Evan announces short program music | Golden Skate

Evan announces short program music

He's probably just going to skate to the music. I doubt if he will try to portray Jesus or tell some kind of story. That sound track has lots of good music that can stand alone without evoking anything religious.

Michelle used "The Feeling Begins" for her 2004 SP music. It was one of her most dramatic and moving programs, IMHO. (I don't think she was trying to be Mary Magdelene.)

So Evan will use Carmen again for the LP in the first half of the season. That was an excellent program for him (I didn't like the costume, though). I assume that means he will be working on a new LP later on.

gio

Medalist

Michelle used "The Feeling Begins" for her 2004 SP music. It was one of her most dramatic and moving programs, IMHO. (I don't think she was trying to be Mary Magdelene.)

It is my favourite Kwan's SP! :love:

As for Evan, I really liked his LP to Carmen. IMO it was original even if it was on Carmen!

guinevere

Final Flight
The music for The Last Temptation of Christ is great, and has been used for many dance pieces (as well as for skating - and I also love MK's "The Feeling Begins"). I can't wait to see this!

Teenes

On the Ice
What I find amusing is that Evan's choreographer, Kurt Browning, skated to "The Feeling Begins" himself two years ago - program choreographed by Spanish dancer Louis Oya. Though it sounds like Evan's skating to a selection of songs from "The Last Temptation of Christ", so it won't be precisely the same music. Guess he was inspired by the music.

And I really doubt he's going to be portraying Jesus in the program. There's nothing inherent in the music that makes you realize what movie it's from, IIRC - it's all instrumental, isn't it? With a Middle Eastern flavor to it?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
should be interesting... especially since Kurt's choreographing... I cannot wait to see what they came up with!

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Yecch. Is Evan going to be trying to out-Jesus Johnny? This is in poor taste, IMO.

This is a plot by the USFS to regenerate public interest in skating by triggering a lot of controversy. (When the film "Last Temptation of Christ" came out, it made a lot of money from people who wanted to see what the fuss was about)!

Eeyora

Final Flight
I love this music. It totally brought out an exciting and intense side of Michelle and who can forget Oksana's interpretation.

OK, thanks for the corrections. I am not familiar with either the music or other skaters' programs to it. Guess I'm looking forward to it, then!

FSOWebmaster

On the Ice
The short program was choreographed by Kurt Browning in Toronto. Before Evan left to work with Kurt, he did not have any music selected for the program.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m not familiar with the music. With Browning´s choreography and Lysacek´s great talent in interpreting any music, I will be eagerly looking forward to first videoclips. Skate America will be the first event for him, right?

Here's the link to Michelle's mesmerizing performance at 2004 worlds. This is what figure skating can be. Every movement is perfection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzBGfPc46wM

This is the performance where she took a time deduction because her music cut was too long. It was timed right at 2:40 at U.S. Nationals but for some reason it registered 2:42 for the Dortmund performance.

BTW, it seems like she went over her music, but this is because the last few bars of the piece are so soft that you can't hear it in the arena.

What gives this music it's haunting quality is the use of the doudouk, an Armenian folk instrument resembling an oboe. The melody is a traditional Armenian folk tune called "The Wind Subsides."

totsuwa

Spectator
Quote: "Yecch. Is Evan going to be trying to out-Jesus Johnny? This is in poor taste, IMO."

I agree, this is in poor taste. What a copy cat! Johnny has been announcing that he would skate to Middle Eastern music since June, I believe. He told his fans in an interview in August that he would be telling the story of Jesus. Then Evan goes to Toronto and they decide on Middle Eastern music from the movie, "The Last Temptation of Christ?"

Too much of a coincidence in my opinion!

Hey, wait a minute. There are 14 graded elements in a men's long program -- one for each of the 14 stations of the cross!

Could Johnny be planning to do the whole Passion? :rock:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Here's the link to Michelle's mesmerizing performance at 2004 worlds. This is what figure skating can be. Every movement is perfection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzBGfPc46wM

This is the performance where she took a time deduction because her music cut was too long. It was timed right at 2:40 at U.S. Nationals but for some reason it registered 2:42 for the Dortmund performance.

BTW, it seems like she went over her music, but this is because the last few bars of the piece are so soft that you can't hear it in the arena.

What gives this music it's haunting quality is the use of the doudouk, an Armenian folk instrument resembling an oboe. The melody is a traditional Armenian folk tune called "The Wind Subsides."

Wow! Thanks MM for all the info on this piece!

Ant