Who's your favorite spinner? | Golden Skate

Who's your favorite spinner?

Who is your favorite spinner(s)?

• Total voters
I voted for "other" -- Todd Eldredge. He always put a rousing blur spin at the big climax of his dramatic programs -- I thought that was figure skating at it's finest.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Between Stephane and Lucinda for me, particularly after Stephane's performance at COI:clap:

I think Ross from the show Friends would put his vote in for Dorothy:laugh:

Good choices IMO.

As much as I love Sasha (note my screen name) I had to vote Lucinda. She is just breathtaking and incomparable - a wonder of nature. (And art and perspiration too, I'm sure). You just look at her and marvel.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some very good choices in this poll, but I had to go with my :love: Todd for this one for the reasons Mathman said. He knows where to put in those spins in the programs for the maximum impact, and wows the crowds with them. :clap:

AlissaCzisnyFan

Rinkside
Alissa

She is one of my favorite figure skaters, and I still love her spins.
They're always centered, fast, and with awesome positions! :biggrin:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Lucinda's spins are just not from this planet. Every now and then, I pop her 99 Worlds long program into the VCR just so I can sit and be completely amazed.

I think Eldredge has absolutely the best technique in the "traditional" spin positions; however one of the reasons he does is because he felt he had to improve his spinning in order to better compete with Scott Davis, who USED to have incredible spins before his overall skating went down the dumper. Ironically, by the time Eldredge's spins were competitive with Davis', Davis didn't have them anymore.

Lambiel has INTERESTING spins, but IMO they don't make me gasp in wonder or say oh wow like with Ruh or Eldredge. Another skater with really good interesting spins is Britain's Neil Wilson.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I had to go with national bias and say Neil Wilson since he spins like nobody's business and doing many of the lambiel type sit spins before him and at least as well as him and he also had a better camel spin thtn Lambiel (and a pretty decent layback too).

Ant

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I had to go with national bias and say Neil Wilson since he spins like nobody's business and doing many of the lambiel type sit spins before him and at least as well as him and he also had a better camel spin thtn Lambiel (and a pretty decent layback too).

Ant

I am curious, how fast and how long, I have never seen Neil that I recall. Not that speed and length are the only defining features to quality. I was really impressed with Stef's ability to spin on the same exact spot for the huge duration with the quality of positions, but that would not be the only reasons to consider him.....Blaa blaa...here I go again rambling.

I guess I should just go look him up. Thanks for turning me on to someone!

antmanb

Record Breaker
I am curious, how fast and how long, I have never seen Neil that I recall. Not that speed and length are the only defining features to quality. I was really impressed with Stef's ability to spin on the same exact spot for the huge duration with the quality of positions, but that would not be the only reasons to consider him.....Blaa blaa...here I go again rambling.

I guess I should just go look him up. Thanks for turning me on to someone!

Sadly i can't any Neil Wilson on youtube but he beat Ruh's record for number of rotations on a forward scratch spin, then Ruh went for another attempt and beat his. In terms of length of spin/number of rotations and centering Neil is on a par (well maybe slightly less) with Ruh.

Ant

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Sadly i can't any Neil Wilson on youtube but he beat Ruh's record for number of rotations on a forward scratch spin, then Ruh went for another attempt and beat his. In terms of length of spin/number of rotations and centering Neil is on a par (well maybe slightly less) with Ruh.

Ant

Thanks for that info, to bad there is no link to a vid of him. I really want to see now. Oh well. I will start looking for him.

Has he followed up on coaching I wonder. There is not that much out there on him. To no surprise GoldenSkate was one of the places I found info on him. Yes GS rocks!:rock:

You may only vote once. :think:
Actually, this poll is set up so that you can vote for as many choices as you want. (I know this beause I was the second person to vote and CzarinaAnya had already voted for everybody, just to star the poll off right :laugh: )

Well, in that case, everybody please mentally add another vote for Sasha! ;)

(I can't go back and register my extra votes.)

antmanb

Record Breaker
Thanks for that info, to bad there is no link to a vid of him. I really want to see now. Oh well. I will start looking for him.

Has he followed up on coaching I wonder. There is not that much out there on him. To no surprise GoldenSkate was one of the places I found info on him. Yes GS rocks!:rock:

I don't know what he's doing now, but i remember that in the last couple of seasons that he was elligible he trained in Canada (possibly with Doug Leigh? I'm not sure).

He used to strggle to put all his jumpsinto his competitive programs but he did land a triple axel or two in competition everntually. His style of skating reminded me a little of John Curry - he wasn't as good as john but there was something about his style and his lines that reminded me of him.

He may have gone back to Northern Ireland where he was originally from?

Ant

Final Flight
Delobel and Schoenfelder's spin at the 2006 olympics....
perfect music placement.....along with the masquerade....:rock: