An amazing future star - Caroline Zhang !! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

An amazing future star - Caroline Zhang !!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I watched the clip on youtube, and Caroline is really impressive! She moves like a feather on the ice and her skating looks elegant. WOW, only 13 years old... I wonder how she will fare in coming years after the body has changed, but really hope that she will conquer that.

WOW, what a lead for her after the sp!!!

Here are some impressions about ´Caroline´s sp:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/SkateFans/message/ 174429

but not jump details.

Last edited:

Nigel

On the Ice
I watched the clip on youtube, and Caroline is really impressive! She moves like a feather on the ice and her skating looks elegant. WOW, only 13 years old... I wonder how she will fare in coming years after the body has changed, but really hope that she will conquer that.

WOW, what a lead for her after the sp!!!

Here are some impressions about ´Caroline´s sp:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/SkateFans/message/ 174429

but not jump details.

Jumps content should be what Caroline did at Golden West....3Lz-2T, 3F and 2A.
Too bad Flatt wasn't able to skate..From her Cup of Colorado event 2-3 weeks ago, she upped the ante for technical levels.....she has 3Lz-3T as her combo as well as the 3F and 2A in her SP, with all level 3's and 4's on her elements. Would have made for great skating.

Will we be spending the next 10 years discussing who is better: Caroline or Rachel? I think the Dawning of the Age of Aquarius has begun. That's in January also.

Joe

Nigel

On the Ice
Will we be spending the next 10 years discussing who is better: Caroline or Rachel? I think the Dawning of the Age of Aquarius has begun. That's in January also.

Joe

But...isn't that what USFS wants...a couple of new faces with the power and artistry to go with it and at a new level for ladies skating? Something to drive spectators to go and watch skating? My goodness, we don't need more judging scandals or events like Nancy and Tonya....we need sport for the sake of sport...competitors at the top of their game, driving the sport to new levels.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
But...isn't that what USFS wants...a couple of new faces with the power and artistry to go with it and at a new level for ladies skating? Something to drive spectators to go and watch skating? My goodness, we don't need more judging scandals or events like Nancy and Tonya....we need sport for the sake of sport...competitors at the top of their game, driving the sport to new levels.

If this is true, why did popular interest in skating skyrocket after Nancy/Tonya, and as soon as it got down to "competitors at the top of their game" (Kwan/
Lipinski; Kwan/Slutskaya), public interest declined and then nosedived?

Yes, I agree. They seem to be throwing Sasha out with the dishwater.

If I were Sasha that would make me all the more determined to come back for 2007 Nationals and "put things in perspective."

"Flexible THIS, little girl!"

(Like Michelle did all those times when everyone said she was a has-been. She came to Nationals with the attitude, "I'm Michelle Kwan, you're not. Any questions?" :laugh: )

I agree--that was in very poor taste.

Journalists will have their opinions, but the USFSA should have edited out any negative reference to another US competitor.

I hope MM is right but something tells me these things get to Sasha more than they did Michelle. She has a mental fragility that MK doesn't seem to (and she gets beat up on more). But eventually the fragile get tough.

All that said - congratulations to Miss Caroline Zhang! I hope she has a great free skate and I can't wait to see more of her.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I don't get what was "negative" in regards to Sasha. So they used her as a point with which to compare Caroline's flexibility.

Frankly, I still think the kid is being overhyped too much. The pressure could crush her before she even gets to seniors. If a growth spurt doesn't get to her first. Really, she is very flexible and she's a lovely skater, but I don't think she's worth all this attention YET. She has lots of potential, but how many skaters have we seen that were just amazing as novice/junior level skaters, but then flopped as seniors? I do enjoy her skating, but I'm not going to get too excited until she has a year or two at the senior level under her belt.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I also believe that she is getting too much hype. While she has given some unbelievable performances, think Ms. Zhang should still be having fun, instead of having people create expectations that no human could possibly live up to.

Skye

On the Ice
Actually, there wasn't anything in that article that could be called an insult on Cohen. Anybody who's seen Caroline seems to notice her likeness to Sasha's style, so you mention it. But this was an official press release, and I don't think it was a wise move for the USFSA to bring up their reigning champion in comparison in order to hype a little girl who's barely a teenager. And they were doing the same thing with Kimmie and Michelle at the Spring Marshall's. ARGGH.

Eeyora

Final Flight
It's just the USFSA's way of hyping a skater. I never liked it. How many years did we hear skaters compared to Tara and Michelle.

soogar

Record Breaker
I don't think Sasha is that flexible, just more flexible than the average skater but nowhere near a rhythmic gymnast. Caroline is a nice skater and all but that kind of flexibility is very common in young skaters. I see little kids at the rink all the time pulling themselves easily into biellmans and doing crazy laybacks and I don't think they are top level skaters. I just think flexibility comes easily for children. Whether she will keep that flexibility when she gets older remains to be seen. Even Sasha isn't as flexible as she was when she was younger.

I don't think Sasha is that flexible, just more flexible than the average skater but nowhere near a rhythmic gymnast.
When people speak about Sasha's flexibility, yes, I think they mean in comparison to other figure skaters, not in comparison to rhythmic gymnasts and professional contortionists in the circus.

soogar

Record Breaker
When people speak about Sasha's flexibility, yes, I think they mean in comparison to other figure skaters, not in comparison to rhythmic gymnasts and professional contortionists in the circus.

With the way people are so awed by Sasha, you would think she was a contortionist. Shizuka is the most flexible skater in skating (at least for the ladies). I actually think Shawn Sawyer is probably the most flexible skater competing today.

floskate

On the Ice
Well she has some interesting years ahead of her that's for sure. However it would just be nice to actually see a LP of hers to fully appreciate her abilities. When oh WHEN is this girl going to be televised????? Lets just hope and pray she gets to the JGPF which normally gets some coverage somewhere. And after that who knows what could happen for her?

Hype or no hype I think she's totally fabulous!!! :rock: