Thread: And we're off... hopes for the new season

Custom Title

And we're off... hopes for the new season

I must admit that I have finally begun to get excited about the season soon to kick off.

What are your greatest hopes for the new season? This might be wishes for a particular skater, or just ideas in general.

Here are a few things I'd like to see happen:

1. Better spins. Last season's CoP inspired multiple position mish-mash was very disappointing. I'd like to see fewer (better) positions and more revolutions.

2. Fewer "Beillmann" positions in spins and spirals.

3. Musical selections with greater artistic merit and integrity.

4. Shen and Zhao return to former glory.

5. More passion, more heart and more clean programs. It seems that many skaters fell pray to Olympic year nerves last season.

Tripping on the Podium
    I agree! Better spins and less Beillmanns!!

I am also interested in the progress of some of the up-and-coming Canadian men (such as Shawn Sawyer).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by waxel View Post
    1. Better spins. Last season's CoP inspired multiple position mish-mash was very disappointing. I'd like to see fewer (better) positions and more revolutions.

2. Fewer "Beillmann" positions in spins and spirals.
    I agree!!! As I've already said in another post, I hate to see all that spins with too many changes of edge and position. IMO, what is more important is the quality of the spin. Maybe a lesser level spin but worth a +3 GOE.

Waxel - hope to see you in Hartford.

I am looking forward to everything you mentioned. In addition, I want to see if skaters I have seen last year have improved over last year and not just presenting the same program to different music.

Joe

Better (fast and well-centered) spins with good positions.
    If I never see another Biellmann (or at least a few seasons) I won't mind.
    If I never see that position (free leg straight up to the side of the skater) again I won't mind.
    Fewer quads.
    More jump sequences.
    Better footwork (frenetic isn't better).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    More jump sequences.
    I really miss jump sequences, but I think that with the stupid COP rule of the -20% for sequences, we won't see that move anymore.

no Carmen

More Bielmanns and less complaining J/K, to much of an opportunity.

ETA..second thought, maybe it would be nice. I just want to see some good comps where the skaters are happy with their performance and people appreciate them for who they are and what they decide to do. But hey, that's just me.

Oh yah, and Fumie skate to Bolero
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 10-13-2006 at 06:02 PM.

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    I hope to see a few dynamite skaters who just got out of the junior level. I can't wait to see some of these skaters that I've been hearing about forever.

I hope to see alot of good edging, pointed toes, and an obvious passion for their skating.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndmark View Post
    I agree! Better spins and less Beillmanns!!

I am also interested in the progress of some of the up-and-coming Canadian men (such as Shawn Sawyer).
    I second this about Shawn Sawyer and I must add - I hope Jeff's season will not be hindered by his injury.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new faces & future stars of figure skating. With so many of the elite skaters sitting out the GP season it is the perfect time for the youngsters to shine.

well I'd say better coverage of all major players, not just the 'commentator favorites' but forget that already

other than that I just want to see real competition... where everyone skates darn near close to perfect and makes it anyone's game to win.

Custom Title
    I agree with all of yours, Waxel, plus, I'd really like to see some knew faces come up and knock my socks off.
    Post-Olympics is always a time for a changing of the guard and I'd like a few new skaters to get excited about.

Some programs to love would be a big plus in some of the disciplines too. Haven't loved a pairs program since B&S and S&P left. And my dance love was thin on the ground last season as was, well, all the disciplines really, now that I think back.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    I second this about Shawn Sawyer and I must add - I hope Jeff's season will not be hindered by his injury.
    Jeff's season is over for now (at least the first half). He has withdrawn from both of his GP events.