I'll be offline | Golden Skate

I'll be offline

• Thread starter HamiltonBrowningFan
  • Start date
H

HamiltonBrowningFan

I'll be offline

my IMs will be offline after today I have to give my computer back to the home school program... I won't be getting a new one... I'll be on my parent's computer again... meaning I won't be on as much :(

my email from now on will be
[email protected]
[email protected]

I'll definately be willing to email back and forth... I'm not sure if we'll get IMs on their computer or not :) :(

R

rgirl181

Re: I'll be offline

HBF,
I'm sorry to hear you have to give up your own computer, but before you bite the bullet, check out Ebay for used computers, desk or laptops. I'm telling ya, you can get a computer that does all your basic functions for under $300 bucks. You have to follow the prices and know what you're bidding for in terms of gigabytes, modem speed, etc. but it doesn't take much investigation. Also, check www.half.com (a subsidiary of Ebay) for the prices on their used computers. It will give you a good yardstick for how much to bid on Ebay. People have computers they are practically willing to give away. Besides, you'll need one when you go to college. Good luck!
Rgirl

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

I'll talk to dad and see what he says... I never even thought about that... and I'm an EBAY FANATIC! :lol:

L

Ladskater

HamiltonBrowningFan :

Sorry to hear your news. Do you have a library near by? Our library has free computer access for 30 minutes. One can sign up and go online for free. You should check out your library. That way you can still drop in on GS more often.

Ladskater

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

it's not a matter of getting online at all... it's not being able to be on ALL DAY... where before I could stay hooked up to the net all day long even when I wasn't home... I will only have a couple hours of net time now... :(

L

Ladskater

HamiltonBrowningFan:

It's not very healthy to sit in front of a computer all day anyway! Maybe your parents are doing you a favour. Get outside and get some sunshine!

Ladskater

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

LAD I do... I'm not on ALL day... just that the computer is... so now I download stuff, chat, and surf all at once... that's a lot to do in a short ammount of time

I'm now on my parents computer and am downloading Yahoo and MSN... AOL will have to wait...

we're now looking on ebay and half.com for a laptop that is internet capable... as well as a decent printer LOL gotta have it for school!

R

rgirl181

Re: Buying on Ebay or Half.com

Good luck, HBF! If you're bidding on Ebay, remember take your time and that people tend to overbid. A couple of tricks: Watch a couple of computers like the one you'd want to see how high the bids go and how long it takes them to get to the top price. Also, when/if you do decide to bid, note the date and time the bidding closes (especially if the time zone considering you're in Alaska). Go to the site during the last two hours before bidding closes. If you really want that computer and it's not above your bid range by more than $5 or $10 bucks, often you can get your bid in during the last 10 or 15 minutes. For items like computers, I believe the bids have to be in $5 dollar increments, so if the last bid is $300, you can squeak in the top bid in the last few minutes for $305.

With half.com you may pay a little more, but you have some guarantees and protections. I've sold a lot of books and CDs there. Either way, Ebay or half.com, there are LOTS of people selling perfectly good computers and printers out there. Of course there are those who "forget to mention" that they dropped the laptop they're selling so be sure to check out the fine print on buying damaged items.

Finally, if you've never bought anything on Ebay before or have never used a credit card to purchase something, they won't take a credit card. You have to pay by certified check. Pay attention to the seller's rating. Um, that's all I can think of right now--not that I'm any Ebay expert. It's just how I got my laptop. Anyway, you said you did a lot with Ebay so I'm sure you know the ropes. Good luck!
Rgirl

S

Show 42

Re: Buying on Ebay or Half.com

Good suggestions from Lad and Rgirl.......I just know that you'll find the right computer set-up for you....a college student needs one anyway.......good luck......42