What's Happening in U.S. Regionals and Sectionals? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What's Happening in U.S. Regionals and Sectionals?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Skaters who elect to skate in a competition are there mainly for a run though of their 2007 routines. Even a skater like Alyssa, if she skates, will have to place in the top 4 to go to the Sectionals. Risky isn't it?
Alissa Czisny MUST skate at regionals because she doesn't qualify for a bye through EGL regionals. She currently qualifies for a bye through Midwestern Sectionals in mid-November to 2007 Nationals due to her Cup of Russia GP assignment as long as she places in the top 4 seniors at EGL. Ditto for Christine Zukowski at South Atlantic Regionals as well as the skaters who qualify for the JGP Final who will receive a bye through their respective Sectionals to Nationals.

The skaters who have a bye and do not wish to skate will still be eligible for Sectionals. I'm thinking of Megan Oster
Yes, but if Oster qualifies for the JGP Final with her placement at the Liberec JGP, then she will receive a bye through Mids; otherwise, she will have to compete at Mids in order to qualify for Nationals.

I note Adam Rippon will skate in South Atlantic. I'm looking forward to a great skater through Nats and Jr Worlds.
Rippon has been skating very well (especially at Mid-Atlantics last month!), and he's definitely one of the main contendors to make Nationals from the Eastern section. There are 3 U.S. men's spots for the 2007 Junior World team and LOTS of talented guys -- it'll come down to who skates and places well at Nationals in the senior and junior events.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Alissa Czisny will have no problem finishing top 4 at Regionals. Looking at Pacific results, few of the top 4 Senior skaters sailed through with no mistakes or glitches. Alissa may have her jump problems, but her other elements are top-notch, and she's made it to Nationals at the Senior level every year since 2002.

Skye

On the Ice
Alissa Czisny MUST skate at regionals because she doesn't qualify for a bye through EGL regionals. She currently qualifies for a bye through Midwestern Sectionals in mid-November to 2007 Nationals due to her Cup of Russia GP assignment as long as she places in the top 4 seniors at EGL. Ditto for Christine Zukowski at South Atlantic Regionals as well as the skaters who qualify for the JGP Final who will receive a bye through their respective Sectionals to Nationals.

Did Alissa Czisny get a bye through both regionals and sectionals last year? I'm guessing it was due to her GP assignments? It's interesting that had Alissa competed in sectionals last year she might have beat Katy Taylor and winning the Mids, she would have qualified for a bye for regionals this year.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alissa didn't have to do Regionals last season because the dates conflicted with her GP assignments. She won silver at SA and gold at SC, and qualified for the GPF, which automatically exempted her from Sectionals.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not to worry about Rachael Flatt. She won her qualifying round and her score was almost 14 points higher than her closest competitor.

brinababy87

Rinkside
LOL, someone I know is competing against Alissa. She was like, "I think I might ask her for her autograph." :rofl:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Is Danielle Kale competing? I did not see her name anywhere.

Kahle had a bye through Southwest Pacific Regionals last weekend because she is competing in Vienna (Karl Schaefer Memorial, her first senior international comp.) this week. Kahle is scheduled to compete at Pacific Coast Sectionals in mid-November in order to qualify for Nationals.

Alissa Czisny competes at EGL Regionals today (late afternoon/early evening). She skates 11th of 18 in the Senior Ladies SP in Ann Arbor, MI.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
EASTERN GREAT LAKES

Besides Alissa Czisny, other notable senior ladies include past Nationals competitors Abigail Legg (senior in 2006) and Ameena Sheikh (novice), and Danielle Leong. Melissa Telecky has reportedly withdrawn.

Junior Men's SP this afternoon will feature Jonathan Cassar and William Brewster (8th and 14th in junior, respectively, at 2006 Nationals) and Grant Hochstein, who has been skating very well this season. They will be followed in the Senior Men's SP by Wesley Campbell and Ben Woolwine.

In Junior Ladies qualifying yesterday, the high scorer was Brittney Westdorp (85.85) in A, with Cara Kinney 2nd, and Sameena Sheikh won B with the 2nd highest junior score of the day (71.49).

SOUTHWESTERNS

SENIOR:
Rachael Flatt easily won qualifying group B, scoring 93.21 points. Caroline Miller (12th in junior at 2006 Nationals) won group A (79.41). Top 6 in each group advance to tonight's SP.

JUNIOR: 3 skaters scored over 80 points in their qualifying groups -- Becky Bereswill (82.71) and Alexe Gilles (80.67) went 1-2 in A, while Chaochih Liu won B (83.44). Jump highlights in A were Bereswill's 2A-3T combo, 3Z, and 3S, and Gilles' two 3S (one in combo with a 2T), and 2A to 2A sequence.

NOVICE: Angela Maxwell (11th at 2006 Novice Nationals) was the high scorer by far (80.34).

