Johnny webcast | Golden Skate

Johnny webcast

momjudi

On the Ice
Johnny Weir did a webcast in which he said he was suffering from undiagnosed mono during the Olympics and Worlds. He was only diagnosed when he woke up with severe swollen glands while on the COI tour. He saw a doctor who told him he had mono and most likely had it for quite awhile. The link to the webcast is hopefully posted below.

http://www.wfsreport.com/

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My niece had mono, and it was very much like Johnny's. She had been having periods where she was active all day but then got listless and exhausted at night, with a low grade fever. She didn't exactly seem sick, but she wasn't her usual upbeat self. This went on for a couple of months, then the swollen glands on her neck surfaced, and she went to the doctor and was diagnosed with mono.

With mono, the effects of the disease become worse late in the day, when the body's stamina and endurance are at a low. As the Men's FSs at the major events were in the evening, it makes sense that Johnny fared worse at the FSs than he did at the shorter SPs. That he was able to perform as well as he did is amazing.

Mono also tends to have a depressive effect on the mind. Johnny's speaking of "blackness" descending on him at Torino before the FS hints of this.

gio

Medalist
Mono also tends to have a depressive effect on the mind. Johnny's speaking of "blackness" descending on him at Torino before the FS hints of this.

True!!! Also a relative of mine who had mono was depressed and exhausted. Then he went to the doctor who diagnosed him with mono.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Frankly, with all the traveling and constant contact figureskaters have with the public (i.e. shaking hands, signing autographs), I'm surprised they aren't sick more often. I know they eat well and keep their bodies fit but constant exposure to every virus know to man must take it's toll from time to time. Also, being under so much pressure and stress must enter into the equation also.

Dizzy

LarasB

Rinkside
My sister's daughter was diagnosed with mono and I remember that she was so listless, no energy whatsover. I feel so bad for Johnny having to skate through that.

Jasper

Final Flight
I don't feel much very sympathetic, to be honest. When are skaters ever at top health? Plushenko had to battle all his chronic illnesses of age when winning the Olympics. Lambiel had to battle his troublesome knee (surgerically repaired twice before) when winning Worlds this year. The point is that they have to fight through it and do the best they can anyway.

I think Johnny's lethargic, listless skating in the LP was probably still due more to nerves. Let's not forget how nerves can exhaust a body.

CDMM1991

Medalist
I don't feel much very sympathetic, to be honest. When are skaters ever at top health? Plushenko had to battle all his chronic illnesses of age when winning the Olympics. Lambiel had to battle his troublesome knee (surgerically repaired twice before) when winning Worlds this year. The point is that they have to fight through it and do the best they can anyway.

I think Johnny's lethargic, listless skating in the LP was probably still due more to nerves. Let's not forget how nerves can exhaust a body.

I agree. I feel sympathetically for Johnny personally, but not from an athlete's perspective, in terms of it being any kind of excuse for his performance.