An amazing future star - Caroline Zhang !! | Golden Skate

An amazing future star - Caroline Zhang !!

warrior

Match Penalty
Wow, just watched this clip on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMK0fVZrmL4

I am speechless. I heard her name but never had the chance to see her video. Just imagine this, More flexible than Sasha Cohen!! I don't think any other ladies can do the kind of spins she did in the video.

Read on ISU discussion board she's going to JGP Mexico the upcoming weekend. She just scored her personal best of 113.82 in FS at the Golden West competition. Wow, 113.82 as a 12(or 13?) year old Junior???

Wow, this may be Caroline Zhang's breakout year, stay tune!

She already has a lot of fans on this board! Joesitz brought her to our attention a while back.

ITA with you. She's an exquisite young skater.

Her big skate is this weekend is in JPG Mexico City. However, I just read that Rachel Flatt, her biggest competition has withdrawn with a back injury. Anyway look of the Mexico City results and the judges scores and details. I can't see her losing now without Rachel.

Joe

However, I just read that Rachel Flatt, her biggest competition has withdrawn with a back injury.
Oh, no. I just hate that.

It seems like most sports contests these days are decided by who's healthy and who's injured.

euterpe

Medalist
There were lots of withdrawals from the Mexican JGP, mostly Russians and Ukrainians, reportedly due to visa problems. As a result, there are only 14 men, 15 ladies and just 5 ice dance teams.

Two ladies withdrew with injury: Rachael Flatt (USA) and Erika Tisluck (CAN).

sk8addict

On the Ice
Fell in love with her in St. Louis last year. Thought she should have been much higher than 8th. Watch out Kimmie. Here comes an artistic & musical skater!!!

Last edited:

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I am a fan of this amazing young skater. If she stays healthy, keeps her stuff through the coming growth spurt period, this young lady has the potential to be a U.S. Champion in a few years. Definately worth keeping our eyes on! Go Caroline!!!

:thumbsup:

MKFSfan

Medalist
It's kind of interesting that she's a Kwan fan while her skating obviously emulates Sasha.

Well, I'm sure many young skaters look up to BOTH Michelle and Sasha. Michelle has been the face of US skating for so long and Sasha has been around a while, too. Both have had lots of successes. This young lady is obviously very flexible and has GREAT spinning ability, so it's only natural we will see "Sasha" in her as she's choosing positions in her spirals and spins and MITF that show case her flexibility, much as Sasha does.

O/T, but Kimmie just recently was quoted in Blades for saying Michelle is someone she's idolized for so long. She always mentions Michelle when given the chance, and part of me wonders if she's hoping to win over the hearts of many MK fans/the media...I know, that is mean of me to say...I don't really see any other skater in Kimmie yet, but if she really does idolize Michelle, I hope she follows in her footsteps and has some of the longetivity and success Michelle has had.

O/T, but Kimmie just recently was quoted in Blades for saying Michelle is someone she's idolized for so long. She always mentions Michelle when given the chance, and part of me wonders if she's hoping to win over the hearts of many MK fans/the media...I know, that is mean of me to say...I don't really see any other skater in Kimmie yet, but if she really does idolize Michelle, I hope she follows in her footsteps and has some of the longetivity and success Michelle has had.
I think it's pretty natural for a skater Kimmie's age to admire Michelle. When Kimmie was growing up in intermediates and novices, Michelle was whipping off one championship performance after another. I don't think we need to read any ulterior motive into it, nor does it mean that Kimmie wants to mimic Michelle's style.

IIRC when Jenny Kirk first came on the scene she listed Michelle as her favorite skater. Then when she moved into senior competition, all of a sudden she realized, hey, I have to compete against her. So she switched her "favorite" to Kristi.

I guess Kimmie figures it's OK to idolize Michelle now -- at least until Michelle comes back in 2008! ;)

MKFSfan

Medalist
Yeah, MM, that's pretty much my thinking. I'm ashamed to admit the former thought DID cross my mind, like the girl was being PR savy. I'm sure it's hard to separate your idols from your competitor, and Jenny was wise to switch her admiration to Kristi. IIRC, NNN had that problem when she became a Sr. She was very star struck by being on the same ice as Michelle and had to be told she belongs there, right along with Michelle. Sarah admitted to having to take down her Michelle posters and start viewing Michelle as a comptitor. Even Pam said she had to prep Kimmie for being on National ice with Michelle by playing sound bites of audience reactions to Michelle.

Not sure where I'm going with this post, but it made me think about it!

waxel

Final Flight
Terrific program. Loved all the elegant spins ... she even took the dreaded Beillmann and made it interesting by lowering the extended leg into a catch-foot shoulder-level position. Lovely!

She's only 13, but does she skate as a senior?

I missed her in St. Louis ... took the wrong time to go get a drink, but people were raving when I returned to my seat.

brinababy87

Rinkside
Update from her JGP in Mexico...

Junior Ladies SP
http://www.isufs.org/results/jgpmex2006/SEG003.HTM
1 Caroline ZHANG USA 58.93 1
2 Yea-Ji SHIN KOR 41.53 2
3 Haruka INOUE JPN 40.12 3
4 Loretta HAMUI MEX 38.41 4
5 Soo-Hyun KIM KOR 35.70 5
6 Mutsumi TAKAYAMA JPN 35.33 6
7 Sonia LAFUENTE ESP 34.86 7
8 Camille FOUCHER FRA 30.00 8
9 Devon NEULS CAN 27.95 9
10 Colleen BURKHEAD TPE 27.50 10
11 Victoria MUNIZ PUR 27.36 11
12 Corene BRUHNS MEX 27.33 12
13 Astrid MANGI AUT 26.70 13
14 Mattia SEGOVIA MEX 25.40 14
WD Alisa KIREEVA UKR

:clap:

Not surprised. Without Rachel is was a done deal.

Now, how does one get into the details so I can see what triples she did, if any?

Joe