Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Breton skaters

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if 50% of the welsh population speak welsh as a first language - having been to college in Chester (not very far from north wales) i was given the impression by a large contingent of students from Aberystwyth uni that most of the welsh students that go to Welsh universities actually take their subjects in welsh. Add to this the fact that welsh students remaining ni wales for university get a hefty chunk of their tuition fees paid for by the assembly i would have thought it is about right. My trips into Nroth wales have usually shown most of the small towns and villages to be predominantly welsh speaking as a first language and i'm told that the trend is greater in teh south of wales.

Ant
    I find this baffling, cos AFAIK South Wales is most definitely predominately English speaking, as is mid-Wales. Chester borders North Wales, which is the only area of the country you could call Welsh speaking as a first or equal language, as you say, in small towns and villages, so I would imagine experiencing that part of Wales is quite different to visiting or living in Cardiff, Newport etc.

To give other posters an idea of the area we're talking about, former British Champion skaters Steven Cousins and icedancer Marika Humphreys both come from the North Wales area.

Also Sharpie, owner of FSU comes from Newport in South Wales. I know she learnt Welsh at school, but it was not her first language.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredegunda View Post
    I wondered also about his surname - Peizerat. It seemed a strange coincidence that Pechalat and Bourzat also have the -at suffix, so I wondered if they all came from the same region (which on the basis of Gwendal's first name I incorrectly assumed was Bretagne).
    I'm not sure of their birthplaces, but Pechalat/Bourzat certainly train in Lyon, with Muriel Zazoui/Romain Hagenauer. [That's probably an Alsace name in origin].

Don't forget there was Nathalie Tauziat, the former Tennis player who made the Wimbledon Final the year France won the Football World Cup in 1998, with her cousin Didier Deschamps as Captain.

Indeed - in patagonia apparently! (i was born in Argentina !)

Ant
    Ant, I'm intrigued by your background. I thought you were English, as you often report on ice shows here, but you seem to be much more cosmopolitan. May I ask your origins?

Quote Originally Posted by La Rhumba View Post
    I find this baffling, cos AFAIK South Wales is most definitely predominately English speaking, as is mid-Wales. Chester borders North Wales, which is the only area of the country you could call Welsh speaking as a first or equal language, as you say, in small towns and villages, so I would imagine experiencing that part of Wales is quite different to visiting or living in Cardiff, Newport etc.

To give other posters an idea of the area we're talking about, former British Champion skaters Steven Cousins and icedancer Marika Humphreys both come from the North Wales area.

Also Sharpie, owner of FSU comes from Newport in South Wales. I know she learnt Welsh at school, but it was not her first language.
    Perhaps my friends (who are very pro Wales and pro the wlesh language) have given me a stilted view on the prevalence of the language throughout wales!! It would not surprise me!

Marika is a coach at my rink and you can spot the skaters who work with her for choreography - they all have beautiful programs and she works them hard to get that polished look to their programs.

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by La Rhumba View Post
    Ant, I'm intrigued by your background. I thought you were English, as you often report on ice shows here, but you seem to be much more cosmopolitan. May I ask your origins?
    I was born in Argentina to a half english/half argentinian father and an argentinian mother. We lived all over the world (mostly Europe) until they finally settled in the UK - once i was appraoching GCSE age my fathers' job took them abraod again and they've since spent an awful lot of time in the middle east (though they're now retired in Spain)!!

Potted history of me!

Ant

I was born in Argentina to a half english/half argentinian father and an argentinian mother. We lived all over the world (mostly Europe) until they finally settled in the UK - once i was appraoching GCSE age my fathers' job took them abraod again and they've since spent an awful lot of time in the middle east (though they're now retired in Spain)!!

Potted history of me!

Ant

And to confirm I live in Manchester (the UK one not the US one) and skate at Deeside rink in North Wales!

Ant

Thanks for the potted history! Very interesting, not to say exotic!

Funnily enough Steven Cousins wrote about the Welsh/English nationality issue once, on his website I think, some Canadian fans were asking him about the difference, and he quoted his brother's views, which are very Pro Welsh, but said he is relaxed about it, and supports England at Football.

Ah Marika! Please say hello to her for me [she'll recognize my user name] - my all time fave skater - and the person I was so upset couldn't take part in the 2nd UK DOI series though she said she was okay about it.

I'm upset for me, cos I love to watch her skate, and she's way too young [only 29] not to still be performing, although she's very busy with other things, and hubby Vitaliy is doing very well on Dutch DOI at the mo.

Lucky you to be able to skate at Deeside! I do agree with you about her choreography.

Thanks for the chat, I'm enjoying this thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2