Evan announces short program music | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Evan announces short program music

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Hey, wait a minute. There are 14 graded elements in a men's long program -- one for each of the 14 stations of the cross!

Could Johnny be planning to do the whole Passion? :rock:

OMFG!

LMAOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That post took me everywhere. :laugh: :clap:

heyang

Record Breaker
I think when they reviewed Nationals after World's they discovered that she went over the time limit then, too.

At World's, someone made a point of checking the time and telling each judge. At Nationals, I can only guess that they leave it at the judges' discretions to check the time.

I thought the rule was the timing stopped when the skater halted - not the music. What I disliked about the timing issue is that she wasn't doing a trick that put her over - she was just gliding to her final pose. I could certainly understand deducting if she had been doing something other than her final pose. Oh, well - the rules are the rules.

Didn't Torvill and Dean have a problem with Bolero. I think the music was too long, but they couldn't figure how to cut it. That's why they sway on their knees during the 1st several bars of the music - the actual timing didn't start till they started moving on their skates. Might be urban legend, so don't take my word for it.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I have heard the same urban legend about T/D. Anyone know if it is true.

At World's, someone made a point of checking the time and telling each judge. At Nationals, I can only guess that they leave it at the judges' discretions to check the time.
I think it is the responsibitity of the referee to call a time deduction.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I have heard the same urban legend about T/D. Anyone know if it is true.

I'm pretty sure it was true and stated in the rules that timing of the program started when the blade is first skated on, so all of the swaying and lifting around in Bolero wasn't counted in the timing for the program until the blade first touched the ice and moved.

Same with (in my mind it seemed like every program) at least one of Elvis programs where he squatted down for about 20 secs or more at the start of his programs. Again the squatting and waiting was not timed.

Ant

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
The current rules (different from 1984) say that the timing starts when the skater begins to move or skate, and end when the skater comes to a complete stop.

I believe those were the same in 2004, except that the maximum time of the SP was still 2:40, raised to 2:50 that summer.

layman

On the Ice
Middle-eastern music

If I remember correctly, Jeff Buttle is also using Middle-Eastern music for his long program and who knows how many other skaters will be too (Evan, Johnny, Jeff....). This season is already shaping up into "Battle of the Semitic Music Selections."

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Didn't Torvill and Dean have a problem with Bolero. I think the music was too long, but they couldn't figure how to cut it. That's why they sway on their knees during the 1st several bars of the music - the actual timing didn't start till they started moving on their skates. Might be urban legend, so don't take my word for it.
Dean said this himself: the arranger couldn't cut any more out, and his solution was to use the "overtime" for the beginning of the program, which didn't officially start until they started to skate.

That is pretty strange. Bolero is one song that you could pretty much stop at any point and start up again at any other and no one would be able to tell the difference.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Not the greatest music to skate to. Didn't Michelle already skate to this music? Can't he find something better to use?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
That is pretty strange. Bolero is one song that you could pretty much stop at any point and start up again at any other and no one would be able to tell the difference.
The problem is that the music is in very specific, equal segments. You have to be able to cut off after a whole number of the main theme plus the ending. When you do 10 iterations of the same theme, to cut off at the musical equivalent of "half a yard" or try to interpolate an extra 10-second repeat, is so much more obvious and disruptive than when there's no music repeat, but the structure suffers (as do people who know what the music should be).

Not the greatest music to skate to. Didn't Michelle already skate to this music? Can't he find something better to use?
Well, the whole sound track has lots and lots of music. So we will have to wait and see exactly what cuts Evan has decided to use.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I have a lot of catching up to do.
It is funny this was said, I have heard Fumie is going to do her SP to Bolero. I guess I was a very influential kid because I still can not think of this song with out picturing Bo Derik running down the beach. I also hear Dicks comments about TnD being the "unforgettable" in regards to this piece. I don't think I will forget - but Sasha, MK now Fumie:love: ...I think I might just forget about TnD Uncle Dick, at least while there is "my dream test baby" skating down the ice. :love: Just when you think it couldn't get any better.....:biggrin:

Anyhoo, it is seeming like Lori is "playing old cards" OR Fumie felt this would work for her too. Any way that it is approached it is interesting for me. As the "stop at any point" in Bolero - from my impression of her SP late 05-06 music, maybe Lori felt it was easier to edit:laugh: , at least easier then the last piece? Don't know. But FS pulled that off very well, I feel like this choice is less the challenge timing wise and possible a direction to focus on the point getting elements - less emphasis on the interpretation - she definitely has that down. Might be a good direction to hit the simple music to focus on the point getting via easier music??????? JAG Hockeyfan had a good point for me on this as well.

On the original note, the "passion play" will / was be good for the both EL and JW, but I get the feeling Johnny might "feel / felt" this one a little better. I think EL would / will be good but I have a tendency to think of him more in the "rock star" category. Is this a "mold breaker" or am I forgetting something?

As the comments about when the routine starts it's Time, I am under the impression that it is when the "skater starts skating" still is true. I only read that rule at the beginning of the year, so I believe that is 100% fact.

Sorry to ramble, just felt a little with drawn while I was up in the hills and catching up with work. I love GS!

Last edited: