Rochette skates to Jimi Hendrix for her new SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rochette skates to Jimi Hendrix for her new SP

R.D.

Record Breaker
so if I got it right many Cohen fans on this board are temporarily jumping ship to Rochette. Am I right?

Interesting because I never thought of their styles as similar.

I wouldn't say that about myself. Rochette is one of quite a few "senior ladies" - btw, when are they going to change this ridiculous terminology? - whom I am enjoying - including Asada, Gedevanishvili, Kim, etc.

My heart still belongs to Sasha, but it's fun to watch all the other talented "ladies" out there.

You're right about their styles being different though. If Joannie were not elegant (as well as athletic), I probably wouldn't be as impressed... but she is!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wonder if many Kwanfans feel the same way now that MK is moving on.

Maybe it's easier to transition from liking a skater to liking skating than the other way around.

Dunno, re either MK fans or the last thought. Liking skaters and liking skating are not an either/or to me.

OT: I was one of those Olympic skating fans who fell for Sasha in 02 and, surprisingly for me, remembered her for the next 4 years. I guess because she was so young and obviously had a future. (Yagudin affected me similarly, but I guess the suspense was lacking, since he got his gold.)

Then I got interested in all the rest of it...well, all the singles anyway - not so much pairs or dance. I still prefer Sasha, but not to the point that I can't see that others are wonderful too.

I think what kept me from being a skating fan for so long was all the hoopla around Kwan. She was so dominant, but didn't impress me all THAT much, so I tuned out.

Back to Rochette: she has a certain classy quality that I like. Maybe that is the common denominator with Sasha.

(But this season, with my new open mind, I also find it's fun to watch the scrappy little Mira Leung, now that there are finally vids of her on Youtube.)

Last edited:
I think the true dyed-in-the-wool Kwaniacs are those who hooked onto Michelle’s career before she became dominant, then cheered her as she achieved distinction.

(In contrast, the Johnnies-come-lately who only started appreciating her in the second half of her career, they are mere dyed-in-the-skein fans. :p )

Why do we like her? It’s hard to put into words. There’s just something about her. When Michelle strikes her opening pose, it’s like all the cares of the world drop off your shoulders and you are transported to a new and better world, a world where troubles melt like lemon drops...♫♪ (oh no, wait, that’s Judy Garland).

Maybe it can only be expressed in song after all.

We like her ‘cause she’s --- I don’t know – because she’s just…our…’Chelle.♫♪

No, wait (with apologies to Spirit):

I met her on a Monday and my heart stood still!
Da do Kwan, Kwan, Kwan, da do Kwan, Kwan. ♫♪
Somebody told me that her name’s Michelle!

♫♪Yeah…my heart stood still!
Yeah…her name’s Michelle!
Yeah…when I watch her glide,

Is it possible to be a fan of figure skating without Michelle? I guess I’ll find out. :)

antmanb

Record Breaker
I think the true dyed-in-the-wool Kwaniacs are those who hooked onto Michelle’s career before she became dominant, then cheered her as she achieved distinction.

(In contrast, the Johnnies-come-lately who only started appreciating her in the second half of her career, they are mere dyed-in-the-skein fans. :p )

Why do we like her? It’s hard to put into words. There’s just something about her. When Michelle strikes her opening pose, it’s like all the cares of the world drop off your shoulders and you are transported to a new and better world, a world where troubles melt like lemon drops...♫♪ (oh no, wait, that’s Judy Garland).

Maybe it can only be expressed in song after all.

We like her ‘cause she’s --- I don’t know – because she’s just…our…’Chelle.♫♪

No, wait (with apologies to Spirit):

I met her on a Monday and my heart stood still!
Somebody told me that her name’s Michelle!

♫♪Yeah…my heart stood still!
Yeah…her name’s Michelle!
Yeah…when I watch her glide,

Is it possible to be a fan of figure skating without Michelle? I guess I’ll find out. :)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ant

anniemg

Rinkside
I liked Joannie when Sasha was around too, it's just that I wanted Sasha to do well and I didnt really care about the others. Now that she's not around, I just have to root for someone, and that someone is Joannie.

No they dont have similar styles, but Joannie is also graceful and elegant. That's what I like about her. And her great skating!