View Poll Results: Who is your favorite spinner(s)?

Voters
262. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stephane Lambiel

81 30.92%
  • Paul Wylie

7 2.67%
  • Lucinda Ruh

76 29.01%
  • Alissa Czisny

70 26.72%
  • Sasha Cohen

29 11.07%
  • Dorothy Hamill

4 1.53%
  • Other-who?

46 17.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who's your favorite spinner?

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar

Who's your favorite spinner?

Who's your favorite spinner? and Why?

I voted for "other" -- Todd Eldredge. He always put a rousing blur spin at the big climax of his dramatic programs -- I thought that was figure skating at it's finest.

Between Stephane and Lucinda for me, particularly after Stephane's performance at COI

I think Ross from the show Friends would put his vote in for Dorothy

Good choices IMO.

Banned
    Alissa. She has beautiful positions, great centering, and lots of speed!

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    As much as I love Sasha (note my screen name) I had to vote Lucinda. She is just breathtaking and incomparable - a wonder of nature. (And art and perspiration too, I'm sure). You just look at her and marvel.

Some very good choices in this poll, but I had to go with my Todd for this one for the reasons Mathman said. He knows where to put in those spins in the programs for the maximum impact, and wows the crowds with them.

On the Ice
    Alissa

She is one of my favorite figure skaters, and I still love her spins.
    They're always centered, fast, and with awesome positions!

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Lucinda's spins are just not from this planet. Every now and then, I pop her 99 Worlds long program into the VCR just so I can sit and be completely amazed.

I think Eldredge has absolutely the best technique in the "traditional" spin positions; however one of the reasons he does is because he felt he had to improve his spinning in order to better compete with Scott Davis, who USED to have incredible spins before his overall skating went down the dumper. Ironically, by the time Eldredge's spins were competitive with Davis', Davis didn't have them anymore.

Lambiel has INTERESTING spins, but IMO they don't make me gasp in wonder or say oh wow like with Ruh or Eldredge. Another skater with really good interesting spins is Britain's Neil Wilson.

I had to go with national bias and say Neil Wilson since he spins like nobody's business and doing many of the lambiel type sit spins before him and at least as well as him and he also had a better camel spin thtn Lambiel (and a pretty decent layback too).

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    I had to go with national bias and say Neil Wilson since he spins like nobody's business and doing many of the lambiel type sit spins before him and at least as well as him and he also had a better camel spin thtn Lambiel (and a pretty decent layback too).

Ant
    I am curious, how fast and how long, I have never seen Neil that I recall. Not that speed and length are the only defining features to quality. I was really impressed with Stef's ability to spin on the same exact spot for the huge duration with the quality of positions, but that would not be the only reasons to consider him.....Blaa blaa...here I go again rambling.

I guess I should just go look him up. Thanks for turning me on to someone!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu View Post
    I am curious, how fast and how long, I have never seen Neil that I recall. Not that speed and length are the only defining features to quality. I was really impressed with Stef's ability to spin on the same exact spot for the huge duration with the quality of positions, but that would not be the only reasons to consider him.....Blaa blaa...here I go again rambling.

I guess I should just go look him up. Thanks for turning me on to someone!
    Sadly i can't any Neil Wilson on youtube but he beat Ruh's record for number of rotations on a forward scratch spin, then Ruh went for another attempt and beat his. In terms of length of spin/number of rotations and centering Neil is on a par (well maybe slightly less) with Ruh.

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Sadly i can't any Neil Wilson on youtube but he beat Ruh's record for number of rotations on a forward scratch spin, then Ruh went for another attempt and beat his. In terms of length of spin/number of rotations and centering Neil is on a par (well maybe slightly less) with Ruh.

Ant
    Thanks for that info, to bad there is no link to a vid of him. I really want to see now. Oh well. I will start looking for him.

Has he followed up on coaching I wonder. There is not that much out there on him. To no surprise GoldenSkate was one of the places I found info on him. Yes GS rocks!

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    So who did you vote for, JonnyCoop? You must vote. You may only vote once.

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    You may only vote once.
    Actually, this poll is set up so that you can vote for as many choices as you want. (I know this beause I was the second person to vote and CzarinaAnya had already voted for everybody, just to star the poll off right )

Tripping on the Podium
    I love Nobunari Oda's spins, they're so fast and he makes them look so easy.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast