Top 20 favorite Movies, more or less | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Top 20 favorite Movies, more or less

anya_angie

Final Flight
Ohhhh gosh. I will just try naming these at random. I can't really "rank" them!

Brokeback Mountain (so depressing I can't really watch but it's so powerful I can't look away)
The Ten Commandments (1956 naturally)
Anastasia (1997 animated)
Sleeping Beauty (1959 animated)
Rasputin (1996 HBO w/ Alan Rickman)
Star Wars original trilogy and episode III
LOTR trilogy
The Pianist
Mary Poppins
The Sound of Music
The Cutting Edge (LOL I can't help it! great story even if it does have ridiculous skating)
The Ring (2002 remake, simply cause I haven't seen the original yet)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Gladiator (haha, Yagudin is the one who inspired me to watch it!)
Hero (Chinese film w/ Jet Li)
Anastasia (1956, live-action w/ Yul Brynner and Ingrid Bergman)
Casablanca
Gone With The Wind
A Christmas Story
The King & I (1956 of course, accept no substitutes!)

Don't ask me to rank these LOL they're just off the top of my head. I love all genres of movies and my favorites do change periodically. But there's my list for the week LOL!

flying camel

Medalist
I Love this thread!

1. Sense & Sensibility( My all time favorite movie)
2. House Boat
3. Emma
4. Pride & Predjudice
5. Fourty Second Street
6. Sleeping with the Enemy
7. Oklahoma
8. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
9. The Paper Chase ( Classic)
10. Now & Then
11. Claudine
12. Piece of the Action
13. Westward The Women
14. Please Don't eat the Dasies
15. The Out of Towners ( Jack Lemmon & Sandy Dennis version)
16 The Bad News Bears
17. Little Women
18. Barefoot in the Park
19. Fast times at Ridgemont High
20. The Prime of Miss Jean Broady

Honorable Mention:
Miracle on 34th Street
A House without a Christimas Tree

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My all time favorite - Fantasia (the original)

Other movies that I love (not in any particular order). I love musicals, so they're quite prominent in my list.

2.The Sound of Music
3.The King & I (Yul Brynner, of course!)
4.Oklahoma
5.South Pacific
6.My Fair Lady
7.Mary Poppins
8.Oliver
9. Mr. Holland's Opus
10.The American President
11.Beauty & The Beast
12.The Little Mermaid
13.The Shawshank Redemption
14.The Ten Commandments
15.Ben Hur
16.Schindler's List
17.Apollo 13
18.Gone with the Wind
19.Awakenings
20. The Three Caballeros (Disney - Donald Duck makes a complete fool of himself :rofl:)

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Ok this is a toughie.

Absolute number one spot:

1. Todo sobre mi madre (All about my mother) Almodovar is my favourite director and many of his films will apear in this list.
2. Volver
3. La mala educacion (Bad education)
4. Reinas (queens)
5. Matrix trilogy (does that take up 6 and7 too?)
6. American Beauty
7. Beauty and Beast (Disney)
8. Romy and Michelle
9. Spirited Away
10. Akira
11. Clerks
12. Stand by me
13. Ferris bueller's day off
14. Dirty Dancing
15. Piscilla queen of the desert
16. Torchsong trilogy
17. Beautiful Thing
18. Ma Vraie vie a Rouen
19. Ma vie en Rose
20. Chasing Amy

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Ok this is a toughie.

Love that list, I am putting a couple on the list to get - not surprising for someone from the UK to have great selections like that. Really surprised to see Akira, I agree it was great, just surprised. That was way under the radar here and a number of people complained about the blood, sex / nudity and violence - but considering how much there was I thought it was a good answer to those who thought Heavy Metal was such a great animated flick. Definitely a trip back in time, wow - I was just out of High school. A superb study of the social implications of so many creating an "isolation type of society" for sure - never understood why Tokyo is always getting wiped out, maybe the desire to start over. But every time they start over there are the addictions and people living pointless lives....Maybe that is why I gravitated to Sailor Moon:laugh:

Anyway awesome I am so glad you refreshed my memory. Oh also must note how having the creator being "in charge" of the film made a huge difference IMO.

:agree: Great list!

Last edited:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I have some others to add-

-"I Remember Mama" W/ Barbara Bel Geddes

-"The Passion of The Christ"

-"War & Peace"

antmanb

Record Breaker
Love that list, I am putting a couple on the list to get - not surprising for someone from the UK to have great selections like that. Really surprised to see Akira, I agree it was great, just surprised. That was way under the radar hear and a number of people complained about the blood, sex / nudity and violence but considering how much there was I thought it was a good answer to those who thought Heavy Metal was such a great animated flick. Definitely a trip back in time, wow - I was just out of High school. A superb study of the social implications of so many create isolation for sure - never understood why Tokyo is always getting wiped out, maybe the desire to start over. But every time they start over there are the addictions and people living pointless lives....Maybe that is why I gravitated to Sailor Moon:laugh:

Anyway awesome I am so glad you refreshed my memory. Oh also must note how having the creator being "in charge" of the film made a huge difference IMO.

:agree: Great list!

Thanks Sean!

Akira was one of those films that i had always known about but never watched. It was through a TV series called "Spaced" over here in the UK that i was reminded about it and made me look it up...i happened to remember to look it up that happened to be just when the remastered version was released onto DVD and they were selling a special edition with both the original and the remastered version included.

[Just by the by to let you know Spaced was a two series comedy show in the UK that was written by two very funny comedians, one of whom is more than a little obsessed with sci-fi and cartoons/comics and their love for all things sci-fi and cult-comic cmoes through loads.]

The otehr reason why i love japanese anime so much is that i spent two years in Italy when i was very young (3-5) which is where i was intorduced to cartoons. Most of them were in the japanese anime style dubbed into Italian so i've always had a real love and nostalgia for that way of drawing and animating - the eyes in particular are something that even at that early age struck me - so big in the face and filled with so much detail - the way the light hits the puils and makes it look like stars...it obviously really affected em as a kid so i alway shave good associations with that type of animation. Kind of like the anime scene in the first Kill bill film - i thought that was a fantastic way to show an extremely brutal and violent section of the story without having the full horror of real life. (another couple of films that could be added to the list really!).

Must say though that i am fairly ignorant when it come to knowledge of Japan, ahve always wanted to travel there but time and expenses rarely allow.

Ant

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Kind of like the anime scene in the first Kill bill film - Ant

Was that the first? Wait, they were in both. ??? Those were not memorable movies for me, although I thought the directing was one again top notch the storyline fell short of Terrintino (sp) IMO.
Anyway I do remember the scene in 2, the only thing I like about 2 other than the yellow jumper and Lucy's lovely face. Ah wait, the scene with Vivica...acutely I feel it got old now that I remember - just IMO though.
Ant what was the first series you saw in Italy? I know SM was huge there, well at least I heard, but you seem older than that.

iluvtodd, Gail I might even want to add this one - Mr. Holland's Opus - to mine. Cry cry cry. Good choices too. I wonder how many would vote on a top ten Musicals list. I would put Paint Your Wagon in there for me. I even have a picture of me in the same spot as Ingelburt sang Maria, but I look hideous.:laugh:

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Was that the first? Wait, they were in both. ??? Those were not memorable movies for me, although I thought the directing was one again top notch the storyline fell short of Terrintino (sp) IMO.
Anyway I do remember the scene in 2, the only thing I like about 2 other than the yellow jumper and Lucy's lovely face. Ah wait, the seen with Vivica...acutely I feel it got old now that I remember - just IMO though.
Ant what was the first series you saw in Italy? I know SM was huge there, well at least I heard, but you seem older than that.

If i'm honest i can't remember the names of many of the cartoon i loved there because i was firstly so young but secondly because all of the titles were in Italian so i'm not sure i'd recognise the english translation of them.

What is "SM"?

I'm 28 now so i was in italy from 1981-1983 and a lot of series seemed really 70's. One that i definitely do remember and that i would later see in the UK was Battle of the Planets. The others all stick in my mind for having that "pokemon" style of animation. There was one series that focussed on a mixed Volleyball team called "Mila e Shiro" if you youtube it you will get the opening credits (with song in italian to boot!).

Ant

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
What is "SM"?
Sailor Moon
Battle of the Planets.
Ah my first cartoon "love" Prin:love: :love: (well maybe Trixi from Speed Racer:laugh: ) Go G-Force!
http://www.zshare.net/image/gforcespread-jpg-7y8.html
BTW if you have the chance to flip through a comic (graphic novel;) ) of BOTP now days, the whole theme has gone quite a bit more adult.
http://www.zshare.net/image/prinquerykeyop-jpg.html

Also, so you did see the unedited version of Akira?

Anyhoo, I hope this conversation does not detour people from continuing with the great lists I have seen. Sorry to get side tracked