How much should your knees hurt? | Golden Skate

How much should your knees hurt?

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
I've been able to do Triple Toe loops off the ice for a few months now and in the past week I've gotten to the point where I can get the rotations on the ice as well (though it's a fall or double-foot half the time). However, my landing knee is extremely sore now. It's physically more difficult for me to walk and when bending it sharply there are definitely "pop" noises. Should I be getting this checked out more closely? Money is an issue, though....I can't afford for a hospital visit.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
How much should your knees hurt? They shouldn't!!!! Falls are part of the territory of figure skating, however if you are feeling some pain in your knees you need to see a dr. to make sure you have not injured yourself. Knee injuries in figure skating are quite common - but be careful! You don't want to end up in your old age with a permanent problem.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Should I be getting this checked out more closely?
Pain is the way the body tells you something is wrong. I would definitely get it checked out. It could be a number of things, but I wouldn't continue skating on it until you find out what is wrong.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
I had our physical trainer look at it and it's just a bit swollen, I think. I slowed down a bit and did single axles and double flips/toes today at practice.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Those pops are probably the tendons and ligaments moving (I've freaked myself out with those) which is *generally* harmless, but any pain so severe you have trouble walking is really something a doctor should look at.

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
I think most skaters have trouble with their knees from time to time - certainly, all the adults I know do! I do myself, but it passes. Walking seems to help.

Erica Lee

Rinkside
Learning triples puts all kinds of new stress on your body that it's just not used to, that's for sure. Definitely back off and take it easy for a bit, and see if your pain lessens. If it continues or gets worse, you definitely know you have a problem.

mskater93

Record Breaker
You should be careful with off ice jumping because if you try to stick the landing, you are putting a lot of unnecessary force on the knee to stop the rotation which can cause pain. Hopefully your off ice is monitored by a coach.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Hopefully your off ice is monitored by a coach.

It isn't, lol.

I'm always jumping around in my living room whenever I'm bored or waiting for dinner to finish cooking, commercials to end, a file to get done downloading, etc.

Should I find another outlet for my excess energy? :biggrin:

mskater93

Record Breaker
That could be the cause of your pain -- wrong method of off ice jumping putting stress on your knee. Have a coach show you the correct method for off ice jumps before you continue doing so, especially if you are working on triples as this will put torque on your knee.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
You really need to see a Dr. Orthopedic surgeon is what you want. Keep skating on it and it will get worse, maybe even turn into a chronic condition.
Hope you find a way to get it to healing. Take care.