buying skates | Golden Skate

buying skates

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
I need some help ... I've been saying for years that I want to learn how to skate, and I'm finally doing it ... and LOVING it. My goal is to really learn edges and footwork ... maybe do some ice dancing type of things ... I may want to learn jumps at some time, but think I'm probably too old for that ... anyway, I love watching edges, and that's what I want to learn.

My question is, what is the best way to go about buying skates. I want to buy skates that are appropriate for what I'd like to do - something of good quality, that will last, but I certainly don't need anything fancy.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
tharrtell

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Got to a skate fitter. That is the single best piece of advice you will get. Do NOT go out and just buy whatever fits at the sporting-goods store, as you will only have to replace them as soon as you get to anything that's significantly more demanding than rec skating. They will also be able to recommend the best boots and blades for the level you hope to accomplish, and a more expensive but better-made skate should last longer than a rental-style cheapie.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I can only echo the advice of find a good boot fitter and take their advice.

I've just bought my second pair of skates and only now (still trying to break them in) do i realise how much better these skates are than the previsous entry level boot i bought.

Ant

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I may want to learn jumps at some time, but think I'm probably too old for that ...
your never too old. tharrtell how old are you? (now you don't have to disclose this information but......) My point is that you can never be too old (well maybe if your 100+) to try something. I'm 47 and still doing my jumps. Not as good as the youngins, but who cares. GO FOR IT!

As for the boots, make sure you go to someone that knows about figure skates. If there is a pro shop at your rink that might be the first place to start.
Let us know how you are comming along with your skating.

Have fun!!

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Thanks everyone for your advice ... I'll go to a boot fitter ... any idea the best way to find one? And, any idea on how much I should expect to pay?

As to the jumping, I'm 31 ... no, not too old, but everything is easier to learn when you are younger! I swim too, and am constantly amazed by the advantage kids have who swam on a swim team for a year when they were 6. That experience gives them an advantage even if they haven't been in the pool for years. Anyway, I can see wanting to learn the jump at some point, but first I want to get strong edges.

Thanks again.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I'll go to a boot fitter ... any idea the best way to find one?
Start with the rink that you are skating at. You are in San Francisco so I know there is someone in the area that knows figure skates. Also ask one of the skating coaches about getting skates. I think SPTeri is located in San Francisco.

As to the jumping, I'm 31
You're still young! You still have lots of skating years to learn the jumps!! Don't think that the kids have it easier, they are just less fearful then the adult skaters.