Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Kimmie Article

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    Occasionally I get a 'buzz' about a young skater, the feeling that they're going to be around for a while and make a substantial mark. I had it with Kwan in 94 and Slute a few years later. Not every young skater I've gotten that feeling about has made it but OTOH I can't think of any skater who has made that long-term impact that I haven't had that feeling about by the second competition I've seen them in.
    During the last 4 years, I got that 'buzz' from Ann-Patrice McDonough, Yukina Ota, Carolina Kostner and Miki Ando. Only 2 out of the 4 made it to Turino, 1 is injured and struggling to make a comeback and 1 has sadly left competitive skating. Kimmie is quite extraordinary in capturing the big win on her first Worlds, but I'm not going to predict any rosy colored future for her yet. Just like consistency is something you can't obtain from hours of practice, so is artistry. Miki Ando should know.

I don't see the point of comparing National titles between Meissner and Cohen without mentioning the number of tries.

We don't read much about Sasha's practices these days. She has become tight lipped about her skating, but that doesn't mean she is not practicing. If she is going to Campbells and there is no reason to think she is not, she will want to be at her best. I don't see new programs and we will be watching R&J again unless they limit the time and she uses Dark Eyes. I believe she will be competitive. Her WOW moves will override her jumping faults

Meissner is obviously working hard and will go to Campbells to win! Apparently she will use the competition to try out her new routines. I think Laurie Nichols will be giving her a flair for that Spanish number and emphasizing presentation.
    We'll be seeing all this in about 30 days.

As for winning, one can not overlook Mao and Mai.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    This assessment of what would make Sasha go to Nats may be right. But she would hardly look on it as a "cake walk" after getting creamed by Kimmie at Worlds (after publicly declaring that the field was less than challenging). She knows she doesn't have a triple axel and rarely does 3/3's. She knows she loses competitions in the LP. I think she knows exactly what she's up against and will make decisions and train accordingly.
    Kimmie doesn't have a 3 axel either, and her 3-3s aren't always fully rotated. Kimmie is a tough competitor but I wouldn't characterize her Worlds win as "creaming" Sasha. Sasha beat herself. Had Sasha skated clean (or even the performance she skated at the Olympics), she would have won worlds.

Custom Title
    Sources are saying Kimmie IS training the 3axle again, landing it pretty consistently by itself and struggling with consistency in her LP. I'd rather see her improve in other aspects of her skating than working hard on the 3axle. She does have good jump technique and if she can rotate those 3/3's, she has an advantage there.

Sasha has always been tight-lipped about her training sessions, never really shares inside info on practices in her journal or press conferences, so we will see how she prepared she shows up for Campbells. Is she touring in Japan? WIth all the extra things she's been doing lately, and it sounds like she is not with Nicks (regularly anyway)...I just don't see how she can be doing working on anything but her exhibition if that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by inloveagain View Post
    During the last 4 years, I got that 'buzz' from Ann-Patrice McDonough, Yukina Ota, Carolina Kostner and Miki Ando.
    I didn't get it from any of those, I haven't even seen the first two. I almost got it from the first competition I saw Kostner in, but it was gone by the second. As I said, it's often fallible (I got a major buzz from Jenny Kirk, but she never really happened internationally...)

One thing is that there are a lot more things that can go wrong for a young skater than can go right. The big jumps and combos don't appear out of nowhere and neither do presentation skills. They take a lot of training and still might not gel.
    Meanwhile, growth spurts, injuries, problems with the mental game and a bunch of other things _can_ seem to come out of nowhere and derail a promising career. And it's not just your classic misfortunes either, I got the same buzz from Hughes the Elder too, but her suprise olympic gold seemed to destroy her motivation for further skating achievement - her first great success was her last.

Let's just say that if Meissner does have a long career with some big wins I won't be surprised at all, pleased, but not surprised.

Custom Title
    I have to agree with Mafke. Kimmie has the ability to watch the successful skaters, glean from them what makes a great performance, and identify all the areas in her own skating that she needs to work on. In the early season last year we saw her struggle with her spiral, spins and step sequences, and get dinged for underrotating her 3/3s. But what a transformation from October to March! She finished in the top 6 at Torino without the 3/3s, then won Worlds with all the improvements in place.

Kimmie's objectivity about her own skating and her common-sense personality will take her where she wants to go.

So much of figure skating came naturally to Sasha. Kimmie had to work at it. That is the difference in the work ethic.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan View Post
    Sources are saying Kimmie IS training the 3axle again, landing it pretty consistently by itself and struggling with consistency in her LP. I'd rather see her improve in other aspects of her skating than working hard on the 3axle. She does have good jump technique and if she can rotate those 3/3's, she has an advantage there.
    Hmm, I'm not so sure if this is where she needs the most work on. I certainly admire her for her guts and willingness to do the hard stuff, but it can also take away from the "in-betweens" (the presentation and other things that can still put her over others should her jumps be off). I can't help but think that Kimmie will have a less-than-impressive season this time around. At least for the 06/07 season I think she'll have some problems, but maybe she'll bounce back in the 08 season.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    So much of figure skating came naturally to Sasha. Kimmie had to work at it. That is the difference in the work ethic.
    Hmm, another possible point. In other words, Kimmie is hard-working and strives to do well while Cohen falls back on her natural abilities to carry her through comps?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    I can't help but think that Kimmie will have a less-than-impressive season this time around. At least for the 06/07 season I think she'll have some problems, but maybe she'll bounce back in the 08 season.
    Whew, talk about pure speculation with no supporting facts. You are telling us what is going to happen in 2008?

For me, I'll stick to prognosticating about Christian Anshutz.

Down With It
    The word "maybe" is a code word for "speculate".

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    Lots can happen to prevent her from continuing at the Calgary level but I definitely got that Kwan/Slute vibe from her. She likes competing for its own sake and will do what it takes to progress and do well over the long term (in other words: her goal isn't to win a big competition or two and retire).
    Sure, lots can happen. I think her Calgary win will make her hungrier for more titles. Sometimes they work out, sometimes there's only one Big Win on the resume (Sarah Hughes wanted a National and Worlds title, but after a not so great 2002-03 season, she opted out.)

I don't think she's going to up her jump content (because... why?) and I don't like her toe-axelish toe loops but I think her presentation skills will improve a lot (over time).
    What do you mean? Supposedly the girl is back to working on her 3axle-it remains to be seen if she includes it in her LP's (I personally do not think she needs it.) But she has been including a 3lz/3toe in her SP and LP and 3flip/3toe in her LP. Not many top skaters can say they have that. Of current eligibles-Mao, Emily, Yu Na, Sasha, Elena, Fumie to name a few, don't do 2 3/3's let alone those difficult two combos. So, aside from working on a quad or a 3axle combo, what more can she do to up her jump content? I'd rather see her grow/mature in other aspects of her skating-presentation and connecting with the audience BUT under COP, that isn't enough to replace 3axles, 3/3's, level 4 spins and spirals...etc...because we are seeing PCS reflect TES, when a skater delivers a strong, technical program.

Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan View Post
    So, aside from working on a quad or a 3axle combo, what more can she do to up her jump content?
    That was my point, there's not a lot of room for her jump content to (realistically) increase so that's not going to be where her improvement will be (if there is improvement). About as much as could reasonably be expected is to have both the 3ax and two 3-3's in the LP. But that's a longshot I'd say. And I'm very skeptical about seeing any 3ax combos or quads from her (I hope not, I _hate_ quads mostly because they're ugly and wish they'd disappear from mens competitions).

Her presentation still has a long way to go (and she's given every indication she's aware of that and will continue working on it) as well as tweaking her spins and spirals for COP. Will she make it? Too early to say but I'd give her at least even odds for major presentation improvement against the much longer odds for markedly upping her jumping content.

Custom Title
    OK! We are on the same page in that aspect. I read your post wrong!

I think Kimmie needs some romance or just carefree clild like asperations in her life to feel the music in a different way. I think she just uses the music / mood now rather than understanding and becoming in "tune" with the tune. IMO

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast