Campbell's Cup - on TV TODAY! | Golden Skate

Campbell's Cup - on TV TODAY!

heyang

Record Breaker
It'll be airing Sun 10/15 at 1PM eastern time on ABC. 2 Hours. Since that's pretty early, I doubt it'll get pre-empted!

My newspaper TV Guide lists it as North West Fall Open. That name changed is legit?

Also tells me it is being held at 10am in the NWest. California is not all NW and LA would be SW.

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
My newspaper TV Guide lists it as North West Fall Open. That name changed is legit?

Also tells me it is being held at 10am in the NWest. California is not all NW and LA would be SW.

Joe

Starts at 11 here, oooh the clock is ticking. :clap:

Joe
Oh oh. Better check to make sure it hasn't been pre-empted by a golf tournament. Campbell's is in Cincinnati.

Eowyn

Rinkside
*bites nails and hopes she gets TV to herself this afternoon*

Thanks for the heads up...will probably DVR it and watch it later. ABC always has too many commercials.

Shoot.....I just missed the first 10 minutes. Doh!

Wow, that arena is EMPTY. So sad.

Antilles

Medalist
Well, I missed the smidge of dance they showed, as it was pre-empted for news coverage of the snow storm in Buffalo. I hope that anyone who taped it programmed their VCR?TiVO for extra time. It ran over by about 15 minutes.

Nice to see the skating season starting again. Most skaters had early season rust, but the programs look good.

R.D.

Record Breaker
(removed potential spoiler as I hear it hasn't aired on west coast yet)

I recorded it (the ladies portion) to DV tape and will make videos when I have time. (count on it being a few days though.)

Last edited:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I wish they would have aired the pairs portion of the competition. I love naomi nari nam and I hope that she is able to achieve great success with her pairs career. I think it is interesting how the popularity of ice dance has grown so much in the US. In days of old they would have shown pairs in lieu of ice dance when pressed for time. I think we can thank tanith and ben for this paradigm shift. Also the popularity of "dancing with the stars" and other dance shows.

They showed B&A and D&L dance programs but none of Pairs. Is that correct?

I think D&L won but I am not sure. Have no idea who won the Pairs.

My impression:

As it is the first competition (and I use that term lightly) of the season, I didn't look for results as being all that important.

The Japanese Men ALL had very good programs and Oda has matured significantly,

Johnny with his 1968 Afro, skated a rather masculine routine and it worked.

Scott was somewhat cautious throughout. He must put some zip into the program. He could podium this year at Nats. He has to deal with the up and coming junior boys going into senior men.

Evan with last year's Don Jose was fine but nothing significant this year.

Mai Asada - My oh my, how I like this lady! I hope she doesn't get branded as "the other Asada". This gal is mature and a real challenge for the Worlds. Lori has made a wonderful Swan Lake program.

Emilie has to be the happiest skater on the ice. She did nicely.

Miki. Has come alive and she's skating with much more fluidity, and Morozov's footwork just enhances the program.

Sasha. Skated well but nothing new to her Dark Eyes. If she really plans to go for a 3rd try at the 2010 Olys, she has a lot of technical catch-up to work on. I get the feeling she will not defend her US title next year.

Mao - I was kind of disappointed. She's no longer the little kid but a grown up lady and needs to bring her performance up to the senior level.

Kimmie has improved her presentation, maybe not enough but the season is still early.

The above are only impressions of this early somewhat competition, and I doubt if there is anything here to predict what will happen in the GPs.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
Joe, I couldn't agree more about Mai!!! :clap: I absolutely love her style, and I wish they would stop talking as if she can't do any jumps ... she did just fine today, IMO.

I also enjoyed Miki and really hope she can build on this.

I was pretty unimpressed with both Mao and Kimmie ... blah.

Johnny's program was good and has great potential, so let's see where he takes it.

And just one thought on something here in general ... I hate what COP has done to the spins!!! All these skaters contorting themsleves into all kinds of unimagineable positions ... they are slow and poorly done in most cases. Oh, what I wouldn't give for a simple spin with great position, speed and centering!

mzheng

Record Breaker
Looked at USA web site pre competetion photos. Kind of feeling sad not seeing MK there......not plan to watch since I have some house errands to run, but found some speared tapes just taped it any way. Now I'm watching it, my impression so far:

What did Terry was talking that Mao and Kimmie will competed at top head to head next 5,6,7 years? Let's see how this prediction pans out.

Tenith looked a lot mature than I have ever seen her. I like her apperance now than ever.

Johnny, I just love and love his SP this season. I have to admmit this is the first time that I loved his program when he first performed. Not the usual femine style. He skated through whole program with tension. And here and ther I saw some shade of old yagudin's passion. As the season goes, I really hope to see this program gecome a master piece.

Heard Mike weiss was mentioned. Saying he is not officially retired yet. But where is Mathew S.? Heard he going to Connell study the law. But does he giveup skating completely? He never been judged fairly. And where is Ryan J.?

Not excited with Evan's LP. How this program brought house down at Olympics was a mystery to me.

Yeah, I have to agree all those who likes Mai's skating. She really has nice and soft style.

Like Ando's program. She looked not as tense as last season. What did she fall on?

Sasha, I can still watch her even she dosn't do any jump.

Mao and Kimmie both not impress me that much. Mao still looks like a little girl, she does have good spring in her jumps. Kimmie at first glance, she looked much mature than last year, but once she started skating, I really don't see too much improving. Still pump her lower back when she back crossovers, the hands still look like a rowing padels. Some thing here and there looked still a little awkward.

Maybe I'm spoiled, or too picky. But at time like this one can't help thinking about Sasha, with all her gift and style on ice why can't her just stand up once won a WC. Do I have to hear ABC hype on how wonderful Kimmie and Mao are, then found out how juniorish they looked?

Last edited:

76olympics

On the Ice
I also thought Mai looked wonderful and strong artistically and technically. She is an interesting skater and seems to have her own style. I agree with others that Mao and Kimmie don't look mature yet. I thought Dick's comments about Mao were on the money. Her jumps are impressive but the feeling and style are not there at this point. Kimmie, please take off the watch!

I liked Johnny's program and he looked relaxed. I hope he can build on that and it will be a really memorable routine by nationals. I really hate the focus on the quad and wish it would go away, frankly. I think it has really increased the physical injury quotient beyond its value as an element ( Buttle, Yagudin, and so many others).

I also am tired of the slow and contorted spins. Oh, for just one Wylie scratch spin! (Heck, I would settle for a skater like Wylie! But, I am biased in that respect)

Does anyone know what Inoue and Baldwin's program looked like? I don't believe it was televised and I wonder if it was their new program .

Dick looked in really good shape. I turned the program on a bit late and heard him making some bizarre analogy about video games that had Terry audibly laughing ( I think it was during Oda's performance.) I knew then that the season had truly begun.....

janka

Rinkside
I wasn't thrilled by the new Johnny's program. It looked pretty unfinished to me and I guess he's not yet in the best shape.also I guess i prefered more his smooth and delicate performances, this looked not like him to me and I felt that the first time ever watching his performance and I track his career for a while and have seen every available program of his since he was just a teenager. I hope he'll make it better through out the season

rain

Record Breaker
Just finished watching the ladies on TV. A few initial comments:

Missed Mai Asada, unfortunately, and Hughes.

Sasha looked better than I expected, actually, for this early in the season, where, by all accounts, she is not planning to seriously compete for some time. She was still the only lady there who had the presence that reached to the rafters.

Watching Mao Asada was definitely interesting. She has undoubtedly grown a lot since I last saw her. No longer the little pixie (in size) she once was, I thought she looked clearly as if she is still adjusting to her newfound height. Not surprising at all, but it is effecting her performance, not only of the jumps (which I think actually look like she will be on top of in no time), but also the artistic component. She looked a little like she was saying to herself occasionally, oh right, my legs are twice as long now. I don't know if it was just because it is so early in the season, but there was absolutley zero connection to her music happening so far. Very mechanical presentation.

The one I was most impressed with is Kimmie Meissner. I thought it was almost too bad that she won the world title last year, as she had not had time to develop artistically at all before the meteoric success. But I thought her program and movement this year is a huge step up in that direction. She doesn't quite have the confident presentation of it down yet, though I think part of that is that it's so early in the season, but great potential there for a breakthrough artistic year. The music and choreography is really great in her new program and delivers a much more polished, sophisticated style than her rather empty previous efforts. With a little more work in front of an audience, she can really sell this. I've seen her look off the ice, and I think a haircut so she doesn't always have to wear those really grandma (on her) looking buns would be a plus, but I know what it's like to be attached to your hair so.....