nats. But from the way she sounded this spring I don't think she's gonna go. I don't think she has the resources nor the energy to be really well prepared for 2007 nats, so she COULD go but I wouldn't expect much of her in that regard.

It's a new era now and I think she'll get left behind.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dancindiva03 View Post
    USFS website has an article up stating that Cohen has registered for Nationals. She has not come right out and said that she will definitely be there, but she is keeping the possibility open. I'm not leaning one way or another in terms of whether of not I think she'll show up, but Campbell's might give us a better idea. If she skates poorly there she may decide to take the rest of the year off. If she skates brilliantly (not likely, but who knows?), perhaps that will motivate her to get back to serious training for Nationals. If she does show up to Nats, I think she'll come in with the attitude that it will be a cake walk, assume that she has no real competition, and wind up disappointed yet again.
    This assessment of what would make Sasha go to Nats may be right. But she would hardly look on it as a "cake walk" after getting creamed by Kimmie at Worlds (after publicly declaring that the field was less than challenging). She knows she doesn't have a triple axel and rarely does 3/3's. She knows she loses competitions in the LP. I think she knows exactly what she's up against and will make decisions and train accordingly.

Down With It
    who is "she", Meissner or Cohen?

Custom Title
    I doubt Sasha would think going to Nationals would be "cake walk" after the way Worlds went for her. I imagine that she will see how the Cheesefest goes, how her competitors do in the GPS and what off-ice opportunities come her way. Nicks said he spoke to her last week and was the opinion a year off may be good physically, but history shows it's not easy to make a comeback. That, to me, shows Sasha is leaning towards a year off but unsure if she should do it. I think if she was taking the route Michelle did, limited competitions, she would just skip the GPS.

I also think Sasha's body probably won't hold up under more streneous training-mainly training for 7 triples, 3/3's, and she is taking that into consideration as the new batch of kids come roaring up. So, exploring other options while she's still in the afterglow of her OSM, and at the top of her sport may be a wise choice. She will always have skating to fall back on, eligible or pro, so why not see what's out there?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    This assessment of what would make Sasha go to Nats may be right. But she would hardly look on it as a "cake walk" after getting creamed by Kimmie at Worlds (after publicly declaring that the field was less than challenging). She knows she doesn't have a triple axel and rarely does 3/3's. She knows she loses competitions in the LP. I think she knows exactly what she's up against and will make decisions and train accordingly.
    Kimmie doesn't have a 3 axel either, and her 3-3s aren't always fully rotated. Kimmie is a tough competitor but I wouldn't characterize her Worlds win as "creaming" Sasha. Sasha beat herself. Had Sasha skated clean (or even the performance she skated at the Olympics), she would have won worlds.