Thread: Ondrej Nepela

Custom Title

Ondrej Nepela

Today starts the 14th Ondrej Nepela Memorial in Bratislava (Slovakia).

http://nepela.kraso.sk/entries-results/index.htm

We will see if Julia Sebestyen has overcome her last season crisis. Soon we will have the results of the SPs.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gio View Post
    Today starts the 14th Ondrej Nepela Memorial in Bratislava (Slovakia).

http://nepela.kraso.sk/entries-results/index.htm

We will see if Julia Sebestyen has overcome her last season crisis. Soon we will have the results of the SPs.
    Results are already up!

Custom Title
    I noticed that the PCS scores are really low (they were low at the JGP events, too). It seems as if the ISU is telling the judges to bring the scores down to a more reasonable level.

I noticed that, too. What I really think they are trying to do is develop more consistency in the judging from one event to the next.

If so, they certainly succeeded with Julia Sebestyen's short program.

Olympics TES 26.75, PCS 23.83, Total 49.58
    O. Nepela TES 26.63, PCS 23.25, Total 49.88

Go NJ Devils
    Just to mention that Ondrej Nepala is one of my favorite all-time skaters.

Custom Title
    Julia did better when she won last year's Nepela: SP 54.12 = 28.40 TES + 25.72 PCS.

But that was the high point of her Olympic season. Her scores got lower and lower until at Worlds, she barely made the cut for the FS.

Even if she wins the 2006 edition of the Nepela, it may not be much of an indicator as to how the rest of her season would go.

Rinkside
    Julia was very good yesterday. She did a nice 3-2 combination and another 3 jump. Than she unfortunately singled her axel.
    Her music was lyrical with vocals and she had nice white-golden dress.

I liked the men better. Igor Matsipura from Slovakia who is curently first, did 3lutz-3tulup, 3 axel with hand down and another clean 3 jump.

Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Julia did better when she won last year's Nepela: SP 54.12 = 28.40 TES + 25.72 PCS.
    To me, it's different judges different GOEs. However, the base scores should be comparable, so if her base scores are less than last years, I think Julia should pep it up,

I think also that she has to be admired for giving it another go after results last year.

Joe

The more I look at these CoP numbers the more it looks to me like the key, as ever, is simply landing the jumps that you have planned. Everything else takes care of itself. This seems especially true in the short program, where everyone does prettty much the same elements.

In her Olympics SP Julia fell on her combination jump. That left 5.3 points on the table right there, and all by itself accounts for the difference between her low score of 49.58 and her fine score of 54.12 in the 2005 Nepela.

Custom Title
    Poor Julia, in the FS she did just a 3toe,2toe and a 2axel. What is happening to her? Once she was a very good jumper. Look at her FS at 1999 Europeans in Prague. And her spins are just level 1 or 2.

Custom Title
    Congratulations to Megan Stewart-Williams for winning her first international competition, and to Jordan Wilson for his first international medal. And of course to Gregor Urbas, who came from behind to win the Men's title, and to Igor Matsipura (from Herndon VA) who won the bronze medal for the home country (SVK).

Go NJ Devils
    Congrats to the medallists.

(((((((((((((((Julia))))))))))))))))

I was just watching a video of her superb SP from Salt Lake City. She seems to have lost her timing and confidence over the past two years :(