Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: An amazing future star - Caroline Zhang !!

Custom Title
    Terrific program. Loved all the elegant spins ... she even took the dreaded Beillmann and made it interesting by lowering the extended leg into a catch-foot shoulder-level position. Lovely!

She's only 13, but does she skate as a senior?

I missed her in St. Louis ... took the wrong time to go get a drink, but people were raving when I returned to my seat.

I only have two words for Caroline Zhang "Oh My" !!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by waxel View Post
    She's only 13, but does she skate as a senior?
    No, but her rival, Rachel Flatt, I believe intends to skate Seniors.

I missed her in St. Louis ... took the wrong time to go get a drink, but people were raving when I returned to my seat.
    Next time, bring the drink to the Jr. Girls.

Joe

Medalist
    Update from her JGP in Mexico...

Junior Ladies SP
    http://www.isufs.org/results/jgpmex2006/SEG003.HTM
    1 Caroline ZHANG USA 58.93 1
    2 Yea-Ji SHIN KOR 41.53 2
    3 Haruka INOUE JPN 40.12 3
    4 Loretta HAMUI MEX 38.41 4
    5 Soo-Hyun KIM KOR 35.70 5
    6 Mutsumi TAKAYAMA JPN 35.33 6
    7 Sonia LAFUENTE ESP 34.86 7
    8 Camille FOUCHER FRA 30.00 8
    9 Devon NEULS CAN 27.95 9
    10 Colleen BURKHEAD TPE 27.50 10
    11 Victoria MUNIZ PUR 27.36 11
    12 Corene BRUHNS MEX 27.33 12
    13 Astrid MANGI AUT 26.70 13
    14 Mattia SEGOVIA MEX 25.40 14
    WD Alisa KIREEVA UKR

Not surprised. Without Rachel is was a done deal.

Now, how does one get into the details so I can see what triples she did, if any?

Joe

Go NJ Devils
    The details aren't up yet, but when they are, they'll be on the following page, next to the "Detailed Classification" link.

http://www.isufs.org/results/jgpmex2006/

Zhang scored higher than Kevin Reynolds, the highest ranked of the Jr. Men, and his PCS weren't factored by .8.

Custom Title
    I watched the clip on youtube, and Caroline is really impressive! She moves like a feather on the ice and her skating looks elegant. WOW, only 13 years old... I wonder how she will fare in coming years after the body has changed, but really hope that she will conquer that.

WOW, what a lead for her after the sp!!!

Here are some impressions about ´Caroline´s sp:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...<br /> 174429

but not jump details.
    Last edited by Jaana; 09-15-2006 at 05:01 AM.

The best place to check out results of events is -- of course -- the Golden Skate events folder! Here's an eye witness account of both the men's and ladies' short programs from skating fan "Quita37," reported by Silvia.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14049

And here is the discussion thread for the results.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14199
    Last edited by Mathman; 09-15-2006 at 06:10 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I watched the clip on youtube, and Caroline is really impressive! She moves like a feather on the ice and her skating looks elegant. WOW, only 13 years old... I wonder how she will fare in coming years after the body has changed, but really hope that she will conquer that.

WOW, what a lead for her after the sp!!!

Here are some impressions about ´Caroline´s sp:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...<br /> 174429

but not jump details.
    Jumps content should be what Caroline did at Golden West....3Lz-2T, 3F and 2A.
    Too bad Flatt wasn't able to skate..From her Cup of Colorado event 2-3 weeks ago, she upped the ante for technical levels.....she has 3Lz-3T as her combo as well as the 3F and 2A in her SP, with all level 3's and 4's on her elements. Would have made for great skating.

Will we be spending the next 10 years discussing who is better: Caroline or Rachel? I think the Dawning of the Age of Aquarius has begun. That's in January also.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Will we be spending the next 10 years discussing who is better: Caroline or Rachel? I think the Dawning of the Age of Aquarius has begun. That's in January also.

Joe
    But...isn't that what USFS wants...a couple of new faces with the power and artistry to go with it and at a new level for ladies skating? Something to drive spectators to go and watch skating? My goodness, we don't need more judging scandals or events like Nancy and Tonya....we need sport for the sake of sport...competitors at the top of their game, driving the sport to new levels.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    But...isn't that what USFS wants...a couple of new faces with the power and artistry to go with it and at a new level for ladies skating? Something to drive spectators to go and watch skating? My goodness, we don't need more judging scandals or events like Nancy and Tonya....we need sport for the sake of sport...competitors at the top of their game, driving the sport to new levels.
    If this is true, why did popular interest in skating skyrocket after Nancy/Tonya, and as soon as it got down to "competitors at the top of their game" (Kwan/
    Lipinski; Kwan/Slutskaya), public interest declined and then nosedived?

Custom Title
    Anyone see this article:
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=35474

Now, I'm sure the USFSA is very exciting about this young girl who is making quite a splash already, but was in neccessary to compare her to Sasha to build her up? OK, so they both have extreme flexibility and wonderful spins. Leave the comparisions at that.

Yes, I agree. They seem to be throwing Sasha out with the dishwater.

If I were Sasha that would make me all the more determined to come back for 2007 Nationals and "put things in perspective."

"Flexible THIS, little girl!"

(Like Michelle did all those times when everyone said she was a has-been. She came to Nationals with the attitude, "I'm Michelle Kwan, you're not. Any questions?" )

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I agree--that was in very poor taste.

Journalists will have their opinions, but the USFSA should have edited out any negative reference to another US competitor.

I hope MM is right but something tells me these things get to Sasha more than they did Michelle. She has a mental fragility that MK doesn't seem to (and she gets beat up on more). But eventually the fragile get tough.

All that said - congratulations to Miss Caroline Zhang! I hope she has a great free skate and I can't wait to see more of her.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast