Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: What's Happening in U.S. Regionals and Sectionals?

[QUOTE=Tonichelle;206409]when I said rinks I meant regions... I'm not really familiar with how it all works...

I've seen Keegan skate and I'm not sure if he's the one my aunt mentioned... apparently it was in the newspaper or something (like I have time to read that stuff lol )
    I want to say it was a girl.... but then again I wasn't the one who read the blurb...[/QUOTE

Crystal Williams is who it is...I think. I use to skate with her years ago (like back in grade school when we were in Prelim and sub Juv.). I'm not sure what her artistry is like but she and her sister use to skate. I noticed that she was very musical early on.

Custom Title
    Crystal Williams finished 2nd in Senior Ladies at NWP Regionals. I'm not familiar with her name and have never seen her skate, so thanks for that tidbit about her, dwiggin3.

Custom Title
    These 3 Regionals take place this week -- Oct. 11-14.

Eastern Great Lakes (EGL) Regional Championships, Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Link to USFS' event page
    Link to host club's site with schedule & roster/groups

BYE (skater does not have to compete here): Andrea Best (junior/Liberec JGP in pairs)

Notable Skaters competing (just a sampling):
    SR: Alissa Czisny, Wesley Campbell
    JR: Jonathan Cassar, William Brewster, Grant Hochstein
    NOV: Daniel Palmeri

Southwestern (SW) Regional Championships, Arvada, Colorado
    Link to USFS' event page (starting orders/eventual results)
    Link to host club's site with schedule

BYES (skaters don't have to compete here): Erica Archambault & Jeremy Abbott (senior/Finlandia Trophy), Parker Pennington (senior/for winning Mids last year); Brandon Mroz & Kaela Pflumm (junior/Taipei JGP).

Notable Skaters (just a sampling):
    SR: Rachael Flatt; Ryan Bradley & Braden Overett [assuming they have elected to compete here?]
    JR: Austin Kanallakan [if there is a Jr. men's event?]
    NOV: Roger Corvasce, Angela Maxwell

North Atlantic (NA) Regional Championships, Jamestown, NY
    Link to USFS' event page (starting orders/eventual results)

BYE (skater does not have to compete here): Stephanie Roth (senior/for winning Easterns last year) and Jordan Miller (elected not to compete if there are 4 or fewer NA senior men)

SR: Katrina Hacker, Taylor Firth, Adriana DeSanctis; David Weintraub
    JR: Daniel Raad, Jane Ruan
    NOV: Kevin Sun, Vincent Ip, Ksenia Makarova
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-10-2006 at 03:15 PM.

Custom Title
    The last 3 Regionals take place October 18-21.

New England (NE) Regional Championships, Marlborough, Mass.
    Link to USFS' event page

SR: Juliana Cannarozzo, Jessica Houston, Kylie Gleason, Michelle Boulos; Stephen Carriere and Jason Wong [if they have elected to compete here?]
    JR: Curran Oi, Colin Pennington; Brittney Rizo, Michaelee Scarincio [I believe she's switched from NA to NE?]
    NOV: Ross Miner

South Atlantic (SA) Regional Championships, Aston, PA
    Link to USFS' event page

BYES (do not have to compete here): Melissa Bulanhagui & Tommy Steenberg (senior/Liberec JGP), Blake Rosenthal (junior/Taipei JGP)

Notable Skaters:
    SR: Christine Zukowski, Megan Williams-Stewart, Jane Bugaeva; Derrick Delmore, Shaun Rogers, Craig Ratterree, Traighe Rouse
    JR: Ashley Wagner, Adam Rippon
    NOV: Kristine Musademba & a deep field of ladies; Scott Dyer, Armin
    Mahbanoozadeh, Zachary DeWulf, Alexander Aiken & more (deep field as well)

Upper Great Lakes (UGL) Regional Championships, Richfield, Minnesota
    Link to USFS' event page
    Link to host club's site with
    schedule

BYE: Megan Oster (senior/Liberec JGP)

Notable Skaters:
    SR: Megan Hyatt, Molly Oberstar, Angie Lien; Rohene Ward, Michael Peters
    JR: Eliot Halverson, Osadolo Irowa; Rhiana Brammeier, Kirsten Olson, Christina-Maria Sperduto, Debbie Knubley, Elyse Oskvarek, Mary Catherine Beck, Taylor Kulpa & more
    NOV: Alexander Johnson; Kate Charbonneau, Kayla Howey, Alexa Scimeca, Caroline Ferris & more

Lots of information here, Sylvia. Can you clue me in on a few things?

Skaters who elect to skate in a competition are there mainly for a run though of their 2007 routines. Even a skater like Alyssa, if she skates, will have to place in the top 4 to go to the Sectionals. Risky isn't it?

The skaters who have a bye and do not wish to skate will still be eligible for Sectionals. I'm thinking of Megan Oster

I note Adam Rippon will skate in South Atlantic. I'm looking forward to a great skater through Nats and Jr Worlds.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Skaters who elect to skate in a competition are there mainly for a run though of their 2007 routines. Even a skater like Alyssa, if she skates, will have to place in the top 4 to go to the Sectionals. Risky isn't it?
    Alissa Czisny MUST skate at regionals because she doesn't qualify for a bye through EGL regionals. She currently qualifies for a bye through Midwestern Sectionals in mid-November to 2007 Nationals due to her Cup of Russia GP assignment as long as she places in the top 4 seniors at EGL. Ditto for Christine Zukowski at South Atlantic Regionals as well as the skaters who qualify for the JGP Final who will receive a bye through their respective Sectionals to Nationals.

