Finlandia Cup Results | Golden Skate

Finlandia Cup Results

The Brothers Uspenskis are doing well in the early competitions this year. Hope I get to see them at some point.

I think this was Jeremy's first international comp. He won US Juniors last year.

La Roche won USA Juniors back in 2002 but not much since then.

Ah, one of my favorites: Susanna Poykio. Hope she holds on to the lead.

Poor Erica. Must have had a spill or two.

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Just a few remarks coming from me as I was trying to take pictures. It has been two years since I was in a live competition and photographing felt really akward, LOL...

I really enjoyed the first day in this competition. There was a more enthusiastic feeling among the audience than in Jäähalli (Ice Hall) areena. There are a lot less seats here in Tikkurila, and that adds to the atmosphere very much.

All Russian male skaters impressed me, although not everyone had a perfrect day. They all had beautiful programmes and interpreted the music really well.

Also I really enjoyed the skating of Jeremy Abbot very much, he was really fantastic, WOW. I was surprised of Nurmenkari´s placement, thought that he should have been at least one place lower. His costume I did not like at all, especially the back part of it. Usually I have seen better music interpretation from him, but maybe this one just does not suit him? I hope that Virtanen will do much better in the freeskate.

About ladies: In my opinion the scores of Laksola were a bit too low. I really loved Poykio´s performance and programme. It is though a huuuge pity that she does not work more with her footwork. AGAIN she looked so very slow in that part of the programme.

Korpi had the most beautiful and elegant costume, in my opinion. It looks the nerves got to her, which was no surprise after all the hype that has been going around her, LOL. She has beautiful choreography and interprets the music wonderfully.

I was really happy for Drei that she competed so well and had a beautiful programme.

Joe, accroding to Hanna´s review here:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43160&page=2

Erica did 3t-2t, 3lo, 1a. Hanna mentions her scores being a little low, and I agree with her.

On fsvids you can watch the video clips which have been posted so far.

Last edited:
Jaana - I haven't posted at FSU in several years, and I just can't get into that Forum. Thanks anyway.

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
FYI, FSU's 2006-07 Kiss and Cry forum (Jaana's link above) is closed to people who have not paid ($7.50) for a Season Pass (worth it, IMO, for all the competitions reports and photos by fans around the world).

There's a whole bunch of Jr. Boys movin on up to Srs this season: Abbott, La Roche, Miller, Ratterree, Rouse.
I think this was Jeremy's first international comp. He won US Juniors last year.
Sorry to nitpick/correct you, Joe, but Abbott won Juniors in 2005 (he had a not-so-memorable senior international debut at Nebelhorn Trophy last year). Also, Nick LaRoche has competed at the past four Senior Nationals (since 2003).

Final Results are up:
http://www.stll.fi/finlandia_trophy/results/

Detailed protocols (except for Ladies FS) are also available at the link above.

MEN'S FINAL RESULTS
1 Jeremy Abbott USA 187.26 2 2
2 Alexander Uspenski RUS 184.63 3 3
3 Sergei Dobrin RUS 184.48 5 1
4 Andrei Lutai RUS 182.37 1 4
5 Nicholas LaRoche USA 167.75 4 6
6 Sergei Voronov RUS 157.97 7 5
7 Ari-Pekka Nurmernkari FIN 148.64 6 7
8 Valtter Virtanen FIN 133.88 8 8
9 Justus Strid SWE 116.87 9 9
10 Adrian Alvarado MEX 79.10 10 10

Solid, consistent skating by Jeremy Abbott here, which is great to see! For someone who did not qualify for 2006 Nationals in his first year as a senior (partly due to the extra deep field at Midwestern Sectionals last season), this win must be extra sweet for him!

LADIES FINAL RESULTS
1 Kiira Korpi FIN 146.94 3 1
2 Susanne Poykio FIN 144.05 1 4
3 Julia Sebestyen HUN 142.79 4 2
4 Alisa Drei FIN 142.57 2 3
5 Elena Glebova EST 127.94 5 5
6 Margarita Tertichnaia RUS 116.99 6 6
7 Erica Archambault USA 105.78 9 7
8 Niina Laksola FIN 95.80 8 9
9 Elena Muhhina EST 92.49 7 10
10 Roxana Luca ROM 82.86 10 8

Sylvia - About La Roach, that was my point in saying 'not much since' he won juniors in US in 2002. I did see the 4 senior events listed which were not good.
On rechecking this I also noted that La Roche skated in Nebelhorn 2003 but only his scores are listed.

About Abbott, there is no mention of him skating at Nebelhorn last year. I'm sure you are correct but there is no mention of him there not even the scores.

I'm referring to the USFS 2006/07 Media Guide and I'm beginning to believe I should read it with a grain of salt.

BTW, I don't mind the nitpicks. It keeps me on the ball. thanks.

Joe

Hi Spun Silver - Thanks for the Results of Nebelhorn for 2005. I've never followed the 'B' route in figure skating except to note the top 10 results so I was not aware of Abbott skating in that gig. Just as well, he did poorly.

As for the source, I was using the USFS Media Guide which lists all the skaters in competitions with a small bio and stats. Nothing about Nebelhorn. However, he has a tatoo and his favorite movie is Breakfrast At Tiffany's.:) I'm sure the media wanted to know that.:cool:

Pepito

Sylvia

Record Breaker
As for the source, I was using the USFS Media Guide which lists all the skaters in competitions with a small bio and stats. Nothing about Nebelhorn.
Well, 2005 Nebelhorn is listed in the results published in Jeremy Abbott's Team C bio (his Finlandia medal has bumped him up from the Reserve team and he will receive some funding now :) ): http://www.usfigureskating.org/AthleteBio.asp?id=30117
The USFS media guide is based on the same info as published in the USFS athlete bios online but perhaps some things were left out of the guide due to space limitations.

USFS has two pages of Team USA backstage photos from Finland up at:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/even...ntent/events/200607/finlandiatrophy/pics1.htm
and
http://www.usfigureskating.org/even...ntent/events/200607/finlandiatrophy/pics2.htm