Who do you consider the best singles skaters right now? | Golden Skate

Who do you consider the best singles skaters right now?

Best active singles skater(Plushenko, Kwan, Slutskaya not really active anymore)

• Total voters

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
This is not who you predict to win Worlds this year but who do you predict to be the best single skaters out there, pick one guy and one women of course. It is multiple choice so vote twice.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I went for Jeffry Buttle - it was a close won battle between him and Weir for me, but the spins and the lines and the choreography and musicality just pipped Weir to the post. Also his competitive record being better on the world stage than Weir gives him the edge for me.

As for Ladies - none really interest me at the moment but i've done some youtube-ing of late and watched more of Yu Na Kim, and her programs look beautiful - she seems to have the maturity of presentation and musicality that the other top contenders don't have for me. As a skater (from my limited viewing on youtube) i prefer her style to Asada'a, and i prefer both girls' style to Meissners. While Asada might have the triple axel in her repetoire and Meissner might have it, and definitely has a world gold medal i think i'd still give the nod as a pure skater to Yu Na Kim.

Ant

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I am very surprised that there are atleast double the votes for "other women" as any other women singles skater. Am I the only one who does not really consider Cohen an active skater at the moment(she is the only one that I did not name that I could see getting so many votes)or is there another skater people feel so highly about that many vote her the best(Csizny or someone like her).

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
It is interesting to compare this poll to the predicted World winners poll. Somebody like Joubert garners far more support in the predicted World Champions poll, then the best skater poll. Conversely a Johnny Weir garners far more support in a best skaters poll then a predicted World Champions poll. I understand why that is as well but intersting nonetheless.

Skye

On the Ice
It is interesting to compare this poll to the predicted World winners poll. Somebody like Joubert garners far more support in the predicted World Champions poll, then the best skater poll. Conversely a Johnny Weir garners far more support in a best skaters poll then a predicted World Champions poll. I understand why that is as well but intersting nonetheless.

Sad, but true.

April

Rinkside
Johnny Weir and Kimmie get my vote. I love Weir's personality and skating. He's such a character; and Kimmie is a joy to watch.

Helen88

Spectator
Kimmie - she's got so much personality, both on and off the ice - even if she does sound a tiny bit like a seven year old :laugh:

I don't remember who I voted for but right now, January 2007, I'm going to say Takahashi and Mao.

Takahashi is one determined, fighting, artistic AND technically exciting athlete. He has all the qualities of greatness IMO, and it's quite amazing that (as I've mentioned before) he doesn't skate small and cute like Oda but like a man. I like the way he can switch styles from techno to "danseur noble." Love his footwork.

Mao is just a phenom - technically incredible and a delight to watch. Her combination of lightness and power is truly remarkable. She still has a childlike quality that goes to my heart but at the same time she is a 21st C. superathlete. I also think she's here for the long haul, and because SHE wants to be, not because anyone else had a dream for her. I'm really glad she has her sister to keep her company and challenge her. It works both ways - Mai is talented and lovely too.

I like many other current competitors too, especially Miki and Johnny, but Johnny's commitment seems to be wavering and I'm worried about Miki's strength. She is more exciting than Mao for me, but I suspect Mao will be around at the top longer. But I love Miki's drive and passion. She is a firebird on ice.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
My 2 fav. skaters are Jeffery Buttle and Yu-Na Kim.
I love Jeffery's programs. He's the best IMO at conecting the elements. I love his footwork and his spins and the rest of his choreography is amazing.:bow: He moves like a dancer which is nice to see. His jumps aren't bad either, they're just not super consistant.
Kim is amazing. Her jumps are beautiful and her programs are well chorographed. A perfect blend of artistry and athletisism.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
single's favorites

I really liked Takahashi in his Phantom program. I wish Sandhu could get his head together and do a clean program - he has very elegant lines and has a dancer's sensibility.

Of the females, I think Alissa is the most promising.....

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I voted for Brian and Mao. I would have voted for Stephane but he is always has some type of injury that could prevent him for competing.

Dee