Whatever happened to Nicole Watts? | Golden Skate

Whatever happened to Nicole Watts?

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
I remember several years ago seeing a lovely young Canadian skater named Nicole Watts, who had I think, juvenile arthritis or something. I was so impressed by her deer-like movement across the ice. Did she finally have to drop out because her arthritis got worse?

lotusland

On the Ice
Nicole had juvenile arthritis, training at an elite level was increasingly more and more difficult for her as she was having difficulty contolling her physical health. In the end, she decided she could not put the hours on the ice that were necessary inorder for her to advance, or even maintain, her skills, she elected to pursue her schooling. Last I heard, she wanted to eventually enter medical school after she obtained her undergraduate designation. What she chose for an undergrad study I don't know.

sheilagh

Rinkside
Actually, the medication which Nicole had been taking for a long time, which was largely responsible for her arthritis going into remission, was taken off the market and she was forced to change to an alternate medication, which was far less effective.

-- sheilagh

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I was just thinking about Nicole the other day. She is such a good skater and a joy to watch. It is a shame she can't continue competing. It's good to hear some news about her. Thanks for this.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I was just thinking about Nicole the other day. She is such a good skater and a joy to watch. It is a shame she can't continue competing. It's good to hear some news about her. Thanks for this.

So was I. It's a shame we didn't get to see more of her skating.