In Senior Men, Braden Overett and Casey McCraw (6th in junior at 2006 Nationals) are the only competitors as Ryan Bradley has elected not to compete (Parker Pennington and Jeremy Abbott have byes). There is no Junior men's event because there are 4 or fewer entries, so Austin Kanallakan does not have to compete here and can now take his bye to Nationals.

NORTH ATLANTICS

Katrina Hacker scored 92.16 points to win her qualifying group (B) last night at North Atlantics. Suzy McDonald (senior at 2004 Nationals) was 2nd in B, and Joelle Forte 3rd. Taylor Firth placed 1st in group A with 74.21 points (reportedly landed 3 triples plus 2A, fell on a 3F and had good presentation in his "Mission" FS), with Adriana DeSanctis 2nd and Chloe Katz (of the senior pairs of Katz/Lynch) 3rd.

Ksenia Makarova (80.89 points) turned in one of the best lower level qualifying performances of the day yesterday in winning her Novice ladies group by landing a 3salchow to 3toe sequence (she also has a 3loop, a second 3sal and a 2axel combo planned in her FS but I don't know if she landed everything).

Jane Ruan was the highest point scorer (70.41) in Junior Ladies qualifying, and reportedly attempted triples through flip with some mistakes.

In today's action, David Weintraub (senior) and Daniel Raad (junior) both scored around 53 points to win their SP events.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Danielle Kahle did win silver at Karl Schafer, but her FS score (80.70) was nothing to write home about.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Will these skaters who got bye at regionals because of conflict of their international assignment be required in Sectional?

waxel

Final Flight
Sylvia thanks for all the great info and juicy tidbits. Please keep 'em coming!

Sylvia

Record Breaker
LOL, I don't think the tidbits I've provided are all that juicy but rather on the dry side so far. ;)

Will these skaters who got bye at regionals because of conflict of their international assignment be required in Sectional?
As I posted earlier, Danielle Kahle is currently scheduled to compete at Pacific Coast Sectionals next month (ditto for Nicholas LaRoche, Dennis Phan, Michael Villarreal and Dice Murakami in senior men). As long as Alissa Czisny and Christine Zukowski place in the top 4 of their Regionals, they will then receive a bye through their respective Sectionals to Nationals because they each have a Senior Grand Prix competition that conflicts with Sectionals.

Danielle Kahle did win silver at Karl Schafer, but her FS score (80.70) was nothing to write home about.
True. not a great score but she was only less than l point behind Gedenvanisvili. Not bad considering all the praise Elene has been getting.

Sylvia - Thanks a million for all that info.

Joe

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
Sorry if I missed it but, I didn't see her name: Sandy Rucker, I think that's her name? She was on that show Ice Diaries, I can't remember what region or section she was from? Has she decided to compete this season?

2ndmark

Rinkside
Just saw that Sandy Rucker was 9th (out of 12) in the SP at Southwesterns. So it would seem that problems continue to plague her.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The last 3 Regionals take place this week.

New England (NE) Regional Championships, Marlborough, Mass.
Link to USFS' event page with schedule/starting orders/official results
Link to host club's site with schedule

BYES (do not have to compete here): Juliana Cannarozzo, Stephen Carriere (seniors/both have qualified for JGP Final).

Notable Skaters (just a sampling):
SR: Jessica Houston, Kylie Gleason, Michelle Boulos
JR: Curran Oi, Colin Pennington; Brittney Rizo, Michaelee Scarincio
NOV: Ross Miner

South Atlantic (SA) Regional Championships, Aston, PA
Link to host club's site with schedule

BYES (do not have to compete here): Melissa Bulanhagui & Tommy Steenberg (senior/Liberec JGP), Ashley Wagner (junior/has qualified for JGP Final), Blake Rosenthal (junior/Taipei JGP)

Notable Skaters:
SR: Christine Zukowski, Megan Williams-Stewart, Jane Bugaeva; Derrick Delmore, Shaun Rogers, Craig Ratterree, Traighe Rouse
JR: Ashley Wagner, Adam Rippon
NOV: Kristine Musademba & a deep field of ladies; Scott Dyer, Armin
Mahbanoozadeh, Zachary DeWulf, Alexander Aiken & more (deep field as well)

Upper Great Lakes (UGL) Regional Championships, Richfield, Minnesota
Link to host club's site with
schedule

BYE: Megan Oster (senior/Liberec JGP)

Notable Skaters:
SR: Megan Hyatt, Molly Oberstar, Angie Lien; Rohene Ward, Michael Peters
JR: Eliot Halverson, Osadolo Irowa; Rhiana Brammeier, Kirsten Olson, Christina-Maria Sperduto, Debbie Knubley, Elyse Oskvarek, Mary Catherine Beck, Taylor Kulpa & more
NOV: Alexander Johnson; Kate Charbonneau, Kayla Howey, Alexa Scimeca, Caroline Ferris & more