Thread: ESPN's FS coverage this season - why less than last year?

Hybrid View

Custom Title

ESPN's FS coverage this season - why less than last year?

Last year ESPN started showing 2 hours for SP's and then 3 hours the next day for LP's in the GP events, but it looks like again they will just have 3 total hours of LP's and nothing more like in the past. Why have they cut down amount of coverage? :(

Down With It
    I assume they showed more last year because it was the OLY season.

Custom Title
    Probably, but I was hoping the networks would try to build on the momentum from last season, especially with new American kid Meissner for marketers to replace Kwan with in commercials, etc. Oh well, at least we have figureskatingvideos online to download the SP's.

Down With It
    My guess is that the interest for FS simply isn't there in non-Olympic years so the events would get lower ratings than they would when there IS interest. So in their point of view I doubt it's worth it.

Custom Title
    Red Dog, I think you are right. It also didn't help that the ratings for the Torino Olys were at record lows, so any interest in the skaters from Olys didn't transfer to Worlds.

Down With It
    it also didn't help that Worlds was on cable (since the Olympics broadcast was available to everyone in the US).