The skaters who have a bye and do not wish to skate will still be eligible for Sectionals. I'm thinking of Megan Oster
    Yes, but if Oster qualifies for the JGP Final with her placement at the Liberec JGP, then she will receive a bye through Mids; otherwise, she will have to compete at Mids in order to qualify for Nationals.

I note Adam Rippon will skate in South Atlantic. I'm looking forward to a great skater through Nats and Jr Worlds.
    Rippon has been skating very well (especially at Mid-Atlantics last month!), and he's definitely one of the main contendors to make Nationals from the Eastern section. There are 3 U.S. men's spots for the 2007 Junior World team and LOTS of talented guys -- it'll come down to who skates and places well at Nationals in the senior and junior events.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-11-2006 at 09:43 AM.

Custom Title
    I think Alissa Czisny will have no problem finishing top 4 at Regionals. Looking at Pacific results, few of the top 4 Senior skaters sailed through with no mistakes or glitches. Alissa may have her jump problems, but her other elements are top-notch, and she's made it to Nationals at the Senior level every year since 2002.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Alissa Czisny MUST skate at regionals because she doesn't qualify for a bye through EGL regionals. She currently qualifies for a bye through Midwestern Sectionals in mid-November to 2007 Nationals due to her Cup of Russia GP assignment as long as she places in the top 4 seniors at EGL. Ditto for Christine Zukowski at South Atlantic Regionals as well as the skaters who qualify for the JGP Final who will receive a bye through their respective Sectionals to Nationals.
    Did Alissa Czisny get a bye through both regionals and sectionals last year? I'm guessing it was due to her GP assignments? It's interesting that had Alissa competed in sectionals last year she might have beat Katy Taylor and winning the Mids, she would have qualified for a bye for regionals this year.

Custom Title
    Alissa didn't have to do Regionals last season because the dates conflicted with her GP assignments. She won silver at SA and gold at SC, and qualified for the GPF, which automatically exempted her from Sectionals.

Custom Title
    Not to worry about Rachael Flatt. She won her qualifying round and her score was almost 14 points higher than her closest competitor.

Custom Title
    Is Danielle Kale competing? I did not see her name anywhere.

Medalist
    LOL, someone I know is competing against Alissa. She was like, "I think I might ask her for her autograph."

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    Kahle had a bye through Southwest Pacific Regionals last weekend because she is competing in Vienna (Karl Schaefer Memorial, her first senior international comp.) this week. Kahle is scheduled to compete at Pacific Coast Sectionals in mid-November in order to qualify for Nationals.

Alissa Czisny competes at EGL Regionals today (late afternoon/early evening). She skates 11th of 18 in the Senior Ladies SP in Ann Arbor, MI.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-13-2006 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    Check out the results of the SP. Danielle is right behind Gedenvanishvili in 2nd place. Not bad for her first int'll competition.

Joe

Custom Title
    EASTERN GREAT LAKES

Besides Alissa Czisny, other notable senior ladies include past Nationals competitors Abigail Legg (senior in 2006) and Ameena Sheikh (novice), and Danielle Leong. Melissa Telecky has reportedly withdrawn.

Junior Men's SP this afternoon will feature Jonathan Cassar and William Brewster (8th and 14th in junior, respectively, at 2006 Nationals) and Grant Hochstein, who has been skating very well this season. They will be followed in the Senior Men's SP by Wesley Campbell and Ben Woolwine.

In Junior Ladies qualifying yesterday, the high scorer was Brittney Westdorp (85.85) in A, with Cara Kinney 2nd, and Sameena Sheikh won B with the 2nd highest junior score of the day (71.49).

SOUTHWESTERNS

SENIOR:
    Rachael Flatt easily won qualifying group B, scoring 93.21 points. Caroline Miller (12th in junior at 2006 Nationals) won group A (79.41). Top 6 in each group advance to tonight's SP.

JUNIOR: 3 skaters scored over 80 points in their qualifying groups -- Becky Bereswill (82.71) and Alexe Gilles (80.67) went 1-2 in A, while Chaochih Liu won B (83.44). Jump highlights in A were Bereswill's 2A-3T combo, 3Z, and 3S, and Gilles' two 3S (one in combo with a 2T), and 2A to 2A sequence.

NOVICE: Angela Maxwell (11th at 2006 Novice Nationals) was the high scorer by far (80.34).

In Senior Men, Braden Overett and Casey McCraw (6th in junior at 2006 Nationals) are the only competitors as Ryan Bradley has elected not to compete (Parker Pennington and Jeremy Abbott have byes). There is no Junior men's event because there are 4 or fewer entries, so Austin Kanallakan does not have to compete here and can now take his bye to Nationals.

NORTH ATLANTICS

Katrina Hacker scored 92.16 points to win her qualifying group (B) last night at North Atlantics. Suzy McDonald (senior at 2004 Nationals) was 2nd in B, and Joelle Forte 3rd. Taylor Firth placed 1st in group A with 74.21 points (reportedly landed 3 triples plus 2A, fell on a 3F and had good presentation in his "Mission" FS), with Adriana DeSanctis 2nd and Chloe Katz (of the senior pairs of Katz/Lynch) 3rd.

Ksenia Makarova (80.89 points) turned in one of the best lower level qualifying performances of the day yesterday in winning her Novice ladies group by landing a 3salchow to 3toe sequence (she also has a 3loop, a second 3sal and a 2axel combo planned in her FS but I don't know if she landed everything).

Jane Ruan was the highest point scorer (70.41) in Junior Ladies qualifying, and reportedly attempted triples through flip with some mistakes.

In today's action, David Weintraub (senior) and Daniel Raad (junior) both scored around 53 points to win their SP events.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-13-2006 at 01:14 PM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast