Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Middle Atlantics

Middle Atlantics

For Newyorkers and vicinity who may be interested:

[url]http://www.thescny.org/[/url]

Joe

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I'm planning to go on Sat. night for novice and senior ladies. I'm excited!

Custom Title
    Senior Men registered to compete are: Geoffry Varner (2006 U.S. Nationals junior men's/Junior GP Final bronze medalist and scheduled for NHK Trophy in Japan) and David Weintraub (previously competed as a junior & novice at Nationals).

Senior Ladies: The two main contendors appear to be Christine Zukowski (6th in her senior debut at 2006 Nationals and also the current World Junior bronze medalist; she's being monitored here and is scheduled to debut on the Sr. GP in France and Japan) and Ashley Wagner (gold medal in the Courchevel JGP last month; not sure if she has tested up to senior or is just trying the waters here). Others who have had good results so far this season include: Taylor Firth, Chloe Katz, Jamie Kim, Jessica Martino. Past Nationals competitors are Suzanne McDonald (2004 as a senior) and Krissa Miller (2003 as a senior).

Junior Ladies include: Jane Ruan, Kaela Pflumm (also a JGP pair skater), Tamar Katz (competes internationally for ISR);
    Junior Men: Adam Rippon, Daniel Raad, Jeremy Anderson (3 past Nationals competitors in junior and/or novice);
    Novice Men: Zachary DeWulf (2006 Novice Nationals competitor), Alexander Aiken (2006 Intermediate silver medalist);
    Novice Ladies: Kristine Musademba (2006 U.S. Intermediate champ) and Ksenia Makarova ('06 North Atlantic Regional Intermediate champ).

I think Daria Grinkov is scheduled for Intermediate Ladies.

Custom Title
    There are other children of famous/successful skaters scheduled to compete at Mid-Atlantics as well.
    Novice Ladies:
    Ksenia Makarova ('06 North Atlantic Regional Intermediate champ).
    FYI, Makarova is the daughter of Oleg Makarov & Larissa Selezneva, the 1984 Olympic bronze medalists in pairs from the Soviet Union -- see: [url]http://www.pairsonice.net/profileview.php?pid=61[/url]

Also competing:
    Artour Dmitriev, Jr. (Intermediate Men) and Victoria Petrenko (Preliminary Ladies), daughter of Viktor and Nina Petrenko (Nina choreographed Julia Sebestyen's 2006-07 programs, among others).

Just heard that Emily Hughes is reportedly a last-minute entry in Senior Ladies.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Just heard that Emily Hughes is reportedly a last-minute entry in Senior Ladies.
    I thought she didn't need to compete in regional events as a national medalist?

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Maybe she's just getting herself in gear for the season.

Anyway, lucky me! I'm even more excited!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    I thought she didn't need to compete in regional events as a national medalist?
    Mid-Atlantics is not a qualifying competition.

Down With It
    oh, ok. what is it then? Just some random "fluff" regional event or something?
    Last edited by R.D.; 09-15-2006 at 07:31 PM.

Rinkside
    it's not a fluff event. it's the last big competition befoe regionals, just like california has golden west, we have middle atlantics

Custom Title
    Club competitions are important to skaters in the Juvenile, Intermediate, Novice, Junior and Senior levels who preparing to compete in the Regional Championships in October (to qualify for Nationals at these 5 levels) and/or skaters like Emily Hughes, who is preparing for international competitions this fall. There have been periodic discussions here at GS about the results and highlights from various major U.S. club competitions, such as Broadmoor Open in June, Liberty and Skate Detroit in July, and Golden West in Sept.

Mid-Atlantics is primarily for North Atlantic regional skaters (New York is in the North Atlantic region), but there are quite a few skaters from the New England, South Atlantic and even Eastern Great Lakes (includes Ohio) regions -- for example, Carol Heiss Jenkins coaches in Ohio and has a few skaters competing in NYC this weekend.

ETA: I saw Johnny Weir land his first triple axel in competition at the Mid-Atlantics comp. in Sept. 2000 (he was very happy and excited! ), several months before his "surprise" 6th place senior men's debut at 2001 Nationals in Boston and his World Junior gold medal.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-15-2006 at 11:59 AM.

Just an average girl
    It's called a non-qualifying competition. They exist all over this country. The Boston Open is this weekend also. They used to be more important, because skaters had fewer opportunities to compete. But these events are still interesting.

Custom Title
    Just heard that Emily Hughes may have withdrawn from Mid-Atlantics on Friday. Withdrawals are quite common at club competitions, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Just heard that Emily Hughes may have withdrawn from Mid-Atlantics on Friday. Withdrawals are quite common at club competitions, BTW.
    Emily actually competed in Mid As just before her Nats debut. It's a good place to have your practice when you don't get invited to the Cheesefests.

Joe

Down With It
    Does one consider events like Campbell's, etc. to be major events? When I say major I'm referring to all National championships, Worlds, and Olys.

I've heard people refer to events like Campbell's, etc. as "fluff" events. IMO, "cheesefest" is a much more demeaning term than "fluff" (BTW I didn't intend it to be a putdown, it was just a way of saying "non-major") and it's used a heck of a lot more often by figure skating fans.
    Last edited by R.D.; 09-15-2006 at 08:28 PM. Reason: correct typo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast