Go Tania Miller of Canada | Golden Skate

Go Tania Miller of Canada

E

eltamina

Go Tania Miller of Canada

<span style="color:red;font-size:small;">First woman conductor / music director of a major symphony orchestra</span>

C B C A r t s C a n a d a - A r t s N e w s : Musician becomes first woman to lead major Canadian symphony

ArtsCanada

VICTORIA - A 33-year-old Saskatchewan woman has become the first female to lead a major Canadian orchestra.

With her appointment to the Victoria Symphony, Tania Miller also becomes the youngest music director to hold such a position.

She now joins Toronto-born Peter Oundjian of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra as one of only two Canadian-born conductors leading major orchestras in the country.

Miller's appointment is the culmination of a two-year search to replace Kees Bakels.

She will make her debut on August 3rd at Symphony Splash, where the orchestra performs on a barge in the Inner Harbour.

Miller is currently the associate conductor of the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra and will complete the remaining year of her contract.

She served three seasons at the VSO as assistant conductor and lead approximately thirty-five concerts in the past season.

Miller has appeared as guest conductor with various orchestras across Canada and the United States including Toronto, Winnipeg, Oregon, Victoria, Toledo, London, and Saskatoon.

From 1997 to 2001, she was the assistant conductor of the Carmel Bach Festival in Carmel, California.

L

Ladskater

Re: Go Tania Miller of Canada

eltamina:

Thanks for the info! That is wonderful. I have seen many concerts in Victoria in the innner harbour - it's magnificent. I would love to be there for this.

Ladskater

E

eltamina

Re: Go Tania Miller of Canada

Ladskater, I have fond memories of my Vancouver and Victoria visits. :)