Miki Ando | Golden Skate

Miki Ando

krenseby

Final Flight
Does anyone know what happened to Miki Ando the last season? It seems she was so on top of things, with so many difficult jumps. What made her sink to the bottom in terms of GP standings? With all that in mind, do you think she has any hope of getting into shape for next season? Thoughts of perfection aside, if she does even somewhat decently, she could get a World bronze or a GP Final bronze.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I seem to recall that Miki had a series of injuries, starting right after CoR, where she skated very well.

She didn't finish at the bottom of the GP standings, though. On the strength of her silver medal at CoR, she beat out Joannie Rochette on points scored to make the GPF, where she was 4th, ahead of Sokolova and Czisny.

After the GPF, everything went downhill. She was 6th at Nationals, beaten by Nakano and Onda. Her Olympics were a nightmare: 8th in the SP and 16th in the FS, she finished 15th overall. Nakano replaced Miki at Worlds.

It's hard to say how she will do this year. There were reports she had landed her 4S once in practice recently, but that does not necessarily equate to success on performance ice. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Skye

On the Ice
Coaching change, quite noticeable fill-out, homesickness from moving out to a foreign country, trying (too hard) to alter her style - all resulting in a lack of confidence. From what I've seen of her lately - she's been on a diet and looks gorgeous, has gone back to her original coach, is working with Morozov who should 'suit' her style better - I think she'll be coming back strong. But then, I've always thought that she has the potential to be a complete package.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
Coaching change, quite noticeable fill-out, homesickness from moving out to a foreign country, trying (too hard) to alter her style - all resulting in a lack of confidence. From what I've seen of her lately - she's been on a diet and looks gorgeous, has gone back to her original coach, is working with Morozov who should 'suit' her style better - I think she'll be coming back strong. But then, I've always thought that she has the potential to be a complete package.

I agree and thanks for the update on Ando. It seems like she is going in the right direction. Hopefully she will put last season behind her and start fresh.

Bill508

Rinkside
Miki successfully completed a "Quad" in practice around August 1st. She should be a force to be reckoned with this season. Hope Miki does well.

People on FSU who saw her in Dreams on Ice (?) recently in Japan (not the COI tour, but something a few months back) said that she was the surprise of the evening (or something like that) - she was skating beautifully and was back in the race. The skates are on Youtube.

I love her skating but am not quite sure what it is that impresses me - there's just something about her. I'm eager to see her this season.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I said before that once she gets herself together she could be right back in it, one of the top contenders once again. She's one skater I won't count out this season

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
People on FSU who saw her in Dreams on Ice (?) recently in Japan (not the COI tour, but something a few months back) said that she was the surprise of the evening (or something like that) - she was skating beautifully and was back in the race. The skates are on Youtube.

I love her skating but am not quite sure what it is that impresses me - there's just something about her. I'm eager to see her this season.

I couldn't agree more... Miki has great potential and I can't wait to see what she does this season... (as long as she leaves the Charlott alone...)