Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Evan announces short program music

Custom Title

Evan announces short program music

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/evanlysacek/

The new program set to selections of Peter Gabriel music from "The Last Temptation of Christ" movie soundtrack will debut at Skate America.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Yecch. Is Evan going to be trying to out-Jesus Johnny? This is in poor taste, IMO.

He's probably just going to skate to the music. I doubt if he will try to portray Jesus or tell some kind of story. That sound track has lots of good music that can stand alone without evoking anything religious.

Michelle used "The Feeling Begins" for her 2004 SP music. It was one of her most dramatic and moving programs, IMHO. (I don't think she was trying to be Mary Magdelene.)

So Evan will use Carmen again for the LP in the first half of the season. That was an excellent program for him (I didn't like the costume, though). I assume that means he will be working on a new LP later on.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

Michelle used "The Feeling Begins" for her 2004 SP music. It was one of her most dramatic and moving programs, IMHO. (I don't think she was trying to be Mary Magdelene.)
    It is my favourite Kwan's SP!

As for Evan, I really liked his LP to Carmen. IMO it was original even if it was on Carmen!

The music for The Last Temptation of Christ is great, and has been used for many dance pieces (as well as for skating - and I also love MK's "The Feeling Begins"). I can't wait to see this!

Custom Title
    What I find amusing is that Evan's choreographer, Kurt Browning, skated to "The Feeling Begins" himself two years ago - program choreographed by Spanish dancer Louis Oya. Though it sounds like Evan's skating to a selection of songs from "The Last Temptation of Christ", so it won't be precisely the same music. Guess he was inspired by the music.

And I really doubt he's going to be portraying Jesus in the program. There's nothing inherent in the music that makes you realize what movie it's from, IIRC - it's all instrumental, isn't it? With a Middle Eastern flavor to it?

should be interesting... especially since Kurt's choreographing... I cannot wait to see what they came up with!

Custom Title
    Kurt Browning is doing Evan's program? I'd heard Lori Nichol was planning on doing his program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Yecch. Is Evan going to be trying to out-Jesus Johnny? This is in poor taste, IMO.
    This is a plot by the USFS to regenerate public interest in skating by triggering a lot of controversy. (When the film "Last Temptation of Christ" came out, it made a lot of money from people who wanted to see what the fuss was about)!

Custom Title
    I love this music. It totally brought out an exciting and intense side of Michelle and who can forget Oksana's interpretation.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    OK, thanks for the corrections. I am not familiar with either the music or other skaters' programs to it. Guess I'm looking forward to it, then!

Custom Title
    The short program was choreographed by Kurt Browning in Toronto. Before Evan left to work with Kurt, he did not have any music selected for the program.

"the Passion" again, sounds OK.

Custom Title
    I´m not familiar with the music. With Browning´s choreography and Lysacek´s great talent in interpreting any music, I will be eagerly looking forward to first videoclips. Skate America will be the first event for him, right?

Here's the link to Michelle's mesmerizing performance at 2004 worlds. This is what figure skating can be. Every movement is perfection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzBGfPc46wM

This is the performance where she took a time deduction because her music cut was too long. It was timed right at 2:40 at U.S. Nationals but for some reason it registered 2:42 for the Dortmund performance.

BTW, it seems like she went over her music, but this is because the last few bars of the piece are so soft that you can't hear it in the arena.

What gives this music it's haunting quality is the use of the doudouk, an Armenian folk instrument resembling an oboe. The melody is a traditional Armenian folk tune called "The Wind Subsides."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast