Kostner out for the Season? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kostner out for the Season?

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I remember reading that Peggy Fleming went her entire competitive career without a serious injury. I think that was in her book, "The Long Program." I believe practicing the triples and starting triples so young is making injury harder to avoid. The human body just wasn't designed for figure skating. Repeatedly landing those jumps is probably as bad for the body as missing them.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Peggy Fleming didn't do triples, and the spiral sequences, spins and footwork were much simpler then. Skaters spent much of their time training figures, which required smooth, controlled body movements. Skaters learned edging and built body strength gradually.

Think of it: no triples, no quads, no leg grabbing, no need to start jumps from awkward and difficult positions.

So far this season, there have been injuries causing more than 20 changes to the original GP lineup, and there have been reports of injuries that could potentially requiire lots more substitutions (Buttle, Kostner, Dube/Davison).

Last edited:
...no need to start jumps from awkward and difficult positions.
I think that is a huge point. The CoP encourages difficulty for difficulty's sake. I do not think that this makes the sport any more "competitive" or "sportslike." In baseball, you don't get bonus points if you hit a home run while standing on your head.
So far this season, there have been injuries causing more than 20 changes to the original GP lineup,...
And these are just the preseason injuries. The GP series hasn't even started yet.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
I think that is a huge point. The CoP encourages difficulty for difficulty's sake. I do not think that this makes the sport any more "competitive" or "sportslike." In baseball, you don't get bonus points if you hit a home run while standing on your head.And these are just the preseason injuries. The GP series hasn't even started yet.

I just hope Caro's injury will be ok soon. Atleast to see her at Euros, at nice condition. She deserves to have a good season.

gio

Medalist
I'm so sorry for Caro. :cry: Hope that she can compete at least at Euro and Worlds.

I think that injuries are a major problem for almost every sport. Just how many soccer, volleyball players, skiers, hockey players are injured... Today every sport is becoming more and more demanding. And especially figure skating with all the quads, triples, spin and spiral positions. But it is also true that FS can't go back, when athlets did just doubles, standard camel spins and easy spirals.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I'm really sorry to hear this, but I can't say I'm surprised by it. While I like the concept of COP, I think the system in it's present form will do more damage to the health of the athletes than the old system ever did. Just as MM pointed out, adding all this difficulty will take it's toll ... it already has. Watching these skaters, most especially the ones who were not blessed with exceptional flexibility ... contorting themselves like pretzels or trying to stick their skates in their ears to rack up points ... well, compound that with the normal wear and tear of the jumping, and you have a disaster just waiting to happen, IMO.

I hope Carolina will be okay ... what a way to start this year off. :frown:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
considering that she is still planning to compete later in the year, it's not as if this is the end of her career, or anything so dramatic... at least she is not going the route of so many as of late where she skates with the injury and to the point where she'd never fully recover

That being said I do wish her well and a speedy recovery. It sucks majorly, but at least she's doing the right thing for her body. She should be given major props for that alone!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Takeshi Honda had an ankle injury (torn ligaments), and he never really got back in shape. The last years he competed were sad.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
considering that she is still planning to compete later in the year, it's not as if this is the end of her career, or anything so dramatic...
I am glad that you are keeping this in mind. That helps. I always hate hearing things of this nature and I can have a tendency to think the worst sometimes. I do appreciate you keeping this in mind - that she will be back - and that is very comforting.;)

Thanks for staying positive Toni!:agree:

Keep Hope Alive.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
Takeshi Honda had an ankle injury (torn ligaments), and he never really got back in shape. The last years he competed were sad.

It was very sad to watch. Honda was one of my favorites. Good luck to
Caro and hopefully she will heal quick.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
I'm so sorry for Caro. :cry: Hope that she can compete at least at Euro and Worlds.

I think that injuries are a major problem for almost every sport. Just how many soccer, volleyball players, skiers, hockey players are injured... Today every sport is becoming more and more demanding. And especially figure skating with all the quads, triples, spin and spiral positions. But it is also true that FS can't go back, when athlets did just doubles, standard camel spins and easy spirals.

gio, saznas li jos nesto, odmah mi reci! Ovak svaki dan razmisljam je li moja Caro dobro :)

gio

Medalist
Are we speaking in tongues now?

Is it a problem for you? There were just two little sentences. Come on, it isn't written anywhere that we have to use always and just English and that other languages are forbidden. What we said in Serbian it wasn't that important. Just a little thing between me and anything about Caro.

R.D.

Record Breaker
it's ok (in my view) to communicate one or two lines of foreign language to a fellow poster. However, if one keeps it up since we all can't understand it, for all we know you could be bashing us and we wouldn't know it. Not saying that you are, of course, but just the impression that it can give off sometimes.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Is it a problem for you? There were just two little sentences. Come on, it isn't written anywhere that we have to use always and just English and that other languages are forbidden. What we said in Serbian it wasn't that important. Just a little thing between me and anything about Caro.

Well excuse me it was a joke. No need to take offense. You can speak
anyway you wish. Cabish

Babelfish to the rescue! Anything4skating said:

"Gio, cognitive jos nesto, instantly me relapse! Such daily reconsider had my Caro all right."

And Gio answered: "Being!!!" :agree: