Rachel Flatt not listed for Taipei JGP | Golden Skate

Rachel Flatt not listed for Taipei JGP

I just checked with the ISU website and her name does not appear. Apparently she has been replaced with Blake Rosenthal (that's not Stephanie, btw).

Horrors! I hope that back accident is just a temporary inconvenience and she still skates Nats.

Anyone have any news of Rachel Flatt?

Joe

Numbers Cruncher

Rinkside
Rachael Flatt

Joe,

Another board was saying that's she fine, at her rink working on her triples for Regionals. Which I hope is true, wish I could see her skate this season, maybe at Nationals, huh?

Go Rachael!

NC

I've only seen that Youtube of her and she is quite a dynamo.

She was scheduled to compete in Mexico and Taipei along with Caroline Zhang which would have been colossal competitions.

Which Regionals will she do? She seems to go from MidWestern to Swestern.

Joe

Nigel

On the Ice
I've only seen that Youtube of her and she is quite a dynamo.

She was scheduled to compete in Mexico and Taipei along with Caroline Zhang which would have been colossal competitions.

Which Regionals will she do? She seems to go from MidWestern to Swestern.

Joe

USFS replaced Flatt with Rosenthal at Taipei so no chance for her to do another JGP this season. Too bad. She will have to compete at southwestern regionals next week in Denver, CO so that we can see her at mids and hopefully nationals! Get healthy Ms. Flatt!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The USFS has this thing about injuries and the JGP (unless you're a Dance team, that is).

The Pairs team Butler/Jacobsen (who made the JGPF last season) was 2nd after the SP in Olso. But during the FS warmup, just as Joe launched Bianca into a throw, another skater intruded into their space, and Bianca had a nasty fall, hitting her face hard on the ice. They wanted to go ahead and skate anyway, but the doctors insisted that they not continue because Bianca may have sustained a concussion.

B/J had been tentatively scheduled for JGP Liberec, but the USFS pulled the plug on them, just as they had for Rachael Flatt, and gave the assignment to Best/Young.

Meanwhile, the dance team of Tomarchio/Sinchak's first JGP event has been postponed 3 times because of a concussion she suffered during training this summer. They were scheduled for Hungary, Romania and Netherlands, and each time they were withdrawn and rescheduled;T/S are now due to skate in Czechoslovakia. The last withdrawal (NED) was so late that the place remained vacant. And there is no guarantee that T/S will be able to skate in two weeks, either.

Go figure.

Nigel

On the Ice
The USFS has this thing about injuries and the JGP (unless you're a Dance team, that is).
Go figure.

Does the USFS International committee have a written protocol that they follow each year for reviewing the cases for injured athletes for WD and reassignments?

ElFuego

Rinkside
I think the situation with the US dance JGP's is that they don't have anyone else to send.

Looking at last year's national results, of the 13 teams that competed in Junior, only Samuelson/Bates and Bosley/Corona are age eligible. Everyone else is too old (Davis/White, Miosi/Ponomarev, Huber/Edelmann, Elliman/Serebrenik), or broke up (8 out of the 13 teams who competed in Junior broke up).

Of the 12 teams that competed novice last year, 4 (including Tomarchio/Sinchek) are on the JGP, 6 broke up, 1 is age ineligble, and 1 stayed novice (Deutch/Lorello, and I'd be surprised if the USFSA would give an assignment to the 11th place novices anyway). After monitoring at Lake Placid (and the NAC), a new team (Oswald/Withrow) and a team that didn't make it out of sectionals (Cohen/Roberts) got a JGP event, and neither of them did well enough there (I think depending on the event, the team has to either finish in the top 4 or top 6) to get a second assignment.

So for the last JGP, the USFSA could either have put those two teams out there again, or hope that the novice bronze medallists have recovered from their injury.

Nigel

On the Ice
I just checked with the ISU website and her name does not appear. Apparently she has been replaced with Blake Rosenthal (that's not Stephanie, btw).

Horrors! I hope that back accident is just a temporary inconvenience and she still skates Nats.

Anyone have any news of Rachel Flatt?

Joe

Flatt is listed for the Senior Ladies event at Southwestern Regionals this week in Denver, CO. Hopefully she has recovered sufficiently to compete and make it to Mids.:clap:

Flatt is listed for the Senior Ladies event at Southwestern Regionals this week in Denver, CO. Hopefully she has recovered sufficiently to compete and make it to Mids.:clap:
I did read somewhere that she would skate seniors this season, yet she was listed for JPG. Anyway, I agree let's hope she's well.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joe, you're forgetting that National level and International level are not at all related. Rachael may be competing nationally as a Senior, but she just turned 14 in July and will not be eligible for Senior ISU championship events until the 2008-2009 season. The JGP is the perfect place for her to start her international career, and it is too bad she missed her chance to compete there this season. If she makes it to Nationals and has a good showing there, she may get a chance to compete at Junior Worlds 2007.

Last edited:
Yup - I was confusing the two. However, if Rachel does well in Regs/Sects and makes it to Senior Nats, wouldn't that preclude her from skating Juniors the following season?

Joe

Clarice

Rinkside
No, it wouldn't be a problem internationally. She can compete on the JGP as long as she's age eligible. Remember that different countries do not have the same test structure as the US, so the terms "junior" and "senior" refer to age categories rather than test levels.

Thanks Clarice. One has so much to keep up with and this Forum does a good job with the exchange of information.

Joe

Cal Girl

Rinkside
I am certain Rachel will not have a problem qualifying for Sectionals out of the SW section this year. She can water down her program if necessary to protect her back but I imagine her levels will not be affected and as I hear from exhibitions she still has a loaded program.
Go Rachel!