Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: What's Happening in U.S. Regionals and Sectionals?

Custom Title
    Nice to see old Peaking Danielle Khale back in action. She had a pretty good score. Maybe she will surprise us this year. Who is Rachel Flatt? Is she any good? I want to see somebody steal the spotlight at nationals this year. Shake everybody up!

Custom Title
    Pacific Sectionals-- Nick LaRoche must have had a rough free skate, he was solidly in first after the SP. I've seen him at Nationals and always admired the strength in his skating. I guess Maxwell/Traxler relocated? I think they used to skate in Dallas and were in the Midwestern sectional?

I am sorry to see that Wesley Campbell (apparently) didn't skate well at Mids. I really enjoyed him as a Jr. skater and have been waiting for him to make the leap to Sr.

Speaking of Jr. skaters... any idea whatever happened to Jordan Brauninger? I was really looking forward to following him .. and then he just seemingly dropped off the face??

Custom Title

Something Else to Chew On

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Thanks Chuckum - I will be particularly glad to see the following and think there could be upsetting applecarts;

Evora/Ludwig in Senior Pairs

Adam Rippon (ya gotta see this guy. He's androgenous and much like Johnny Weir) in Junior Men.

Kristine Musadema in Novice Ladies

There are others I've heard about but not seen. And that Novice Dance, with those Canuscios and Lorellos. It should be a good US Nats with surprises in2007.

Joe

National Contenders

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought that this might be interesting to see before Nationals. Please note the COP scores:

Senior Ladies
    1 Danielle Kahle 150.24 1 1 - Pacific Sectionals
    1 Kylie Gleason 148.16 3 1 - Eastern Sectionals
    1 Rachael Flatt 159.27 1 1 - Midwestern Sectionals
    2 Kimmie MEISSNER USA GP Skate America 177.78 3 2
    3 Kimmie MEISSNER USA - GP Trophee Bompard 158.03 4 4
    5 Emily HUGHES USA - GP Skate America 147.34 5 6
    3 Emily HUGHES USA - GP Cup of China 151.12 1 3
    4 Alissa CZISNY USA - GP Skate Canada 163.69 4 3
    5 Beatrisa LIANG USA - GP Cup of China 134.99 5 8

Senior Men
    1 Michael Villarreal 172.35 2 1 - Pacific Sectionals
    1 Jeremy Abbott 201.63 1 2 - Midwestern Sectionals
    1 Derrick Delmore 180.86 1 2 - Eastern Sectionals
    2 Evan LYSACEK USA GP Skate America 221.09 3 1
    1 Evan LYSACEK USA- GP Cup of China 220.04 2 1
    6 Scott SMITH USA GP Skate America 173.08 8 6
    4 Scott SMITH USA - GP Cup of China - 192.38 3 4
    3 Johnny WEIR USA - GP Skate Canada 198.70 2 4

Junior Ladies
    1 Caroline ZHANG USA 162.43 1 1 - JGP Mexico
    1 Caroline ZHANG USA 162.42 1 1 - JGP Taipei
    1 Ashley WAGNER USA 134.95 4 1- JGP Courchevel
    1 Ashley WAGNER USA 133.98 2 1- JGP The Hague
    1 Megan OSTER USA 121.68 1 3 - JGP Liberac
    2 Megan OSTER USA 126.20 1 2 – JGP The Hague
    2 Megan HYATT USA 123.51 2 2 – JGP Couchevel
    2 Megan OSTER USA 121.68 1 2 – JGP Liberac
    7 Megan HYATT USA 105.70 3 10 JGP Norway
    1 Juliana CANNAROZO USA 116.02 1 1 JGP Budapest
    1 Juliana CANNAROZO USA 123.28 1 4 JGP Norway
    2 Melissa BULANHAGUI USA 115.60 5 2 JGP Micurea
    4 Melissa BULANHAGUI USA 110.42 5 2 JGP Liberac
    1 Sherry Barnes 134.01 4 1 - Eastern Sectionals
    1 Alexe Gilles 132.48 1 1 - Midwestern Sectionals
    1 Mirai Nagasu 135.04 1 1 - Pacific Sectionals

Junior Men
    1 Eliot Halverson 178.88 1 1 - Midwestern Sectionals
    3 Eliot HALVERSON USA 164.56 5 2 - JGP - The Hague
    3 Eliot HALVERSON USA 159.66 1 4 JGP – Budapest
    2 Curran OI USA 159.86 5 2 JGP Courchevel
    4 Curran OI USA 145.81 6 3 JGP Oslo
    1 Curran OI USA 179.81 1 1 New England Regionals
    1 Adam Rippon 177.69 1 1 – Eastern Sectionals
    1 Adam Rippon 139.44 1 1 South Atlantic Regionals
    1 Austin KANALLAKAN USA 172.01 -JGP Courcheval
    1 Austin KANALLAKAN USA 162.56 2 1- JGP Oslo
    1 Brandon MROZ USA 177.16 1 2 - JGP Taipei
    2 Brandon MROZ USA 148.55 11 1 JGP Mexico
    1 Stephen CARRIERE USA 164.01 2 2 - JGP Budapest - Skating this year as a senior man
    1 Stephen CARRIERE USA 178.62 2 1 JGP - The Hague -Skating this year as a senior man
    1 Tommy S TEENBERG USA 175.30 1 1- JGP Skating this year as a senior man
    1 Tommy STEENBERG USA 172.28 2 1 -JGP - Liberac Skating this year as a senior man

Custom Title
    Just a caveat: you can't compare Sectionals scores vs. ISU scores. Sectional and National scoring tends to be inflated. Emily Hughes, for example, would get at least 10 points higher if she skated her SA and/or CoC programs, flawed as they were, at Nationals.

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by waxel View Post
    Pacific Sectionals-- Nick LaRoche must have had a rough free skate, he was solidly in first after the SP. I've seen him at Nationals and always admired the strength in his skating.
    He had three falls and bailed out of another jump. It was not a good outing for him, but he landed the only clean 3/3 of the competition.

Maxwell/Traxler did compete in Midwestern Sectionals last year:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/event...ance-free.html

The year before, she was in novice with another partner.
    Last edited by hockeyfan228; 11-20-2006 at 05:39 PM.

Not only that but different scores from different judges does indeed play into the graph. Best way to compare is by base points.

Check out this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk8NU2mRhWc

She's 15 and elected to skate senior (maybe to avoid Zhang)

Joe

Flatt moved up to Seniors because she was 2nd at Nationals in Juniors last year to Megan Hyatt (by a very small margin). Why NOT move up when you do that well? Flatt was supposed to skate in the JGP circuit this year, but a back injury kept her out. I think Flatt is 14, BTW.

Custom Title
    Then isn't she to young to go to Worlds if she makes the team?

Custom Title
    Rachael turned 14 in July. She turned Senior after finishing 2nd as a Junior at 2006 Nationals; she was also the 2005 Novice champion. She is following a path similar to Kimmie Meissner, who won the Novice championship, then the Junior championship, then moved up to Seniors (and medaled) at 15, but was too young to go to Worlds 2005.

Rachael won't be eligible to go to Worlds until the 2008-2009 season. She expects to compete as a Junior until then. It's too bad her back injury kept her out of the JGP this season. She couldn't skate in the JPG last year because she was too young!

I was at the Liberty Open (the utube video linked to above). That was her second performance of "An American in Paris" and it was quite good, but nowhere near as good as her SP. Her SP, to a Brahms piece, was exquisite.

I don't think for one minute that Rachael moved up to Senior out of fear of Caroline Zhang. I just think that she is ready for that step up, and she proved it by winning Mids Senior Sectionals decisively (both SP and FS).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Rachael turned 14 in July. She turned Senior after finishing 2nd as a Junior at 2006 Nationals; she was also the 2005 Novice champion. She is following a path similar to Kimmie Meissner, who won the Novice championship, then the Junior championship, then moved up to Seniors (and medaled) at 15, but was too young to go to Worlds 2005.

Rachael won't be eligible to go to Worlds until the 2008-2009 season. She expects to compete as a Junior until then. It's too bad her back injury kept her out of the JGP this season. She couldn't skate in the JPG last year because she was too young!

I was at the Liberty Open (the utube video linked to above). That was her second performance of "An American in Paris" and it was quite good, but nowhere near as good as her SP. Her SP, to a Brahms piece, was exquisite.

I don't think for one minute that Rachael moved up to Senior out of fear of Caroline Zhang. I just think that she is ready for that step up, and she proved it by winning Mids Senior Sectionals decisively (both SP and FS).
    Flatt does seem to be on a similar trajectory as Meissner, moving up the ranks pretty much one level each yr. From USFSA site.....Flatt was nine yrs old at her first Jr Nationals event as a Juvenile singles skater in 2002. In 2003, she finished 6th at JNs in Juv girls, and 2nd in Juv Pairs. In 2004, she again went to JNs as a Intermediate ...both in Pairs (national champion with former partner Andrew Speroff) and also in singles. In 2005 at age 12, Flatt was US Novice Ladies champion. In 2006, last year, as a 13 yr old, placed 2nd at Juniors at US Nationals (losing to Hyatt by about 2 points IIRC). She tested the waters at summer events this year as a Senior...Broadmoor, Liberty and local events in Colorado , and won each event. She has added 3/3 to her jumping repetoire this year; again, similar path Meissner has taken. I would say that Flatt is looking towards the bar that is being raised internationally by Kimmie, Mao and YuNa, and Miki. As posted above, she certainly made a statement winning regionals and Mids (by 33 pts...6 triples and 2A/2A sequence in her LP). So, she is right on target with Sr ladies domestically and internationally.

