Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Evan announces short program music

Rinkside
    Quote: "Yecch. Is Evan going to be trying to out-Jesus Johnny? This is in poor taste, IMO."

I agree, this is in poor taste. What a copy cat! Johnny has been announcing that he would skate to Middle Eastern music since June, I believe. He told his fans in an interview in August that he would be telling the story of Jesus. Then Evan goes to Toronto and they decide on Middle Eastern music from the movie, "The Last Temptation of Christ?"

Too much of a coincidence in my opinion!

Hey, wait a minute. There are 14 graded elements in a men's long program -- one for each of the 14 stations of the cross!

Could Johnny be planning to do the whole Passion?

Rinkside
    Good one, Mathman!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Hey, wait a minute. There are 14 graded elements in a men's long program -- one for each of the 14 stations of the cross!
    MM - aha! So you are just a good Catholic boy?! I should have known...

Here's the link to Michelle's mesmerizing performance at 2004 worlds. This is what figure skating can be. Every movement is perfection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzBGfPc46wM

This is the performance where she took a time deduction because her music cut was too long. It was timed right at 2:40 at U.S. Nationals but for some reason it registered 2:42 for the Dortmund performance.

BTW, it seems like she went over her music, but this is because the last few bars of the piece are so soft that you can't hear it in the arena.

What gives this music it's haunting quality is the use of the doudouk, an Armenian folk instrument resembling an oboe. The melody is a traditional Armenian folk tune called "The Wind Subsides."

Wow! Thanks MM for all the info on this piece!

Ant

Ryan Bradley makes me leak!
    I'll wait to hear it before I coment too much. :o

Banned

Could Johnny be planning to do the whole Passion?
    OMFG!

LMAOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That post took me everywhere.

I think when they reviewed Nationals after World's they discovered that she went over the time limit then, too.

At World's, someone made a point of checking the time and telling each judge. At Nationals, I can only guess that they leave it at the judges' discretions to check the time.

I thought the rule was the timing stopped when the skater halted - not the music. What I disliked about the timing issue is that she wasn't doing a trick that put her over - she was just gliding to her final pose. I could certainly understand deducting if she had been doing something other than her final pose. Oh, well - the rules are the rules.

Didn't Torvill and Dean have a problem with Bolero. I think the music was too long, but they couldn't figure how to cut it. That's why they sway on their knees during the 1st several bars of the music - the actual timing didn't start till they started moving on their skates. Might be urban legend, so don't take my word for it.

I have heard the same urban legend about T/D. Anyone know if it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    At World's, someone made a point of checking the time and telling each judge. At Nationals, I can only guess that they leave it at the judges' discretions to check the time.
    I think it is the responsibitity of the referee to call a time deduction.

Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    I have heard the same urban legend about T/D. Anyone know if it is true.
    I'm pretty sure it was true and stated in the rules that timing of the program started when the blade is first skated on, so all of the swaying and lifting around in Bolero wasn't counted in the timing for the program until the blade first touched the ice and moved.

Same with (in my mind it seemed like every program) at least one of Elvis programs where he squatted down for about 20 secs or more at the start of his programs. Again the squatting and waiting was not timed.

Ant
    Last edited by antmanb; 09-29-2006 at 09:18 AM.

Custom Title
    The current rules (different from 1984) say that the timing starts when the skater begins to move or skate, and end when the skater comes to a complete stop.

I believe those were the same in 2004, except that the maximum time of the SP was still 2:40, raised to 2:50 that summer.

Custom Title

Middle-eastern music

If I remember correctly, Jeff Buttle is also using Middle-Eastern music for his long program and who knows how many other skaters will be too (Evan, Johnny, Jeff....). This season is already shaping up into "Battle of the Semitic Music Selections."

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post

Didn't Torvill and Dean have a problem with Bolero. I think the music was too long, but they couldn't figure how to cut it. That's why they sway on their knees during the 1st several bars of the music - the actual timing didn't start till they started moving on their skates. Might be urban legend, so don't take my word for it.
    Dean said this himself: the arranger couldn't cut any more out, and his solution was to use the "overtime" for the beginning of the program, which didn't officially start until they started to skate.

That is pretty strange. Bolero is one song that you could pretty much stop at any point and start up again at any other and no one would be able to tell the difference.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast