Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Who will have a "break-through" year?

Who will have a "break-through" year?

Or should I say who do you hope or think will have a break-through year? I really hope that these skaters "break through" this season:

Alissa C. She has already made a splash at the GP, but will she really breakthrough and place at nationals???

Scott Smith: Will this be his year?

Katy Taylor: She's still young, but she may make the podium at nationals this year. I wonder how she will do in the GP?

Joannie Rochette: Of course she's the Canadian champion, but will she medal at worlds?

Johnny Wier: I hope he medal's at worlds this year!

Elene G. Will she breakthrough on the world scene? Or in the GP's.

Who do you think will have a breakthrough year???

I am not sure if it's "think" or "hope".

I hope Savchenko & Szolkowy get over their coaching issues and do well not only at the GP circuit, but at Worlds as well.

I hope Mukhortove & Trankov will have a break-through season with Moskvina.

Down With It
    Asking this question is almost like asking "So who will be Olympic Champion in 2010?"

JMO...it's so hard to pick one. So many factors in play, and I agree that this question just boils down to "Which skater do you hope will do really well next season?"

And to answer that question I'd say any of the Americans, i.e. Czisny or Meissner. The former will be extremely busy and the latter will have to deal with being chased rather than chasing.

Master Procrastinator
    Well, I hope Miki Ando has a breakthrough year. I just felt so badly for her last year and think she could be very successful.

I think we may see Kimmie breakthough with her artistry.
    Last edited by Lucy25; 08-23-2006 at 09:52 PM.

Custom Title
    Hmm...I'm really looking forward to see how Yu Na, Kimmie and Mao fare now that they are hyped a bit to be the Next Big Things.

As far as which skaters I'd like to see have a "breakthrough seasons", hopefully Bebe, Yukari and Katy build on their fabulous 4CC showing, Alissa can find some good jump technique and consistency (as I've said a zillion times, I LOVE her spins and spirals!) and I'm hoping Elene has been working on her stamina or whatever it was the kept her from skating strong LP's.

Is the new season here yet???

Matthews/Zavosin and Davis/White join Belbin/Agosto to form the new American dynasty in ice dance.

Rachael Flatt and Caroline Zhang make everyone forget all about Michelle and Sasha.

Internationally, it's Elene Gedevanishvili!

I agree with so many of these posts about the Ladies I'd like to see Kevin vd Perren really make the break through this year. He almost did last year.

As for the Ladies, I would really like to see Sasha do both SP & LP at her best.

Joe

Custom Title
    Assuming a "breakthrough" is confined to the senior scene, my hopes are:

Elene Gedevanishvili to medal at Euros.
    Nobunari Oda to medal at Worlds.
    Mukhortova/Trankov to grow out of that "Former Jr. Champions" title and become serious contenders.
    Virtue & Moir to make a strong outing at Skate Canada.

Others I will be interested watching are Yu-Na Kim, Patrick Chan, Savchenko & Szolkowy and Pratt & Gilles.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I agree with so many of these posts about the Ladies I'd like to see Kevin vd Perren really make the break through this year. He almost did last year.

As for the Ladies, I would really like to see Sasha do both SP & LP at her best.

Joe
    I'd like for her to, the trouble with Sasha IMO is that if she wants to stay eligible to 2010, and she has a break-through season next year, she may burn out for good in short order just on the been-there done-that philosophy, which is fine I'm sure with a lot of people, maybe even her!

I'm going with Elena G.

Champion Skater (Vicariously)
    I hope Naomi Nari Nam and Themistocles Leftheris can make the podium at nationals. I would like Kimmie to come back as a artist and shock everyone the way michelle did in her salome season. I would like Katy Taylor to perform well at the GP, Alissa too.

Shoe Diva
    Miki (so glad she's no longer with Heis)
    Katy (pink hummer aside, I like her skating
    Emily (ta-da!!)
    The Kerrs... ( I like them, I really like them)

Everyone else is there already, had their shot, played their hand or a has-been that never was...

Custom Title
    Kimmie already had her breakthrough, now she has to sustain it.
    Katy Taylor is on the brink, and I hope she takes that big step up.
    I am hoping for Weir to confound his critics by winning his 4th US Championship, and then medaling at Worlds for the first time.
    I am also rooting for Evan and Johnny to cross the quad barrier and land those quads in every performance from now on.
    I'd like to see Davis/White beat Virtue/Moir for the first time in at least one segment of the Ice Dance competition at Skate Canada. They came close a couple of times last season (when D/W were just returning from Charlie's injury).

Down With It
    the trouble with Sasha IMO is that if she wants to stay eligible to 2010, and she has a break-through season next year, she may burn out for good in short order just on the been-there done-that philosophy, which is fine I'm sure with a lot of people, maybe even her!
    I agree and as for the "break-through season" next year, I think that already happened...in 2003. Didn't she dominate the GP series that year? If that's not a break-through season I don't know what is. As far as I'm concerned- and this may sound harsh to many posters- she's finished...yesterday's news...the past. Next!

With the coaching change, I really think Melissa and Denis are going to soar to new heights... it's not just a hope, I'm really confident that this is the right move for them!

They're going to rock it out this season

Assuming that Stiegler and Magorovsky are still together, I hope they have grown more and make the Nationals podium.

Ditto on Kimmie's artistry and Alissa C's finding jump consistency (it's the one technical element that's keepin her off the podium. I think if she gets this, she'll have all the confidence she needs to battle the nerves.)

I hope we don't have to hear about Katy Taylor's desire for a pink hummer all season - by this time, I would hope she would realize it costs too much for gas.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast