Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 62

Thread: An amazing future star - Caroline Zhang !!

  1. #46
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by nymkfan51 View Post
    Here's the link to that practice video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmTEBhfE8AA

    I do think she is quite amazing, but I agree that it probably would not be in her best interest to have the hype go so overboard. There are enough pressures on these young skaters already ... let's just wait and see what happens.

    So how does Caroline compare to some of the other US Jr Ladies, particularly some of the stronger skaters that were at Liberty or Detroit? What do we expect to see in January? Ashlely Wagner also has all her jumps, is a very athletic skater with great speed and high jumps and very musical in her programs. Caroline is more lyrical perhaps. What other Jr ladies are out there and what are they going to bring to the ice in January? SHould be quite the event to watch with very different styles of skating!

  2. #47
    MY TVC 1 5 SeaniBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Watching the Wheels
    Posts
    4,984
    What is the spin that starts out as a Bielmann and she brings her leg and skate in to the side of her face called? I have seen a few doing this - Mao for one - and I wondered if that is still even called a Bielmann. It doesn't appear to be the same position to me, so I would imagine it would have a different name.


    OADN, I would love to see them take down the glass for the skaters!!!! Dare to dream.

  3. #48
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    So how does Caroline compare to some of the other US Jr Ladies, particularly some of the stronger skaters that were at Liberty or Detroit? What do we expect to see in January? Ashlely Wagner also has all her jumps, is a very athletic skater with great speed and high jumps and very musical in her programs.
    As far as I know, Ashley Wagner may be the only other junior lady besides Caroline Zhang to have scored over 100 points (102.50) in a Junior FS at a club competition so far this season -- Wagner landed 7 triples to win the Liberty Final in mid-July. Mirai Nagasu (from southern California) scored over 90 points in both her Junior qualifying and final FS to place 2nd behind Zhang at the Golden West club competition earlier this month. Wagner and Zhang are the only two juniors from 2006 Nationals who are staying junior this season.

  4. #49
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu View Post
    What is the spin that starts out as a Bielmann and she brings her leg and skate in to the side of her face called? I have seen a few doing this - Mao for one - and I wondered if that is still even called a Bielmann. It doesn't appear to be the same position to me, so I would imagine it would have a different name.
    I would venture a guess that it is a variation of a catchfoot. AP had an amazing one, and I remember it being called something like a "sideways variation of a layback." I think many fans associate anything that a skater does when grabbing their skate and yanking it above their heads a beillmann. But a beillmann is one position, a variation of a layback, meaning, I don't think there are variation of beillmanns...??? But I don't know! I think the following link is a chinese spiral and not a beillmann position, yet many fans called it a beillmann spiral:

    http://nyquil.org/uploads/sasha_cohen.jpg

  5. #50
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,671
    A new person to tug at your heart strings.

    Dee

  6. #51
    Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    A new person to tug at your heart strings.

    Dee
    Yes! She's so tiny, young, and perfect - you can't help having a little anxiety mixed with the admiration.

  7. #52
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    52
    So... dumb question, but in what season will Caroline be able to compete in a senior competition?

  8. #53
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    821
    WoW This girl is simply stunning!

  9. #54
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    A new person to tug at your heart strings.

    Dee
    So true. With Michelle and Sasha (temporarly) out of the scene, fans have been admiring Kimmie's strong competitive spirit and solid technics, but a lot have found it difficult to "warm up" to her performances - and here comes the perfect little blessing.

  10. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    I got issues
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by inloveagain View Post
    So true. With Michelle and Sasha (temporarly) out of the scene, fans have been admiring Kimmie's strong competitive spirit and solid technics, but a lot have found it difficult to "warm up" to her performances - and here comes the perfect little blessing.
    I'd rather watch and cheer for Kimmie.

  11. #56
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,550
    Quote Originally Posted by riverflows View Post
    So... dumb question, but in what season will Caroline be able to compete in a senior competition?
    Caroline will be eligible to compete in Senior ISU Championships (4CC and Worlds) in the 2008-2009 season. Next season, when she is 14, she could also do "B" Senior internationals and the senior Grand Prix.

  12. #57
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,977
    Quote Originally Posted by brinababy87 View Post
    Well, it looked a lot worse for Mao, the beanpole jumping underrotated triple axels a few years ago. She seems to have handled growing well, so I guess we'll see how Caroline will do..
    You mean Mao improved? She was still underrotating jumps in her GP events. Also she's not done growing yet.

  13. #58
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar View Post
    You mean Mao improved? She was still underrotating jumps in her GP events. Also she's not done growing yet.
    Did you see her program at the Japan Open? She looked much taller there and her triple axel and her other jumps looked easier than ever for her.

  14. #59
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,089
    ^^^I agree-I thought Mao's jumps looked stronger, as if when she got taller she also got more strength to rotate her jumps better, especially the 3axle. Maybe that was just a matter of dealing with her growth spurt and her jumps are the same, I don't know, but I was really impressed with how she skated at Japan Open.

  15. #60
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Whittier, NC
    Posts
    337
    My sense is that Caroline will be one of the elite ladies coming up into Senior competition over the next few years, but that she will not be the only one. Sounds to me like American skating fans have a lot to look forward to in ladies skating.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •