Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kostner out for the Season?

Banned
    What is so callous about RD's response? Its true, there seem to be more and more injuries in skating. I'm sad that Caro is injured and will miss the GP, but its not surprising that she is hurt, as injuries are so common now.

I agree dancindiva03. Red Dog was being realistic, not callous, IMO.

I think it was the "Oh well" that made some people react negatively to Red Dog's post.

Go NJ Devils
    Injuries are a lot more visible with all of the fall events scheduled and cancelled. Back in the days of Nationals, Europeans, Olympics, and Worlds, and no Internet, most of the beginning of the season injuries were dealt with quietly, with many skaters re-emerging for their Nationals.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan228 View Post
    Injuries are a lot more visible with all of the fall events scheduled and cancelled. Back in the days of Nationals, Europeans, Olympics, and Worlds, and no Internet, most of the beginning of the season injuries were dealt with quietly, with many skaters re-emerging for their Nationals.
    hmm, that's an interesting point that I never considered. I still wonder if there are more injuries now than 30 years ago, though.

Custom Title
    I remember reading that Peggy Fleming went her entire competitive career without a serious injury. I think that was in her book, "The Long Program." I believe practicing the triples and starting triples so young is making injury harder to avoid. The human body just wasn't designed for figure skating. Repeatedly landing those jumps is probably as bad for the body as missing them.

Custom Title
    Peggy Fleming didn't do triples, and the spiral sequences, spins and footwork were much simpler then. Skaters spent much of their time training figures, which required smooth, controlled body movements. Skaters learned edging and built body strength gradually.

Think of it: no triples, no quads, no leg grabbing, no need to start jumps from awkward and difficult positions.

So far this season, there have been injuries causing more than 20 changes to the original GP lineup, and there have been reports of injuries that could potentially requiire lots more substitutions (Buttle, Kostner, Dube/Davison).
    Last edited by chuckm; 10-01-2006 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    ...no need to start jumps from awkward and difficult positions.
    I think that is a huge point. The CoP encourages difficulty for difficulty's sake. I do not think that this makes the sport any more "competitive" or "sportslike." In baseball, you don't get bonus points if you hit a home run while standing on your head.
    So far this season, there have been injuries causing more than 20 changes to the original GP lineup,...
    And these are just the preseason injuries. The GP series hasn't even started yet.

what didn't kill me-made me stronger!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think that is a huge point. The CoP encourages difficulty for difficulty's sake. I do not think that this makes the sport any more "competitive" or "sportslike." In baseball, you don't get bonus points if you hit a home run while standing on your head.And these are just the preseason injuries. The GP series hasn't even started yet.
    I just hope Caro's injury will be ok soon. Atleast to see her at Euros, at nice condition. She deserves to have a good season.

Custom Title
    I'm so sorry for Caro. Hope that she can compete at least at Euro and Worlds.

I think that injuries are a major problem for almost every sport. Just how many soccer, volleyball players, skiers, hockey players are injured... Today every sport is becoming more and more demanding. And especially figure skating with all the quads, triples, spin and spiral positions. But it is also true that FS can't go back, when athlets did just doubles, standard camel spins and easy spirals.

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    I'm really sorry to hear this, but I can't say I'm surprised by it. While I like the concept of COP, I think the system in it's present form will do more damage to the health of the athletes than the old system ever did. Just as MM pointed out, adding all this difficulty will take it's toll ... it already has. Watching these skaters, most especially the ones who were not blessed with exceptional flexibility ... contorting themselves like pretzels or trying to stick their skates in their ears to rack up points ... well, compound that with the normal wear and tear of the jumping, and you have a disaster just waiting to happen, IMO.

I hope Carolina will be okay ... what a way to start this year off.

I don't know how to express ..... I hope recovery is swift.

considering that she is still planning to compete later in the year, it's not as if this is the end of her career, or anything so dramatic... at least she is not going the route of so many as of late where she skates with the injury and to the point where she'd never fully recover

That being said I do wish her well and a speedy recovery. It sucks majorly, but at least she's doing the right thing for her body. She should be given major props for that alone!

Custom Title
    Takeshi Honda had an ankle injury (torn ligaments), and he never really got back in shape. The last years he competed were sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    considering that she is still planning to compete later in the year, it's not as if this is the end of her career, or anything so dramatic...
    I am glad that you are keeping this in mind. That helps. I always hate hearing things of this nature and I can have a tendency to think the worst sometimes. I do appreciate you keeping this in mind - that she will be back - and that is very comforting.

Thanks for staying positive Toni!

Keep Hope Alive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast