The Amazing Race 10 | Golden Skate

The Amazing Race 10

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
OK, folks. The 10th edition of The Amazing Race began tonight. The Philiminator said that there would be surprises and the first was a doozy. But before that, the teams started in Seattle and headed for Beijing, China. Upon their arrival, they had clues to go to a restaurant where they had their first Road Block. The lucky person had to eat fish eyes. Upon finishing, the next clue instructed them to go to the Forbidden City.

SPOILER----------

The last team to arrive at the Forbidden City was eliminated from the race - even though it wasn't a pit stop :eek: . The other teams were shocked. The team that was eliminated were best friends who are Muslim. It's too bad they were the philiminated team - I would have liked to see how far they could have gone.

Interesting teams this time. There is a couple where the woman has a prosthetic leg. There is a coalminer and his wife.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

R.D.

Record Breaker
never heard the term "philiminated" before...that's a new (?) one...

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
^^^^It comes from the fact that the host's name is Phil and he's the one who tells you whether or not you are still in the game when you finally get to the pit stop. Someone a while ago combined the name Phil with the word elimination and voila, philimination! I rather enjoy the word myself but I'm a way obsessed TAR fan, LOL :laugh:

I was surprised at the early philimination too. I only caught part of the ep so far (I taped it and got home in the middle of it so I need to watch the very beginning) but I think I like most of the teams right now. I'm sure that will change but so far, so good. I can't wait to see next week's show! :yes:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know about you but the woman with the prosthetic leg was having such a hard time and I was struggling right along with her. I think her partner was excellent in promting her. He never let up on her and never gave in to her..........I can't.

I also loved the older couple when the wife was trying to climb and he yelling......Honey you can do it...........and she yells.......Shut Up!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
I also loved the older couple when the wife was trying to climb and he yelling......Honey you can do it...........and she yells.......Shut Up!!! :laugh: :laugh:
Dee - I think you're talking about the coal miner and his wife. Unfortunately (and not to sound mean), they are NOT an older couple - they are 30 and 31!!!!! :eek: But they do look older then their actual age....

The couple I can't stand is the young-ish couple that keeps arguing - Rob and I can't remember her name.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

lisadotdash

Rinkside
Race Thoughts

I like the Afro-american friends and I knew that they would play that childbirth, children thing. I think they're spurned along by the yuppy jet-setters and I'm rooting for them. I liked the comment about "she can run marathons but can't stand in line." about the girl with the prosthetic leg. I kind of agree. I don't think she should board the planes early.

It's too soon but since I live near Kentucky, I am really pulling also for the Kentucky/Tennessee couple keeping up, as well.

Jhar55

Medalist
I am pulling for the 2 guys who went through rehab.
Like the racers I was stunned to see the 2 elemited before a pit stop.
But Phil did say watch out for twist and surpries.
I noticed that they only choice of 2 airlines do you think that's how it will be althrough the race.
Can't wait till next Sunday too bad it wasn't on more than once a week.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
they are NOT an older couple - they are 30 and 31!!!!! :eek: But they do look older then their actual age....
Herm (sk8ngnutt)
Herm, thanks for that correction. I apologize, all I saw was her with the helmet on and just assumed, my mistake.

I thought the climbing was entertaining especially the one guy calling the other guy honey, it just made me laugh. (Hopefully, I didn't get this one wrong. :laugh: :laugh: )

Dee

heyang

Record Breaker
I don't see how getting on the plane earlier is an advantage. It's not the same as letting them off 1st. All seating is preassigned; so, it's not as though they can just pick a seat at the front of the plane. They always board people who may need assistance because they may need the 'space' to settle in. It's a pain in the butt to board with everyone else as everyone is pushing stuff into the overheads and shifting around. Most people who require assistance get off the plane last.

I was disappointed that the Muslim team was eliminated so early - although it was a great twist and will really force the teams to work hard to every single point in the game - not just the pit stop. It would have been interesting to see what would happen when they stopped and prayed in the middle of a task.

LOL - the fish eyes would have been easy for me. I don't know if it's a family thing or a Chinese thing, but I recall eating the fish eyes as a kid. Haven't done it quite sometime though. The racers did it all wrong though - made it more difficult for themselves. They should have eaten each eye with some broth. One team took all the eyes out onto a plate 1st - ugh! they're staring at you, then. For me, it would've been one of the easier eating challenges. Compared to the 4lbs of Argentinean Beef, Gallon of Hungarian spicy soup, pound of caviar in Russia, stir fried bugs (AR1), the live baby octupi in Vietnam - this one was pretty lightweight. The only thing easier was the glass of wine from foot stomped grapes and shot of vodka!

heyang

Record Breaker
I thought the climbing was entertaining especially the one guy calling the other guy honey, it just made me laugh. (Hopefully, I didn't get this one wrong. :laugh: :laugh: )

If you're talking about Tom & Terry, you're not wrong. I was really disappointed that Terry's name isn't Jerry. That's why I remember their names already!

heyang

Record Breaker
I noticed that they only choice of 2 airlines do you think that's how it will be althrough the race.

You can catch reruns of past Amazing Races on Game Show Network.

They've had legs in the past where there's only a choice of 2 or 3 flights. It really depends on where you're going and the time of year. Since the flight to China is pretty long, there aren't numerous daily flights, which is why there were 2 predetermined flights. When there's lots of options, they have the teams search for the best flights.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
re. 9/24 episode:

First of all, between the male models and one of the couples, I have NEVER heard the word "dude" used so often in one hour of broadcast television in my life.

Secondly, is that some sort of "Amazing Race" record for car trouble? What kind of piece of crap jeeps WERE those, anyway? I guess we know why Mongolia has never entered the foreign car market.....

Thirdly, can someone please take Rob and Jennifer and BUNK THEIR HEADS TOGETHER???????? 2 or 3 times in quick succession should hopefully do the trick.

Jhar55

Medalist
What was funny about the cars breaking down was when the 2 black ladies saw the 2 guys and said sorry but were in a race and wouldn't stop well as they say what comes around they got theirs when their car wouldn't start and no one sould stop and help them.

heyang

Record Breaker
re. 9/24 episode:

Secondly, is that some sort of "Amazing Race" record for car trouble? What kind of piece of crap jeeps WERE those, anyway? I guess we know why Mongolia has never entered the foreign car market.....

I believe those were Russian jeeps!

The only other time I remember that many cars having problems in one race was the season with Ian and his wife Terry. They and 2 other teams put regular gas into their cars, although they were clearly marked diesel. Ian figured out to drain the gas before walking to get the right gas. One team got help from passers-by. The 3rd team got a hotel and had a nice dinner and waited for a mechanic the next am.

There's always got to be one team that fights too much with each other that the viewers can't stand.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I'm really surprised there hasn't been much comment made about the whole Hanoi Hilton thing 10/1. Personally, given how many servicemen were tortured and killed there, I found it to be in rather poor taste to turn this venue into just another stop on a round-the-world race with 18 semi-hysterical people running about the corridors like it was high school between class bells. (Admittedly, this did not occur to me at the time I was watching it; only a couple of hours later, after I really thought about it.....). After all, they wouldn't think of going to Poland and having them race through Auschwitz, would they??? (Not quite the same thing, I know, but as far as I'm concerned, the same basic principle applies). I wonder what Senator McCain thought about this, if he saw it???

On another note -- they can bungee jump, walk around alligator pits, ride unpredicable animals that can end up dragging them around the landscape, walk around the perimeters of 10-story high water towers, etc, etc, BUT THEY CAN'T GET ON A MOTORBIKE IN VIETNAM???? :laugh: :laugh:

Jhar55

Medalist
Think it was ralley to make them walk to the next task. And the 2 who did ride got 30 minute pentaly that almost cost them.
As for saftey some cab driver arent that much safer.
BTW the couple from Eastern KY / West Virgina(coalminer) are from the same area as my boyfriend and his cousin live just down the road from them. The way they are on the show is just how they really are.
I know they won't win but I think they make it futher than was expected.
No I don't have any inside info it just my thoughts how they fair in the game.

heyang

Record Breaker
The use of the Hanoi Hilton as part of the race didn't particularly upset me. A lot of people don't know much if anything about Vietnam and now they know at least this little piece. At least 2 of the teams took a moment to pay their respects.

The motorbike thing was a safety issue. No helmets. Lots of traffic that's not organized. A couple of racers almost got hit just trying to cross the street. Anyway, they were told not too. The 2 brothers knew not to accept the offer of the ride. So, Terry and Tom didn't enough attention to the instructions. There have been other teams penalized in the past for taking a taxi instead of walking, etc.

I don't know what it is about father-daughter teams, but I'm always sad to see them go.