Flatt will compete domestically as a Sr, but internationally as a Jr until she is age eligible for Sr. Last yr, following her Novice season, she missed the JPG because she was too young and this season, a back injury prevented her participation in the fall JGP season.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Not only that but different scores from different judges does indeed play into the graph. Best way to compare is by base points.

Check out this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk8NU2mRhWc

She's 15 and elected to skate senior (maybe to avoid Zhang)

Joe
    If she's trying to avoid Zhang, then the tactic is a good one. I don't think her spins or sprials are as good as Zhangs (though i've only watched both on youtube) and Flatt looked pretty tired and laboured in that liberty open clip. I know Zhang also flutzes but Flatt has that cohen thing of doing her flutz and flip in exactly the same way. My preference would be Zhang over Flatt.

Ant

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    If she's trying to avoid Zhang, then the tactic is a good one. I don't think her spins or sprials are as good as Zhangs (though i've only watched both on youtube) and Flatt looked pretty tired and laboured in that liberty open clip. I know Zhang also flutzes but Flatt has that cohen thing of doing her flutz and flip in exactly the same way. My preference would be Zhang over Flatt.

Ant
    Again, it doesn't seem likely that Flatt is trying to avoid Zhang. Flatt finished 2nd last yr as a Junior, Zhang was 8th. What was the point of Flatt sitting in Junior another year. ALL of the junior ladies from 2006 have moved to Senior except Wagner (4th last year IIRC and Zhang). Flatt may not have the flexibility of Zhang (but then again, there are few who do). Zhang had under-rotated jumps for years. If anything, Flatt is looking ahead, because it really is ALL about being an Olympic elegible skater, isn't it?? And she has taken on the challenge of moving to Senior ladies this year, which it looks like she is ready. (the YouTube clip did not do her LP justice as we saw it last weekend at Mids). Enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Again, it doesn't seem likely that Flatt is trying to avoid Zhang. Flatt finished 2nd last yr as a Junior, Zhang was 8th. What was the point of Flatt sitting in Junior another year. ALL of the junior ladies from 2006 have moved to Senior except Wagner (4th last year IIRC and Zhang). Flatt may not have the flexibility of Zhang (but then again, there are few who do). Zhang had under-rotated jumps for years. If anything, Flatt is looking ahead, because it really is ALL about being an Olympic elegible skater, isn't it?? And she has taken on the challenge of moving to Senior ladies this year, which it looks like she is ready. (the YouTube clip did not do her LP justice as we saw it last weekend at Mids). Enough said.
    I did wonder, which is why i caveated my comments by saying they were based strictly on the youtube clip. I have heard many different peope hyping Flatt whcih is why i felt a little disappointed viewing the youtube clip (something that despite the hype didn't happen with Zhang).

Hopefully i'll get to see more performances on TV of her in the future.

Ant

I don't believe that any of these skaters try to avoid competition. If that were their game, they wouldn't be doing sports at all.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by waxel View Post
    I am sorry to see that Wesley Campbell (apparently) didn't skate well at Mids. I really enjoyed him as a Jr. skater and have been waiting for him to make the leap to Sr.
    Actually, Wesley Campbell skated quite well at Mids -- I especially enjoyed his free skate performance -- but the Mids senior men's field was the toughest/deepest of the 3 Sectionals unfortunately for him, Rohene Ward (who really didn't skate badly, IMO, just not well enough) and the rest of the talented senior men. In my view, Jeremy Abbott, Braden Overett, Ryan Bradley, and Parker Pennington skated their two programs the most consistently and deserved their top 4 placements and Nationals berths.

In senior ladies at Mids, Rachael Flatt landed all her planned jumps in her SP (3Z-2T, 3F, 2A) and FS (6 triples, plus 2A-2A sequence as mentioned above) -- a very impressive jumping display for someone who is recovering from a back injury that curtailed her JGP debut this fall. I look forward to watching Flatt continue to develop the "presentation/artistry" aspect of her skating.

Speaking of Jr. skaters... any idea whatever happened to Jordan Brauninger? I was really looking forward to following him .. and then he just seemingly dropped off the face??
    Unofficial word is that he just developed other interests and quit skating. I'm glad I got to enjoy his skating in person (through 2005 Junior Worlds) while I could.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-21-2006 at 03:47 PM.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast