Moves that you Miss | Golden Skate

Moves that you Miss

gio

Medalist
Which moves do you miss after COP?

-Jumps sequences (as Marina Kiellmann did)
-jump combinations with the half loop and than the 3Flip (Plushenko)
-the Trenary move one-foot axel into a 3Sal
-Delayed axels
-Laybacks as Nikodinov did
-Spirals without change of position

for the newest moves I would like to see more hydroblading and cantilevers.

The Wally
The Inside Axel
The multiple same jumps to the music: e.g., 3 axels in a circular movement.

The simple but well executed camels and sitsspins
The Camel to a smooth transition to a straight leg sitsspin
The Camel jump to the other foot Camel
The Dorothy Hamil Crossfoot Spin.

Joe

lotusland

On the Ice
Split Flip jump
2 Axel/Half Loop/3 Salchow combination
Russian Splits
Outside-Inside-Outside Spread Eagles (or the reverse) that span the length of the ice

But mostly I miss, watching beautiful, musical, unique programs comprised of a variety of elements that are crafted to the music not to the score sheet!:yes:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I'd like to see the Arabian maneuver come back; this was a big thing in the late 70s/early 80s, when I first started getting into skating, but I haven't seen them in many many years. And the Russian Split doesn't get used very often either.

I personally am not a big fan of any jump combo involving the half-loop. This is in part because it seems like just about every program I've seen with one of those in it, has some semi-disaster in it as either a direct or indirect result of the half-loop. Either it seems to me that it throws the whole momentum of the combination off overall, due to the varying degrees of power a skater needs to execute the three jumps correctly; or, for some reason (and I don't know what to make of this), a large percentage of programs with a half-loop combo in it seem to finish about 1-3 seconds off the music, i.e, Tara Lipinski in just about every competition she competed in in 97-98 except the Olys. She put that half-loop combo in there toward the end and I'm convinced the momentum slowed her down to where she was unable to finish with the music. JMHO.

dutchherder

Final Flight
moves I miss

I guess it's not so much specific moves, but *how* the moves are executed that I miss. Remember when all the great skaters had a "trademark" move that they just did better than everyone else? Brian Boitano's death drops and spread eagles, for example... Now it seems the men don't have any, and the women are all trying to make it their spiral....even if it's not good.:frown2:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I'd also like to see someone incorporate the stag jump; I've never actually seen one executed, just pictures of them from the greats of the 40s and 50s.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Spread Eagles with a change of edge that are held for a while....Not just a few seconds but nice and long - like Brian Boitano use to do

Ina Bauer’s that goes diagonal like Shiz does...so lovely. Oh, and it has to have a deep arch in the back and a good spread in the legs.

Figures/edgework that trace patterns....nice example of control but also a good place to catch a breath...and not with wild arm flinging.

Camel spins that when the skater goes into the spin, they don't move their arms in such a way that it looks like they are "swimming or breast-stroking" into the spin.

STRAIGHT free leg in the camel and while I'm not sure what it’s called, but where you role over onto your hip and face sideways.

Deep sits in the sit spin and good posture. No hunching over ala Timmy goeble

Solid, clean, quiet stroking (I like to hear the edges but not scratching)

Natural hands...none of this bending the wrist in a tentative manner

Good posture....

Holding positions and none of this frantic movement. Strong, powerful stroking that gets you from point A to B without having to "push" or "bob". I think of Tara Lipinski and Katy Taylor in their frantic stroking and pushing and bobbing...nothing smooth about them.

Landings that are held for a while and have a deep edge and high free leg. None of these "baby" landings where the skater is basically on their toe pick or on the heel of the blade and can't hold it, so they turn out of it. And low hanging legs.

Simple spins...as in choose one position and hold it for a while. No up and down, change position a million times.

Just a few...:biggrin:
Darby

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Natural hands...none of this bending the wrist in a tentative manner

:eek: That is something I just LOVE. Please keep that, please I love it!!!! Oh well, I guess not every one likes Jazz Hands either :laugh:

OK, In reading I found two I am not familiar with.

Inside Axel - is this just as obvious as it sounds - inside edge? And wow, is that possible?

Arabian maneuver?

Sorry, not meaning to devert from the Topic. Also reviewd a Dorthy - The Dorothy Hamil Crossfoot Spin.:clap: :clap:

Stag Jump video - http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/recog_sj_stag.htm Not the best, but way better then anything I can do.
Just had to share -
http://www.picturetrunk.com/2006/10262006/2b01c65caf.jpg
questionable if one, but to cool not to share -
http://www.picturetrunk.com/2006/10262006/2dc8000047.jpg
personal fave cover though not a Stag
http://www.picturetrunk.com/2006/10262006/902635e127.jpg
Anyone do "back scratchers?"

Last edited:

lisadotdash

Rinkside
I keep hearing cross-overs all the time and I'm not exactly sure what they are or what the skaters are doing now in place of them now.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
The Illusion - one does not see this great move much anymore. Also Russian split jump as executed by Toller Cranston. A classic sit spin - not these crazy bent over positions the men do.

amber68

On the Ice
I keep hearing cross-overs all the time and I'm not exactly sure what they are or what the skaters are doing now in place of them now.

The crossover is a basic figure skating skill. In a crossover, a skater alternately crosses and uncrosses the feet while stroking . Obviously the skaters still do them and will always do them.My favourites: Plushenko and Kwan – their crossovers are textbook

sillylionlove

Medalist
I feel like all the programs look the same because of the COP. All the female spiral sequences look the same and actually they usually are the same. I miss seeing routines that are different from each other.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I feel like all the programs look the same because of the COP. All the female spiral sequences look the same and actually they usually are the same. I miss seeing routines that are different from each other.

I agree. In fact, the spiral is overused. I like it when a spiral is incorporated into an other move.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I'd also like to see someone incorporate the stag jump; I've never actually seen one executed, just pictures of them from the greats of the 40s and 50s.
MK did a modified stag jump in her 03 LP

Michelle's stag jump:
http://www.usolympicteam.com/photo_gallery/michellekwan/photo02.jpg

What makes this a "modified" stag jump?
You know, for all the criticism that Michelle's programs over the years were similar to each other, every year she managed to come up with a new move to incorporate. As Michelle herself said, "How many times do people want to see me do a triple Lutz?"

But moves in the field, like the year she put in a Charlotte, kept her programs ever fresh and interesting. She had the knack for making highlight moments out of what are throw-away moves for other skaters (and which do not receive any credit in the CoP.)

Last edited: